Menu

Landry Academy complaints

Today was the 4th class for Exercise Physiology and Sports Medicine. I was out of town last week and did not listen to the lecture. The teacher talked at the start and end of class about the test that was coming up. Ds didn't bother to say anything to me about it, even though I asked about the class. :banghead:

So, we found out at the start of class today that there was homework due Monday and the test was due today. Ds had done the homework and was waiting for directions on when/how to turn it in, if ever (some of the homework was from week 1). Apparently, he thought that the test that would be distributed at the beginning of this week meant on Friday. :banghead:

We figured out why we didn't know much. No one had bothered to inform us to put our email addresses in their software's profile. Geez. That would have been nice, guys.

They have some nice sophisticated classroom software, but 2/5 classes, the teacher has not been able to load his powerpoint presentation. He said he'd get the slides to the students, but we haven't figured out where they are yet.

Needless to say, I am sending some very undiplomatic emails to the teacher right now. I hate disorganization, especially for the price we paid.

Sue-thank you for posting this. I get emails from Landry and have been tempted by the classes but the cost is quite high so I'm very interested in hearing about the pros and cons. You mentioned one of my pet peeves-that being disorganization. I would have a real problem with that too. Let us know how they respond if you can.

I have heard good things about Greg Landry, but I wonder about the explosion of classes this year. He taught this class last year. He is not teaching it this year.

It reminds me of Home2Teach. The owner's name is Elaine and everyone says she's great, but she grew her empire and 2/3 teachers we had were just plain worthless.

That's too bad. I've seen that sort of thing before. He did add a lot more this year and I got a lot of emails promoting them. Sometimes less is better. I hope it gets better for you because it is a lot of money and you have every right to expect a quality product.

Ds has 4 Landry classes and we have had a great experience so far. In fact, I've been really impressed by the organization and the new Haiku system that we can use to check to see homework, test dates, etc for each class. Have you been checking your class page regularly to see when things are due? Homework that is turned in has a dropbox on this page and dates are shown for tests, etc. Some classes have separate pages for each week (usually listed on the left). Also, anytime you have a problem, you can call Greg Landry himself. I have seen him bend over backwards to make things right for people. We had a small snag at the beginning that was handled immediately. We have quite a group of us in my area now and it's been going VERY well. We plan on continuing throughout high school.

I hope it all works out for you, Sue!

Sue,

I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem with Landry. Our experience has been good so far. I also like the Haiku system. It's easy to check on assignments and tests and to access grades. We received a mass email a week or two before class asking both the student and the parent to register. They must have missed you with this email. I would be disappointed, too.

I spoke with the teacher today. My son was not the only student who was unaware of due dates for assignments/test.

I would think that if the first assignment is due on Monday, that the teacher might have said something in class about it on the previous Friday. He did not.

I would think that if the first assignment is due on Monday, and a student has not turned it in by Friday, that the teacher just might try to contact the student and/or parent and figure out what's up. He did not.

I would think that if the teacher cannot upload the Powerpoint presentation to the classroom software on 8/26 and 9/2 and said that he would upload the slides (somewhere?), that he would have done so by 9/10. He has not. Especially when the test due 9/9 covered material that was on those slides.

I am curious to see just how he is going to grade the assignment, which is to outline the sections of the first 2 chapters, including whatever he said in class that was not in the book. It took me several tries to get that straight from him.

We did register the week or so before and even attended a training session. I watched the training session again. The trainer did cover the account information, but never said to put in an email address.

I am generally a fairly conscientious parent, even with online classes. I know other teachers ds has had have commented on it. I can't imagine how other students are navigating their ways through this.

And here again, is another online class that hands the student the test and tells them to take it without book or notes. Do they really think the student isn't going to be tempted to look the test over while they study for it? These are high schoolers for crying out loud, not priests. I wonder what colleges think of the academic integrity of these classes.

Of course, the teacher is giving lots of grace for these late assignments/test. I've learned my lesson to check the calendar on a daily basis. Maybe I'll even be notified now.

I must say I'm glad it's just a semester long class. This is not the first online class we've done. I do think it's the rockiest beginning we've had.

I'll blame my attitude at least partially on PMS. :auto:

For those of you having good experiences, how far in advance is your teacher posting assignments/tests?

He posted on Wednesday for assignments due the following Monday.

