Menu

Personality changes with Autism/Tourettes?

acat

For the most part, things were going along wonderfully last year. I was proud that my third grade daughter with PDD-NOS was doing much better at home that in the PS and was progressing socially. Over the summer, Tourettes syndrome somehow got thrown into the mix. Now, at age 9, we suddenly have issues with her being stubborn and obstinate in an unusually articulate manner (at least for her). This does not trouble me as much, since it seems like an improvement over not being able to express herself before. What does bother me is watching her do something right in front of me and then denying that it ever happened. We have rarely had to use punishment before, but now are using timeouts. For instance, she woke up this morning and sat with her sister on the chair. I reprimanded her for an obvious invasion of her sister's space. She cried and carried on and refused to admit that she had engaged in any such behavior. I put her in timeout.

Has anybody else seen personality shifts like this with autism or emerging Tourettes syndrome?

We have been on an "autism" diet for over month. Could this still be playing a role?

not that this is a lick of help to you, but my dd who is 11 next week does the EXACT same thing. she will deny doing something that i watched with my own eyes. oddly, i dont think shes "lying" about it either, or trying to cover it up... its almost (for lack of better words) she didnt even know she did it.

ive never been able to understand it. shes dx'ed pdd-nos, adhd severe impulsivity, mood disorder-nos .

Could it possibly be related to hormone issues? It's not unusual for those to start around 9 or 10 even before visible signs of puberty start to occur. Both of my girls (who I didn't expect to be early at all!) started with the hormone stuff around that age although they didn't get their periods for another few years.

My special needs kiddo is only a little guy, but several friends with special needs kids who are older have mentioned that things get a bit wonky around the onset of hormonal changes.

not that this is a lick of help to you, but my dd who is 11 next week does the EXACT same thing. she will deny doing something that i watched with my own eyes. oddly, i dont think shes "lying" about it either, or trying to cover it up... its almost (for lack of better words) she didnt even know she did.

Thank you for sharing! That is exactly what it is like with mine.

Could it possibly be related to hormone issues? It's not unusual for those to start around 9 or 10 even before visible signs of puberty start to occur. Both of my girls (who I didn't expect to be early at all!) started with the hormone stuff around that age although they didn't get their periods for another few years.

My special needs kiddo is only a little guy, but several friends with special needs kids who are older have mentioned that things get a bit wonky around the onset of hormonal changes.

I had been wondering this because of some other signs, mainly body odor. She is very underweight so I had dismissed it as being unlikely. You might be right though.

My 14yr old daughter with a Tourette's diagnosis (currently tic free) does this exact same thing. I will watch her throw something at a sister (impulsively, playfully) and when the sister cries, she will say she didn't do it. I don't know why she does this.. It's like she really believes that she didn't do it though. I think what she means is she "didn't mean to make her cry", but for some reason she just says that she didn't do it. I just watched her do it!!!!!! :glare:

I had been wondering this because of some other signs, mainly body odor. She is very underweight so I had dismissed it as being unlikely. You might be right though.

Which autism diet is she on? Sounds like she could have an issue with gluten if she is underweight.. and body odor is a sign of an imbalance of sorts within the body. Maybe even a toxicity or nutrient deficiency or overgrowth of bad bacteria. There is a rhyme.. "If you stink, take Zinc". You could also give her chlorophyll.. and activated charcoal to soak up toxins. Is she on probiotics? Just throwing out ideas as we have dealt with all of these issues successfully. My daughter's Tourette's is completely gone now, but she does still have the impulsivity.

Which autism diet is she on? Sounds like she could have an issue with gluten if she is underweight.. and body odor is a sign of an imbalance of sorts within the body. Maybe even a toxicity or nutrient deficiency or overgrowth of bad bacteria. There is a rhyme.. "If you stink, take Zinc". You could also give her chlorophyll.. and activated charcoal to soak up toxins. Is she on probiotics? Just throwing out ideas as we have dealt with all of these issues successfully. My daughter's Tourette's is completely gone now, but she does still have the impulsivity.

Almost the whole family is celiac, so no gluten ever. We have removed dairy and she is still angry about it. She takes Chinese herbs for the tics. I will look into the other things you mentioned. Thanks!

Almost the whole family is celiac, so no gluten ever. We have removed dairy and she is still angry about it. She takes Chinese herbs for the tics. I will look into the other things you mentioned. Thanks!

My daughter with Tourette's is still disgruntled about removing dairy from the house even two years later.. We have tried to reintroduce it several times, but each time she starts having tics again and cystic acne as well. She did test HIGHLY sensitive to dairy on her IgG test too. So she will just have to deal with it!:)

What herbs do you have her on? :bigear:

I really can't say for sure since the acupuncturist designed a formula specifically for her. I cook them on the stove into a tea. They taste bad but are helping. I think he will want to tweak the forumula on the next visit since his goal is to eliminate the tics completely. Finding a good herbalist can be difficult. I like ours, but we have to drive several hours to Chicago to see him.