Menu

Can you be a Christian and still

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I call myself a Christian and accept and believe that homosexuality is natural for some people. I don't try to convert my friends; they are who they are and I love them. And that saving from sin stuff...uh, no.

I do believe there are many Christians who will strongly disagree with my opinion, though.

Most of the Christians I know are fine with homosexuality.

Can you belong to certain denominations and be okay with homosexuality? Then the answer may well be no but when major churches like the Episcopal churches are ordaining homosexual bishops, the answer to the original question is quite obviously yes.

Some fellow Christians might deny your Christianity if you're fine with homosexuality but frankly, fellow Christians have been denying the Christianity of other Christians for 2000 years so that ain't no big deal.

I call myself a Christian and accept and believe that homosexuality is natural for some people. I don't try to convert my friends; they are who they are and I love them. And that saving from sin stuff...uh, no.

I do believe there are many Christians who will strongly disagree with my opinion, though.

:iagree:

See? This is exactly how I feel. But boy, do I get a lot of flack from it.

Well, you can't very well save another person anyway.

Not always a popular belief, but I believe acting on homosexual feelings is a sin. I also believe I should work on my stuff and someone else can work on theirs if they decide to. Of course, I don't think people are going to burn in a fiery hell forever either. I might be a little more nosey if I did. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I do agree with the below statement that faith permeates all things in my life and so the chances someone wouldn't know my beliefs is pretty slim.

Edited by 2J5M9K

I am a Christian and believe that God is clear that it is a sin. (And this is after studying the Bible in my younger days, hoping it would say something else.) I don't think it's my job to convert them any more than any other sin. I think we all need God and He takes care of the sin in His own time and ways once we all get that straight.

accept and believe that homose*uality is ok?

No

IOW, if you have friends that lead this lifestyle do you feel you need to save them from sin?

I have had acquaintances that are, but friends to me are people that I share my moral values with. Friends are people that I would trust would give me good sound, biblical advice. This doesn't mean to be disrespectful or mean to those who are or to not help them out if they need help, I just don't develop friendships with them. Usually if I am around people any, discussions of the bible do come up, so at some time I would likely take the opportunity to discuss the bible with them, but I am not one to force it on them.

Or can you just be friends with them without any judgement?

I would not be friends with them

You have asked for people's opinions, I am giving mine. I know it is different than a lot of the other answers you will get on this forum.

That is the key word here. Judgement. So, on one hand I know the Bible says it is an abomination. OTOH, the Bible says "Judge Not, Lest not be Judged".

I have straight friends who have stabbed me in the back.

I have g** friends who are a couple, and have never done that to me. Actually, two g** couples. They have been there for me unconditionally. How can you turn your back on them because of their lifestyle? Isn't what is in their hearts, or the INTENT of their heart, that matters?

Isn't it up to the Lord to determine what happens, and not me?

**confused****

ETA: I have no plans on giving up these freindships. But it makes it difficult to have to keep explaining my position on this to certain people.

I think yes. I am not in a position to decide whether anyone's behavior is wrong. There is only one who gets to make that decision. I do my best to live the way I believe HE wants me to. That includes loving everyone.

Honestly, if it is a sin, I'm sure I've committed greater sins if you look at how a sin affects other people. I look at my neighbors. They are good neighbors (maintain their house, friendly, etc). So, I don't know how they live hurts others.

IOW, if you have friends that lead this lifestyle do you feel you need to save them from sin? Or can you just be friends with them without any judgement?

I don't think that these two things are mutually exclusive.

Yes, you can still be a Christian.

I find this very interresting, and although I'm not Christian now, I was - and the entire rest of my extended family still is.

Anyway - my opinion was always that it was ok when I was a Christian, but I never really thought it through. Some of the other comments have me wonderring, though...

Ok - so whether you agree or not (obviously I don't, but this is for discussion's sake) - assuming it is a sin to begin with: do you treat this sin as any different from any other sin? I mean - I can think of many people I know who sin in ways I consider far worse, and yet they seem to be accepted with open arms.... As if they just can't help it because they are sinful by nature, and that is why Jesus had to save us. So, I guess I have a hard time seeing how this sin is any different....

Many of my gay friends are Christians. They've grown up in Christian households, believe that Jesus died for their sins and go to church regularly.

Some have left Christianity, however, because of what the Bible says about homosexuality.

Some have become more "liberal" Christians who believe that the passages where God condemns gay people to death were influenced by by people and not God's will.

Some are closeted, trying fervently with God's help, to change.