He posted the test on Wednesday with a Friday due date.

Are your assignments posted with longer lead times? Do you know more than what is due this week or next?

My son's other online class this year (Composition with Laurel Tree Tutorials), the assignments are laid out with due dates for the entire year from day 1. Of course, she's been teaching this class for a few years now. She's obviously got it down.

His math class at CC is the same way, just semester long.

The others are not so clear.

For those of you having good experiences, how far in advance is your teacher posting assignments/tests?

My son is taking 2 Landry Academy classes. For one class, the teacher posts the assignments for the week the night before the class. For example, he has a Monday class, so on the Sunday night prior, she posts what is due the following Monday, so he has an entire week to do the work. She gave a one week notice for a test, then the test was open for three days, so it was really a 10 day notice if you took it on the last day. She posts note taking guides for the students to follow and study guides before the test.

The second class has been different. She gives them the assignments at the end of class and for the most part they are due the night before the following class. She also assigns short projects and they have been due anywhere from 10 days out to just one week out. He's working on his third project now. After the class (pretty much immediately), she posts the assignments to the class page.

He posted the test on Wednesday with a Friday due date.

Was this the first you had heard of the test? Wow, that's rough.

Are your assignments posted with longer lead times? Do you know more than what is due this week or next?

We have a syllabus for both classes that indicates what material in the book is covered and what weeks it will be covered, but the specific assignments with page numbers, question numbers, etc. are not included.

Was this the first you had heard of the test? Wow, that's rough.

The teacher talked about the test in class, but ds didn't bother to say anything to me about it. The first I heard of it was the day it was due.

We have a syllabus for both classes that indicates what material in the book is covered and what weeks it will be covered, but the specific assignments with page numbers, question numbers, etc. are not included.

Same here. Well at least we should be notified of assignments and tests now.

I would think that if the first assignment is due on Monday, and a student has not turned it in by Friday, that the teacher just might try to contact the student and/or parent and figure out what's up. He did not.

I wouldn't expect this in high school if the student has just missed one assignment. I would, however, expect a student to contact the teacher if they were unclear of how to turn in assignments.

I would think that if the teacher cannot upload the Powerpoint presentation to the classroom software on 8/26 and 9/2 and said that he would upload the slides (somewhere?), that he would have done so by 9/10. He has not. Especially when the test due 9/9 covered material that was on those slides.

:iagree:I agree w/you 100% - it sounds like he might need some technical assistance. It also sounds like he would need to consider throwing out some of the test questions.

The trainer did cover the account information, but never said to put in an email address.

All of our class specific communication has taken place through the LMS/haiku system. The teacher has a box where you can leave messages for the teacher and the teacher can leave messages for the student. We have not received any emails from teachers.

And here again, is another online class that hands the student the test and tells them to take it without book or notes. Do they really think the student isn't going to be tempted to look the test over while they study for it? These are high schoolers for crying out loud, not priests. I wonder what colleges think of the academic integrity of these classes.

For one class, the teacher did a test quiz to make sure all of the kids knew how the testing worked. She allowed them to take it two times. The test ds had in the same class was a one time tests, you open it once, take it and close it. No going back. It would not be possible for the student to look at it, study, then take it. The computer literally locks them out after they open it once. The second class has not yet had a test.

As homeschoolers, I think the academic integrity of all of our courses falls upon us, as does making sure our students take tests unassisted. I proctor all of my sons tests, no matter who assigns them.

Universities have online classes of their own with online tests as well (although some make you go to campus for the tests if you are local). I would think that many have all developed procedures for the evaluation of on line high school courses. Also, unless I offer the information, I don't know how they would know which classes were online and which weren't.

Of course, the teacher is giving lots of grace for these late assignments/test. I've learned my lesson to check the calendar on a daily basis. Maybe I'll even be notified now.

With Landry, I don't think you will get a specific notification - it is all supposed to be on LMS/Haiku & students are responsible for checking that regularly.

I must say I'm glad it's just a semester long class. This is not the first online class we've done. I do think it's the rockiest beginning we've had.

We had one great beginning and one rocky beginning. This is our first experience with online classes.

I'll blame my attitude at least partially on PMS. :auto:

This was me yesterday! I tried to print a timeline spreadsheet that someone sent to me. It was very badly formatted and I spent a lot of time cleaning it up so that I could get a good printout. It wasn't pretty. :tongue_smilie:

I hope your experiences w/the class get better.

