Menu

Can you be a Christian and still

:D Sure thing. :grouphug:

No problem. I admit, I can see how it could be taken that way. If I had responded to Bill with those verses, then it would definitely be meant that way. However, I responded to Heather, who understood my meaning quite well. Bill just took it up and responded.

It was almost sort-of-kind-of taken out of context.

Heather was responding to Bill, that does not seem fair.`

You might not realize this, but I think the way you are posting like this is kinda rude. I don't think you should post about people like they aren't here. Bill is right here. You did the same thing when you responded to Heather.

It is your posting style that I am having a problem with.

You might not mean it that way, but it is as if we were standing around talking at a party and you suddenly turned your back to Bill and said something about him in front of him.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might not realize this, but I think the way you are posting like this is kinda rude. I don't think you should post about people like they aren't here. Bill is right here. You did the same thing when you responded to Heather.

You might not mean it that way, but it is as if we were standing around talking at a party and you suddenly turned your back to Bill and said something about him in front of him.

As if we would all be at the same party. :tongue_smilie: That is why these threads get so crazy because we are conversing with people we would never converse with IRL.

:confused: How am I supposed to post then? You're referring to both Bill and Heather as is they cannot read what you're saying. I suppose that since it's you defending them from me that's acceptable? This isn't a party and we're not standing next to each other. It's a message board, we write notes and walk away. I dropped a line to Heather, regarding her specific post about pressuring the church to accept something and change their teachings. Bill read the note to Heather, public forum - I get that, and responded as if it was directed at him. It wasn't. :shrug: Do I need to put a disclaimer in my sig line?

And even counseling to pray the gay away and demonstrations. That all falls under free speech to me. I just don't think it should be legislated.

Do you think that religious counselors using that method should be allowed to receive government funds? Should any religious counselors receive government funding (so, Jewish marriage counselors, Christian child psychologists, etc)?

It's a message board, we write notes and walk away. I dropped a line to Heather, regarding her specific post about pressuring the church to accept something and change their teachings. Bill read the note to Heather, public forum - I get that, and responded as if it was directed at him. It wasn't. :shrug: Do I need to put a disclaimer in my sig line?
Gently. If you had wished to address Heather only, a PM might have been a better choice.

:confused: We respond to individuals all of the time on the board. Why should that comment have been pm'd?
How would you have felt if someone had responded to Bill with a quote implying that Christians (or a subset thereof) are silly or worse?

:confused: We respond to individuals all of the time on the board. Why should that comment have been pm'd?

I have to say, I agree. The other poster wasn't chastising Bill or anyone. She very graciously admitted what she said could have been taken the wrong way and commented that it was only meant in response to one specific post. It wasn't a private, for-Heather's-eyes-only moment, it was a bit of an aside that happens all the time in discussions here.

I have to say, I agree. The other poster wasn't chastising Bill or anyone. She very graciously admitted what she said could have been taken the wrong way and commented that it was only meant in response to one specific post. It wasn't a private, for-Heather's-eyes-only moment, it was a bit of an aside that happens all the time in discussions here.

Exactly.

I don't disagree, except that everything we post is open to interpretation, and it seems (not necessarily is) disingenuous to say after-the-fact, "Well, I didn't mean that because it was posted to this person and instead of that person."

:confused: How am I supposed to post then? You're referring to both Bill and Heather as is they cannot read what you're saying. I suppose that since it's you defending them from me that's acceptable? This isn't a party and we're not standing next to each other. It's a message board, we write notes and walk away. I dropped a line to Heather, regarding her specific post about pressuring the church to accept something and change their teachings. Bill read the note to Heather, public forum - I get that, and responded as if it was directed at him. It wasn't. :shrug: Do I need to put a disclaimer in my sig line?

I simply meant that if you did not want others to respond then it might have been better as a PM. If you are only intending a message for one person, and do not wish others to respond then a pm is probably a better choice.

You did say, Jude, particularly 10.

Jude says...(from 4-10 which you specified)

4 For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand [d]marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

5 Now I desire to remind you, though you know all things once for all, that [e]the Lord, after saving a people out of the land of Egypt, [f]subsequently destroyed those who did not believe. 6 And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day, 7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after [g]strange flesh, are exhibited as an [h]example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.

8 Yet in the same way these men, also by dreaming, defile the flesh, and reject authority, and revile angelic majesties. 9 But Michael the archangel, when he disputed with the devil and argued about the body of Moses, did not dare pronounce against him a railing judgment, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” 10 But these men revile the things which they do not understand; and the things which they know by instinct, like unreasoning animals, by these things they are [j]destroyed. 11 Woe to them! For they have gone the way of Cain, and for pay [k]they have rushed headlong into the error of Balaam, and perished in the rebellion of Korah. 12 These are the men who are [l]hidden reefs in your love feasts when they feast with you without fear, caring for themselves; clouds without water, carried along by winds; autumn trees without fruit, [m]doubly dead, uprooted; 13 wild waves of the sea, casting up their own [n]shame like foam; wandering stars, for whom the [o]black darkness has been reserved forever.

