Menu

s/o son's growth - how much taller after age 16?

I think this very much depends on the child. Our doctor said that the best indicator is how much "puberty" has already happened. He assured my son who is 15.5 and 5'9" that he probably has some more growing to do based on his sparse body hair and apparent late development. My son hopes he right. ;)

Our doctor is pretty sensitive to development because he was a late bloomer who ended up being tall. My boys are athletes and it is becoming very frustrating for them to be on the late side. Our doctor also assured them that kids who grow later often grow more. :) I don't know if there is any proof of that, but it made my boys hopeful. ;)

I think this very much depends on the child.
:iagree: I think some men stop growing when they are 16 or so and others grow until they are 24.
My father grew several inches in college.
My nephew was about 6'1" when he went to college, but he is 6'4 now, a year after graduation.

I'm 6 feet tall now, but I was the shortest kid in my class until 8th grade. I think I did all my growing between then and about age 20.

When my cousin was 16 he was totally bummed he was only 5'6" - a short guy in a family of tall men (between 6' and 6"4" on average). Then, I swear, it seemed like overnight, when he was 18 or maybe 19, he just shot up and topped off at 6'1".

His brother's son (another of my cousins) also experienced something similar in recent years. I guess I saw him when he was 16ish (a couple of years ago) and he was still pretty short, about 5'8" and we were all telling him about his uncle because he was upset he wasn't tall, even his sisters were all 6' to 6'2" and he wasn't growing, hadn't in over a year. Then, this year, I saw him again just before his graduation (high school) and he'd shot up and is now the tallest guy in the family - 6'6" - and he just turned 18.

So, there's hope!

How much did your sons grow after age 16? One of mine is still hoping for a bit more height.

My son isn't yet 16, but three of my younger brothers grew several inches after 16. The one closest in age to me (and why I remember it) was 5'11 our junior year. He was on the varsity basketball team and shorter than everyone else by at least a head. Our second year in college he walked on to the basketball team and had grown to 6'4" (which is where he stopped). The other two followed similar suit - slow and steady those early- to mid-teen years, then *bam* in the super late teens. Another brother had a major growth spurt as a younger teenager and hit 6' by 14-15. He never grew any taller and is now the shortest of all my brothers. For the longest time we thought he'd grow to be freakishly tall, but nope.

Genetics are freaky.

Oldest ds grew until he was 20. If your sons are worried about height and sports, I can definitely understand. DS was always the slightest and the smallest. It was very frustrating to see him passed over because of this. He always tried to make the best of it. He is now taller than most of his friends (6'2") that he played ball with.

If we had listened to the pediatrician, ds would be about 5'8. It's not an exact science. When he was 13 I insisted on tests to see if he needed growth hormones. Doctor did an x-ray, turned out his bones were estimated to be those a 10-year old. Dr. said to expect a big gap in his growing.

DH was one of those who grew 6" between junior and senior year of high school, almost all during that one summer. He was smaller as a child, also.

I look back on this now and think it was a lot of worrying for nothing. Just something that comes with the mom job.