Sue,

I believe my dd is in the same class TechWife outlined where the teacher gives the assignments the night before class(Biology with Mrs. Stokes). No problems here, and dd loves it.

ETA: We also like Laurel Tree Tutorials. Both dds did composition classes last year, and younger dd is doing Intro to Lit this year. Older daughter is having an excellent experience so far with Miss Mattson at Captive Thoughts Tutorials. She teaches middle and high school literature.

Edited by VBCaroline

Sue, I just had to comment on this. I have NEVER in the history of our on-line experience (I think we have worked with 5+ companies and multiple teachers) - I have NEVER had a teacher initiate any kind of contact with me to discuss my child's work.

Never.

Not once.

Really - trying to think back here. I think I can honestly say, "Not one time." and there have been plenty of opportunities with JUST cause!

So don't hold your breath on that one. (Sorry.)

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Sue, I just had to comment on this. I have NEVER in the history of our on-line experience (I think we have worked with 5+ companies and multiple teachers) - I have NEVER had a teacher initiate any kind of contact with me to discuss my child's work.

Never.

Not once.

Really - trying to think back here. I think I can honestly say, "Not one time." and there have been plenty of opportunities with JUST cause!

Thanks, Janice. I obviously need to adjust my expectations. ;)

Ds has four classes. Each teacher handles things a little differently, but all 4 give homework at the end of each class. When it's listed on the website varies a little from teacher to teacher. One requires work to be turned in 2 days before class (so that she can check it over and discuss problems that seem to be common to the class) and the others require it before class time or at midnight the night before. I'm usually around, so I can make sure the homework is written down correctly, but it will be listed on the website in most instances. We have one teacher that only lists what is to be turned in so it's especially important to be sure to hear (and see on the whiteboard) the end of class to get all of the homework. I would think that private/public schools would be similar. I know when I was in school, I was responsible for writing down the assignments.

There are check marks next to the drop boxes when the work has been turned in so that is a good way to double check. Since this is the first year of high school for ds, I am on the class pages often checking to be sure that all is well.

Ds is working hard, but learning a lot. It's been really good for him. Hope you can get everything running smoothly, Sue. Ds 20 had some trouble like this when he started college. No trouble at SPC when he dual enrolled at all, but for some reason, it hit him when he went to his four year college. He would just miss things. He would get A's on everything and then a 0 on something that he was completely unaware of (he's a bit of an absent-minded professor, very smart but not always tuned in). He actually did this in some of his very favorite classes. He did realize his weakness and he made corrections, but I'm really hoping that by getting used to these things in high school, ds 15 can avoid the whole problem.

Edited by BeckyFL

I personally find it appalling that someone notified Landry Academy of this thread. I remember a while back the same thing happened with Scholars Online. This is just WRONG on so many levels. These threads, both positive & negative, are so very helpful to many of us in choosing online classes and to "report" negative comments inhibits the free-flow of important information. Whoever did this should be ashamed of themselves!

Nancy

Do they really think the student isn't going to be tempted to look the test over while they study for it? These are high schoolers for crying out loud, not priests.

:lol::lol:

Very well put, Sue! An issue that is big in colleges today.

I personally find it appalling that someone notified Landry Academy of this thread.

I would assume someone was trying to get help, and trying to get Sue some help.right.now. If someone is more experienced navigating that system and can inform them that other eyes are watching their customer service, and if that ends up helping Sue, I can't see why the privacy to vent is more important than getting her some help?

I don't know, I will probably never use an online academy, but if anyone wants to contact folks to get me more help, or faster help, in any of my posts, feel free!

Julie

I personally find it appalling that someone notified Landry Academy of this thread. I remember a while back the same thing happened with Scholars Online. This is just WRONG on so many levels. These threads, both positive & negative, are so very helpful to many of us in choosing online classes and to "report" negative comments inhibits the free-flow of important information. Whoever did this should be ashamed of themselves!

Nancy

You know, if I were a small business owner, I would be frustrated that someone had problems with my service and, instead of coming to me directly to find a solution, posted the problems online where some of my target client base tends to hang out.

I don't think the OP means any harm to the company, but this thread about the provider will forever be searchable and will turn up in results when someone looks for information about the company. Hopefully, the issue will be resolved to satisfaction all the way around, so the OP can come back and post a glowing report.

