Menu

"Why do we have to study logic?"

Wondering what others say when a student asks, "Why do we have to study logic? What does it have to do with my life?" What will be a particularly persuasive answer/example for early logic stage/6th grade boys?

All three boys are definitely wandering around in the logic stage. (Actually, his question continued with, "And what do these pigs have to do with me?" :lol: We've been doing Perplexors, and there was a series of problems about pigs.)

We talked about specific areas or times when being able to think logically is important.... law, debate, listening to talk radio, listening to "experts" and trying to determine the validity of their arguments, political debates, campaigns, advertising,...

Anyone have another approach to, or a great answer in a nutshell to, "Why study logic?"

Thanks!

the short answer as given to my kids, "because it makes you smart."

other than that, I agree with all of the other reasons already given, but my 12 year old wouldn't care to hear all of them.

hahahaha, that's similar to what I tell my son! "Because it helps you to think clearly. Don't you want to know if others are trying to trick you?" If he presses further, "It gets your mind off yourself and onto what others are saying, and you will want to know how to evaluate that!"

"By virtue of the fact you are asking..." then I'd smile.

I've always told ds we have to study logic so he'll know how to argue properly. The kid was born negotiating everything, good critical thinking skills will be a survival skill for him. His favorite word is WHY?

The thing about logic is you have to study it as well, because if they get too close to your understanding of the subject they will outwit you. We've had a few close calls in the past. I proudly went through the entire logic book BEFORE school this year. :lol:

We're also doing Rulebook for Arguments this year. I told dh I plan on giving a copy to ds's future wife, as soon as they announce their engagement. She's going to need it, whomever she is.

This is a fun question because it begs for a completely illogical answer like, "We study Logic because studying English grammar can help you write clearly." Hopefully the child will recognize that logic is necessary to argue his idea that logic is unnecessary and see the absurdity.