What's with the ads?

#1 yvonne

yvonne

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1599 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

Wondering what others say when a student asks, "Why do we have to study logic? What does it have to do with my life?" What will be a particularly persuasive answer/example for early logic stage/6th grade boys?

All three boys are definitely wandering around in the logic stage. (Actually, his question continued with, "And what do these pigs have to do with me?" :lol: We've been doing Perplexors, and there was a series of problems about pigs.)

We talked about specific areas or times when being able to think logically is important.... law, debate, listening to talk radio, listening to "experts" and trying to determine the validity of their arguments, political debates, campaigns, advertising,...

Anyone have another approach to, or a great answer in a nutshell to, "Why study logic?"

Thanks!

#2 ktgrok

ktgrok

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8570 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:11 PM

If you can't spot errors in other people's logic they will be able to trick you into doing anything. If you can't craft your own arguments logically no one will do what you want them to to do.

Maybe a more real life applicable program? One on logical fallacies?

#3 ChrissySC

ChrissySC

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3277 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

I conside that it is in order to determine the value of the answer to your question and the ability to provide an answer of value.

As well, I see a great deal of benefit in the thinking process.

#4 DB in NJ

DB in NJ

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2655 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:15 PM

the short answer as given to my kids, "because it makes you smart."

other than that, I agree with all of the other reasons already given, but my 12 year old wouldn't care to hear all of them.

#5 redsquirrel

redsquirrel

The Stuff of Legends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7171 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

I tell my 6th grader that it will help get him ready for high school math. What can he really say to that? It's not like he's done it yet.

#6 yvonne

yvonne

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1599 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:03 PM

Thanks,Katie, Chrissy & redsquirrel!

:lol: I use that one for Latin, Donna!

#7 Colleen in NS

Colleen in NS

Fabric, Yarn, and Paper Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6746 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:31 PM

other than that, I agree with all of the other reasons already given, but my 12 year old wouldn't care to hear all of them.

hahahaha, that's similar to what I tell my son! "Because it helps you to think clearly. Don't you want to know if others are trying to trick you?" If he presses further, "It gets your mind off yourself and onto what others are saying, and you will want to know how to evaluate that!"

#8 elegantlion

elegantlion

An Adventure Awaits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24703 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:39 PM

"By virtue of the fact you are asking..." then I'd smile.

I've always told ds we have to study logic so he'll know how to argue properly. The kid was born negotiating everything, good critical thinking skills will be a survival skill for him. His favorite word is WHY?

The thing about logic is you have to study it as well, because if they get too close to your understanding of the subject they will outwit you. We've had a few close calls in the past. I proudly went through the entire logic book BEFORE school this year. :lol:

We're also doing Rulebook for Arguments this year. I told dh I plan on giving a copy to ds's future wife, as soon as they announce their engagement. She's going to need it, whomever she is.

#9 abacus2

abacus2

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:22 PM

This is a fun question because it begs for a completely illogical answer like, "We study Logic because studying English grammar can help you write clearly." Hopefully the child will recognize that logic is necessary to argue his idea that logic is unnecessary and see the absurdity.

#10 laughing lioness

laughing lioness

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5675 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:29 PM

To know the deep magic.:001_smile:

What's with the ads?