Were I the small business owner, I would call her and see if I could solve the problem pronto, in order to serve her well and to do the right thing as a provider of a service.

And then once that had been ironed out, I would wait to see what the OP did, and finally, if she said nothing, I might post here as the owner, to let people know that I had responded to solve the problem and served my client in the best way possible, once it came to my attention that there was a problem.

Whomever informed the company about the thread was probably someone who cares about the company owner, his rep, and his livelihood. There is nothing wrong with that.

Just another way of looking at it.

You know, if I were a small business owner, I would be frustrated that someone had problems with my service and, instead of coming to me directly to find a solution, posted the problems online where some of my target client base tends to hang out.

I don't think the OP means any harm to the company, but this thread about the provider will forever be searchable and will turn up in results when someone looks for information about the company. Hopefully, the issue will be resolved to satisfaction all the way around, so the OP can come back and post a glowing report.

Were I the small business owner, I would call her and see if I could solve the problem pronto, in order to serve her well and to do the right thing as a provider of a service.

Whomever informed the company about the thread was probably someone who cares about the company owner, his rep, and his livelihood. There is nothing wrong with that.

I agree. We are small business owners, too, and know how damaging forum posts can be. Word of mouth is our biggest advertisement. We monitor forums where our service is discussed, and though so far we've seen only good reports, if there were a negative one we'd try to rectify the situation as quickly as possible.

Just my personal opinion, but I have no problem with a business owner calling someone who has a complaint, no matter where that complaint was aired. I would be more upset if I knew the owner had seen or been notified of a complaint and done nothing.

The free-flow of information, both positive and negative, is vitally important, but the owner didn't have this thread censored or removed. Knowing that the owner has contacted the OP to try to fix things actually swings my decision to enroll dd in classes next year in his favor.

And then once that had been ironed out, I would wait to see what the OP did, and finally, if she said nothing, I might post here as the owner, to let people know that I had responded to solve the problem and served my client in the best way possible, once it came to my attention that there was a problem.

Just another way of looking at it.

You know, Valerie, I completely agree with you. I probably should have contacted Greg Landry before spouting off here. I think I did not because I had been having such of a frustrating time with the teacher, and I was feeling like such of an annoying parent, that I just couldn't get myself to call and be a PITA to another person as well.

With 20/20 hindsight, I shoulda called Janice. She would have helped me work out my plan privately. :D

Online classes are expensive, and many of us have no one local to ask about them. The only way I can get real opinions/ reviews (and not just the positive quotes on the websites) is by reading them here. So I am not sorry that someone posts about problems. Even if they fix they fix the problem when addressed, it was still a problem for a parent who has enough on their plate already.

As Rain said, the flow of information, both positive and negative, is important. There is plenty of free advertising here for many curriculum providers. So too should there be honest assessments of the negatives.

You know, Valerie, I completely agree with you. I probably should have contacted Greg Landry before spouting off here. I think I did not because I had been having such of a frustrating time with the teacher, and I was feeling like such of an annoying parent, that I just couldn't get myself to call and be a PITA to another person as well.

With 20/20 hindsight, I shoulda called Janice. She would have helped me work out my plan privately. :D

I was concerned about your take on the owner's action of calling you. Yep, I could see how it might have felt big brother-ish, when (I'm guessing) he wanted to serve you well and resolve the problem.

I wouldn't have thought about this at all, except that someone has been airing "small business owner, resolve your online reputation problems" ads on a local radio station. I can see myself being a small business owner in the future, so it was something that caught my attention.

I hope all is resolved well and your student enjoys the class. :)

vr

We've never done a class with them, but I was considering it until the experience I had this summer. I had planned on my daughter participating in a writing camp they offeres. I had trouble located information in his website which in my opinion was not very user-friendly (atleast for the camps anyway). He answered my first question politely, but I didn't appreciate the tone of his later e-mail. I had planned on signing up for classes through them and sending my daugther to camp. I figured that if he couldn't take the time to answer politely, what would happened when my daugther had an issue or a need at their camp! Now, I just delete his e-mails.

Online classes are expensive, and many of us have no one local to ask about them. The only way I can get real opinions/ reviews (and not just the positive quotes on the websites) is by reading them here. So I am not sorry that someone posts about problems. Even if they fix they fix the problem when addressed, it was still a problem for a parent who has enough on their plate already.

