Menu

Dr. Hive--Skin extremely sensitive and painful to touch, but no rash?

My 11yodd came to me last night complaining that the skin on her arm hurts. Not the muscle or bone, just the skin. :confused: There is no visible sign of a rash or bruising, and she doesn't remember falling or banging it. She said it's worse today, and the area that's painful is larger. It's very tender to the touch. Any clues as to what this might be?

Has she previously had chicken pox? Pain from shingles can show up days to weeks before the rash appears.

Quote from webmd:

"Prodromal stage (before the rash appears):

Pain, burning, tickling, tingling, and/or numbness occurs in the area around the affected nerves several days or weeks before a rash appears. The discomfort usually occurs on the chest or back, but it may occur on the belly, head, face, neck, or one arm or leg.

Flu-like symptoms (usually without a fever), such as chills, stomachache, or diarrhea, may develop just before or along with the start of the rash.

Swelling and tenderness of the lymph nodes may occur."

I hope that is not it :(

She's never had the chicken pox (she's vaccinated, although I know that's not a guarantee). No visible swelling. She's starting to feel like she's coming down with something though (stuffy nose, sore throat). I gave her Tylenol with breakfast a couple of hours ago, but she said it didn't help. :(

I don't have an answer for you....but when you say sensitive on the skin, is it really the skin or under it. You can test this by stroking very lightly with your fingers on the sore place. Is it painful or tender then? Then try a little more pressure, then again with more pressure still. This will give you more idea if it is under the skin or on it.

Also get her to stretch her arm out straight. Does it feel like it is pulling anything tight?

It's very funny that I came across this today, as my left arm is feeling the same way - skin feels tender, but it's not skin - it's under the skin. It feels like there is a spring that's wound too tight when I stretch my arm straight.

I am wondering (for myself) if it is a blood clot. I went to the Dr last week & he said it could be, but it also may be a pulled muscle. He would send me for an ultrasound for a clot if it didn't go away. I have another appointment for 2 days time, as I'm pretty sure it's not a muscle. It's totally different than that, and also I can't remember doing anything to pull it.

I have had a staph infection/cellulitis, and a clot in my other arm where I had a PICC line for chemo. It kind of feels the same way except there is no swelling.

I'm not a panicky person, so I'm not rushing into the ER, and I don't want to panic you by suggesting a clot (good chance it's not!)but I think you should make a Dr appointment.

ETA: The tender places shift around on my arm, but mostly on the inside of the elbow, upper arm, inside forearm, and then mildly wrist & hand & underarm this morning.

Edited by Isabella

I had Shingles once and it started in a similar way. For several days it felt like there should be a rash but there wasn't. It was irritated and burned a bit. Was slightly painful to touch. It was 3 days later that I developed painful bumps, went to my Derm. and he dx. shingles. It became extremely painful.

For now I'd do nothing at all to the area. If it's bothering her and she's unable to focus and have class, then I'd take her to the Ped. just to rule out something.

J

I don't know what this is but I have had it before. It is a burning sensation. The skin feels raw. It starts out feeling like very dry, winter skin and then gets progressively worse to the point that even clothing or sheets touching the skin hurts. I usually rub my skin down with oil when this happens and take Benedryl and then patiently wait for it to go away. It usually last for a week to ten days. It has ony happened about three times. Like I said, I have no idea what causes it because I didn't feel like going to the dr. and saying, "You see this perfectly normal looking patch of skin here? It feels like it is on fire. Any idea what causes that?" Anyhow, I asked here and found other people who said they had the same thing and none of them had answers either and that eventually it goes away so I just waited it out. Sorry.

I'll just add that I occasionally have patches of skin that become really sensitive and if someone brushes them it's painful. I have no idea what it is. It doesn't seem to be related to anything else and generally goes away in a day. It's never lead to anything else.

Me too. It happens once in a while on the inside of my lower left arm. It feels like the skin is sunburned, and then it goes away after a couple hours. I figure it's just a nervous system glitch.

I'll just add that I occasionally have patches of skin that become really sensitive and if someone brushes them it's painful. I have no idea what it is. It doesn't seem to be related to anything else and generally goes away in a day. It's never lead to anything else.

Me too. It happens once in a while on the inside of my lower left arm. It feels like the skin is sunburned, and then it goes away after a couple hours. I figure it's just a nervous system glitch.

Same here. Mine will last for a couple days, but usually feels quite a bit better by the third day.

I think it's a form of neuropathy. My dh has inherited this type of thing from his dad. He will get random patches of skin that get quite painful to the touch but to look at them there is nothing. He also is prone to nerve twitches and has a painful nerve in his earlobe that bothers him. He thinks that one is triggered by the arm of his glasses.

He has talked to his doctor about it and she said neuropathy and that there's nothing to do but wait for it to go away. It always does.

I get the same thing with the same symptoms and duration. It's happened since as far back as I remember, and my kids have described the same thing happening to them. I assumed it happened to everbody as one time or another.