14 It was also about these men that Enoch, in the seventh generation from Adam, prophesied, saying, “Behold, the Lord came with [p]many thousands of His holy ones, 15 to execute judgment upon all, and to convict all the ungodly of all their ungodly deeds which they have done in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.” 16 These are grumblers, finding fault, following after their own lusts; [q]they speak arrogantly, flattering people for the sake of gaining an advantage.

Which honestly...can you see the issue? Do we not see that passage the same way??

If I said something about Christians as an aside to someone else in this thread you would take offense right? (and that would be weird, cause I am a Christian)

The reason I took offense was that I do not like to see scripture used as a "code" to attack someone. I was offended by your use of scripture. You said it wasn't intended that way, you were referring to the church so I apologized. I understand what you meant now.

Edited by Sis

What comes to my mind is, 'is' that person a Christian at all? We can love God and serve Him but is He truly Lord of our lives? The Bible can be discerned and it's for our day as much as it was thousands of years ago...there are some grey areas, but it's not so complicated. It just that folks down thru the ages don't want to obey.

God left us His Word for so many reasons and within His Word He does not condone homosexuality no matter how much the Christian community will try to turn it into a 'grey area' ...in some pockets, not all. It is simply a sin...an addicting sin much like any other addicting sin.

Can I love a homosexual? Yes, I can and I will. We are called to love...but we we are also called to judge. We do it everyday don't we? I raised my kids to have wise judgement..but what do we base it on? Where is my 'line'? For me, it comes from God's Word. The other side of the pendulum judging is not what I'm writing about either! We are not to be 'policemen' of right & wrong, but to live our lives as He has laid out in the Word....what pleases HIM? What does He have to say about sin? About homosexuality? He is holy and so many other attributes. We forgot He is a God of vengeance. He destroyed places like Sodom where such behavior was rampant. He flooded the earth, too, from so much sin and disobedience.

He has a plan for our lives but first we must lay down our life to be lifted up out of this world of it's own 'religion' of do whatever you like! It's why the early church went to their deaths...their faith was strong and was controversial to those who wanted them to believe another way that was 'acceptable' to that time/religion...and yet..their faith was so freeing and that gave them the strength to not bow to false gods or wrong practices. Are we at all like the early church? Willing to die for our faith? For Him? Do we take God at His Word? Much better to accept what our culture is raising us in...but it'll never be freeing...and we'll never know the true depth of what He had for us. This present day culture is misleading many as in ages past and it breaks my heart....

Edited by Momto3indians

What comes to my mind is, 'is' that person a Christian at all? We can love God and serve Him but is He truly Lord of our lives? The Bible can be discerned and it's for our day as much as it was thousands of years ago...there are some grey areas, but it's not so complicated. It just that folks down thru the ages don't want to obey.

God left us His Word for so many reasons and within His Word He does not condone homosexuality no matter how much the Christian community will try to turn it into a 'grey area' ...in some pockets, not all. It is simply a sin...an addicting sin much like any other addicting sin.

Can I love a homosexual? Yes, I can and I will. We are called to love...but we we are also called to judge. We do it everyday don't we? I raised my kids to have wise judgement..but what do we base it on? Where is my 'line'? For me, it comes from God's Word. The other side of the pendulum judging is not what I'm writing about either! We are not to be 'policemen' of right & wrong, but to live our lives as He has laid out in the Word....what pleases HIM? What does He have to say about sin? About homosexuality? He is holy and so many other attributes. We forgot He is a God of vengeance. He destroyed places like Sodom where such behavior was rampant. He flooded the earth, too, from so much sin and disobedience.

He has a plan for our lives but first we must lay down our life to be lifted up out of this world of it's own 'religion' of do whatever you like! It's why the early church went to their deaths...their faith was strong and was controversial to those who wanted them to believe another way that was 'acceptable' to that time/religion...and yet..their faith was so freeing and that gave them the strength to not bow to false gods or wrong practices. Are we at all like the early church? Willing to die for our faith? For Him? Do we take God at His Word? Much better to accept what our culture is raising us in...but it'll never be freeing...and we'll never know the true depth of what He had for us. This present day culture is misleading many as in ages past and it breaks my heart....

I agree. The most hearbreaking thing in the Bible is the verse that asks- when the son of man comes back will he find faith on the earth? <---That is the kind of place we are living in. I really think you can love people caught up in any sin and you can fear for them.