As Rain said, the flow of information, both positive and negative, is important. There is plenty of free advertising here for many curriculum providers. So too should there be honest assessments of the negatives.

:iagree: I have read positive reports about several of the online providers we have tried and we ended up having horrible experiences w/them. I know now that our experience wasn't unique b/c I have since seen people post very oblique questions, guarding their wording for fear of offense, about the very same issues we encountered (like not having graded work from the first semester returned prior to final exams! Or giving a grade that does not match our records and when contacting the school repeatedly, the only response is that they are having trouble reaching the teacher??? Really?? BTW, neither of these are Landry, but we have been burned by online classes repeatedly. PAH is now about the only source I will use.)

Online classes are extremely expensive. When you are paying for a service and actually expecting your student to benefit from it, it is incredibly frustrating when the experience is poor. I really wish I had read more negatives a few yrs ago b/c it would have made me really reconsider if the classes were worth the $$.

:iagree: As someone who was outed for her honest opinion regarding an online class, I felt like it was a betrayal. I gave an honest opinion about a different online provider (after multiple attempts to get information) and was outed to the teacher. That teacher got all huffy at me and made me sound like I was a terrible person for giving my honest opinion based upon my experience. Then I had to worry about capricious grading. (I don't know if that actually happened because we never got a grade despite him finishing the class in May 2010.)

I know now not to post my opinions here because it is not a safe place. PMs are the only way to go now. The downside of having to be so secretive is that others will not benefit from that experience.

:iagree: As someone who was outed for her honest opinion regarding an online class, I felt like it was a betrayal. I gave an honest opinion about a different online provider (after multiple attempts to get information) and was outed to the teacher. That teacher got all huffy at me and made me sound like I was a terrible person for giving my honest opinion based upon my experience. Then I had to worry about capricious grading. (I don't know if that actually happened because we never got a grade despite him finishing the class in May 2010.)

I know now not to post my opinions here because it is not a safe place. PMs are the only way to go now. The downside of having to be so secretive is that others will not benefit from that experience.

I'm sorry that happened to you - how uncomfortable. I don't think I would post a negative opinion if my child were still in the class at the time. However, our online course experience has been mostly positive.

I'm sorry. What a lousy experience.

I don't have any problem with posting at. all. if I have tried to resolve a difference with a business and found them to be non-responsive to "reasonable person" expectations.

P.s. I was recently having a heated discussion with a member of my family, who told me (about themselves) "but I'm not a reasonable person!" LOL!

Edited by Valerie(TX)

They have some nice sophisticated classroom software, but 2/5 classes, the teacher has not been able to load his powerpoint presentation. He said he'd get the slides to the students, but we haven't figured out where they are yet.

Needless to say, I am sending some very undiplomatic emails to the teacher right now. I hate disorganization, especially for the price we paid.

Hmm.. I *just* got something in the mail from them today. I had never heard of Landry Academy before. Guess I won't be looking further into what they have to offer! :tongue_smilie:

Edited by lauranc

I rest my case.

Glad I could help... Honestly, I like to hear reviews: good and bad. I've been lurking on this forum since before it was actually the forum as we all know it today. I get a lot of good information, and occasionally ask questions for more.

I don't see anything wrong with Sue posting about her frustrations, and I don't see how she owes the owner of this company anything. I think it's more than a little odd that someone contacted him. If he's offering a service and charging money for it... people are going to expect something good.

Hmm.. I *just* got something in the mail from them today. I had never heard of Landry Academy before. Guess I won't be looking further into what they have to offer! :tongue_smilie:

This is sad to me. There was a problem and Mr. Landry himself is following up on it in an attempt to resolve things. To me, that is impressive.

It's the same when I go to a restaurant or deal with any other business. I don't expect any place to be perfect. To me, it's the true test of a manager/business when they have to deal with the inevitable problem because there WILL be problems. If we are out to eat and there is an issue, I will ask for the manager. If the manager goes out of his/her way to resolve the issue, I can leave there even more impressed. If they shrug and do nothing, I will never be back and at that point, I may talk about it.

Edited by BeckyFL

This is sad to me. There was a problem and Mr. Landry himself is following up on it in attempt to resolve things. To me, that is impressive.

It's the same when I go to a restaurant or deal with any other business. I don't expect any place to be perfect. To me, it's the true test of a manager/business when they have to deal with the inevitable problem because there WILL be problems. If we are out to eat and there is an issue, I will ask for the manager. If the manager goes out of his/her way to resolve the issue, I can leave there even more impressed. If they shrug and do nothing, I will never be back and at that point, I may talk about it.

For what it's worth, I disagree. If I go to a restaurant, and the food is bad or the service is bad... it doesn't really make the food or the service *better* just because the manager is nice and deals with the issue. I doubt I'd recommend the place to friends and family. (regardless of how friendly the manager was)

I understand what you're getting at though.

For what it's worth, I disagree. If I go to a restaurant, and the food is bad or the service is bad... it doesn't really make the food or the service *better* just because the manager is nice and deals with the issue. I doubt I'd recommend the place to friends and family. (regardless of how friendly the manager was)

I understand what you're getting at though.

If they have one new waiter that isn't up to par, you wouldn't go back? Even my very favorite places have messed up... cold potatoes or the wrong drink order, etc. If I'm not perfect myself, I don't expect others to be. I just expect it to be taken care of when a mistake is made. There is no perfect business, no perfect church, no perfect family. Businesses, like any social organization, are made up of people and people make mistakes.

Edited by BeckyFL

If they have one new waiter that isn't up to par, you wouldn't go back? Even my very favorite places have messed up... cold potatoes or the wrong drink order, etc. If I'm not perfect myself, I don't expect others to be. I just expect it to be taken care of when a mistake is made.

I don't expect perfection either. But, if it's something I have to spend a lot of money on (online class), I'm going to want the teacher to be organized, and the class to be worth my child's time.

I understand what you're saying... I'm just getting more picky about online classes of late. I can't risk wasting money and time on something that doesn't sound that great.

I don't expect perfection either. But, if it's something I have to spend a lot of money on (online class), I'm going to want the teacher to be organized, and the class to be worth my child's time.

I understand what you're saying... I'm just getting more picky about online classes of late. I can't risk wasting money and time on something that doesn't sound that great.

I understand. Money is always an issue here too. We don't have much of it. As I said before, we had only one small snag and it was taken care of as soon as I mentioned it. I guess I will go into detail as to why these classes have been so amazing for us so that there will be a more detailed review for people to see. I have been sitting in on every class so I know exactly how things are going.

Ds has 4 classes and every teacher has been wonderful. The critical thinking teacher is an attorney who has worked on capitol hill and has the class discussing and thinking DEEPLY (great for ds - he loves this). Most of the class has been hashing through things that aren't as they seem, learning all about if-then statements, making assumptions, etc. The students love giving their points of view. I had covered critical thinking with my older 3, but never like this.

The biology teacher is just excellent in every way. She is taking a difficult subject and making it doable. She hands out notes that the students have to use as they follow along with her lecture, filling in the blanks. This was really fantastic for ds because his biggest struggle has been with writing quickly. Note-taking has often been overwhelming for him. This was the perfect transition. She uses video, great labs and her own enthusiasm to make biology come alive.

His English teacher is also quite gifted. Her love of literature and poetry comes out in every class. Along with a poetry unit right now, she is taking the class through a "grammar boot camp" that is also perfect for us. My mom passed away last year and was sick prior to that so grammar was an area that we had put on the back burner. This boot camp is taking ds through a lot very quickly... just in time to use it for the foreign language class. This had been a huge concern for me and it's just all falling into place. Later in the year, he will be writing more as well as reading and discussing a lot of great literature.

The last class is Biblical Greek. Ds did not want to take Spanish so we had opted for this. The teacher is a grad student majoring in ancient languages and she is just excellent! Again, I couldn't have chosen anyone better. She has the students using the mic a lot to pronounce and read the language already. No one feels bad if they mess up. She has a very easy way about her, but we are learning so much (I've always wanted to learn the biblical languages so I'm trying to learn it along with ds although he is picking it up a lot faster).

So that is my first-hand view. Ds is working harder than he's ever worked and there are no complaints from him whatsoever. Last year, he never would have wanted to work in the evenings or on weekends. This year, he doesn't mind at all if he needs to work on something "after hours". I'm happy because I feel we are off to a great start for high school and will be well-prepared for college. We signed up early when there was a substantial discount, but even if we hadn't, these classes are worth every penny. It has been a huge answer to prayer for us.

Edited by BeckyFL

Hi Sue,

Sending more hugs. :grouphug:

And here's an extra - in advanced - in case today calls for it. (Sheesh!) :grouphug:

Hopefully today will be a great day on your end. The diligent deserve good days. They just do. They don't always get them. But they deserve them. So here's me proclaiming that you DESERVE a good day! (...even if you don't get one....) :001_smile:

Rock on!

Janice

The critical thinking teacher is an attorney who has worked on capitol hill and has the class discussing and thinking DEEPLY (great for ds). Most of the class has been hashing through things that aren't as they seem, learning all about if-then statements, making assumptions, etc. The students love giving their points of view.

Becky, do the students use the microphone and speak in this class or do they use the chat box to communicate their points of view?

Glad I could help... Honestly, I like to hear reviews: good and bad. I've been lurking on this forum since before it was actually the forum as we all know it today. I get a lot of good information, and occasionally ask questions for more.

I don't see anything wrong with Sue posting about her frustrations, and I don't see how she owes the owner of this company anything. I think it's more than a little odd that someone contacted him. If he's offering a service and charging money for it... people are going to expect something good.

The "I rest my case" was b/c, from what you wrote, it seemed like you made a decision based on one negative experience, in spite of the fact that many other posters chimed in how great their experience was. It's a perfectly human response, I suppose, because there is too much at risk, in our childrens' time, if not in money. Sigh!

The "I rest my case" was b/c, from what you wrote, it seemed like you made a decision based on one negative experience, in spite of the fact that many other posters chimed in how great their experience was. It's a perfectly human response, I suppose, because there is too much at risk, in our childrens' time, if not in money. Sigh!

I knew what you meant :) I was sort of being tongue in cheek about it. It didn't come over that well. Sorry about that!

Yes.. I saw that others had good experiences to share. I really wasn't that interested in the info. about Landry Academy when it came in the mail--- and then Sue's post caught my eye because I had just received something about them. I meant that I wouldn't be looking further into them as an option... but not just because of Sue's post.

I used Landry last year for 2 of my kids. I was so happy the first half of the year - it helped so much while my husband was deployed. Greg Landry was the teacher - directions were clear - kids rose to the challenge and learned a lot.

Second semester he kind of did a bait and switch. We signed up, thinking we would get him, but got an email after we had already paid, saying he was going back to school to get his doctorate, and had hired new teachers.

The teachers were good, but organization, test taking, assignment communication was horrible. My kids got docked for not having assignments, but weren't clear what assignments were due and when. Also, the software for test taking malfunctioned - which would have hurt my son, if I had not pointed out the errors.

We are not taking classes from them until I am sure they have the system worked out better. We have been very happy with Veritas Press Scholars Academy.

Just my 2 cents!

I used Landry last year for 2 of my kids. I was so happy the first half of the year - it helped so much while my husband was deployed. Greg Landry was the teacher - directions were clear - kids rose to the challenge and learned a lot.

Second semester he kind of did a bait and switch. We signed up, thinking we would get him, but got an email after we had already paid, saying he was going back to school to get his doctorate, and had hired new teachers.

The teachers were good, but organization, test taking, assignment communication was horrible. My kids got docked for not having assignments, but weren't clear what assignments were due and when. Also, the software for test taking malfunctioned - which would have hurt my son, if I had not pointed out the errors.

We are not taking classes from them until I am sure they have the system worked out better. We have been very happy with Veritas Press Scholars Academy.

Just my 2 cents!

We took classes last year too and also had a different teacher the second semester. I was really nervous about that but she turned out to be VERY good (Mrs. Iverson).

The whole system, software, etc is completely different this year and much more extensive than last year. It's call Haiku and it is set up for keeping track of everything, communicating, etc. It's working really well and we've had no errors at all.

i've seen you on here lots of times and i you seem on top of things. this teacher needs to get act together. i've been interested in landry academy too, and thought possibly of my son taking one of the classes in the furture so i would like to know how this plays out. we are taking one of the intense 2 day biology labs this spring in one of the cities he has posted. i made sure greg was doing the lab and infact he is. we are excited about it. while my son is in class, i will shop!!! ha!