One of the reasons I no longer am a Christian has to do with my understanding of homosexuality, and growing up in a Bible-believing church that said God was just fine with executing loving, gay couples.

Occurred to me that I was really trying to make the Bible and the Bible God out to be some wonderful entity that really wasn't.

I'm an atheist. I don't follow a book or being who said gays should be executed and raped women sold to their rapist.

So, I couldn't stay a strict Bible-believing Christian. Perhaps, had I had less Conservative religious instruction I might have managed the cognitive dissonance a while longer.

IOW, if you have friends that lead this lifestyle do you feel you need to save them from sin? Or can you just be friends with them without any judgement?

There are whole Christian denominations that accept LGBT folks without judgement.

For example, take a look at these commercials for the United Church of Christ that ran a year or so ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx1u1v7hAtY&feature=related

And, of course, the Episcopal Church caused quite a stir a few years ago by ordaining its first openly gay bishop in 2009. (They did it again -- gasp! -- a year later.)

To think that all Christian must condemn and judge LGBT people just because some very conservative denominations do is just not accurate.

I don't think what they do in their bedroom is one iota of my business. Nor do I think what goes in mine is theirs.

I don't think God grades sin on a curve and I don't think He needs me to mind other people's personal business. I can barely manage my own.

I think it's between the person and God. Just like anything else.

I can live and let live, if that is what you mean. Do I believe that Biblically it is fine and dandy? No. I think the Bible shoots very straight about homosexuality, not leaving any room to believe God has no opinion on the matter. I can be friendly to someone, respectful of them as a human and still not agree with their lifestyle choice. The same goes for adultery, lying, etc. It's done in all walks of life in regards to many different issues by Christians and non-Christians alike.

I am a Christian.

I do believe that homos-xuality is a sin, in the same way I believe that gossip is a sin, or gluttony, or pridefulness, or a whole host of other things.

No, let me clarify that --- I believe that sex outside of marriage is a sin. I believe this is the primary reason that homosexual sex is considered a sin in the Bible, and I believe and hope that as gay marriage/marriage for all becomes legalized in more places, the sin factor is removed. IMO.

side note:(also, if a couple tells me they are married, whether they are living in a state that recognizes that or not, I would recognize that. A friend of mine was married in CA the first time it was legal, and he's lamented the married/divorced/married process that CA's legal status has put him through. I keep telling him "You guys got married. That makes you married; the state can't take that away just because they choose not to recognize it.")

I do NOT believe that being gay, in and of itself, is a sin, just as being heterosexual is not a sin (yet, according to my beliefs, sex outside of marriage is). Whether one is attracted to someone of his/her own sex/gender or of the opposite is a part of that person's make up, just as having brown or blonde hair, being Italian, Spanish, German, etc. So, being gay isn't (IMO) and can't be (IMO) a sin.

But I do believe the Bible calls pre- or extra- marital sex a sin, and that's where the sin comes in. It's just as much a sin for me to have had sex before I was married as it would be for an unmarried couple, same or opposite gendered, to have sex. BUT this is the part that I equate to all other things the Bible calls sin -- gossip, gluttony, pridefulness, etc, etc, etc. So, getting back on topic....

Yet, just as I am friends with people who gossip, are prideful, are gluttons, and a whole host of other things, all without judging said friends, likewise I am friends with gay people without judging them.

Helps that I too am a sinner and do not live a perfect life; makes me much less likely or inclined to judge someone else's imperfections.

Sin or not, I believe we are all created equal, and according to the Bible, mankind is made in God's image. I believe that. And I believe it applies to everyone, not just those who call themselves Christians, not just those who live a Godly lifestyle.

God made us. God loves us. We are told to love God and love each other. Period. If I believe those few statements (I do), then it becomes difficult to judge others and easy to love them, like them, treat them just as I'd treat any other person. And by "them" I mean any person I meet, not some specific classification of person.

So, yes, it's possible. I am a Christian and I consider someone's sexual preferences to be a part of who that person is, just like eye color, hair color, nationality, vegetarianism, etc. As I am not in a habit of asking my friends about their bedroom habits or practices, it would never dawn on me to judge someone based on that. The great thing is, God specifically tells me not to judge others anyway, so by setting a person's sin aside and separate from who that person is, I'm assured I'm doing the right thing.

I guess then I'd go so far as to say it's not only possible to be a Christian and not judge someone for being gay, it's also encouraged and a Biblical approach to knowing and caring about other people.

Let's see.....can of worms WIDE open here.....

I am not sure how to word this so that I don't come across as judgmental. I don't try to be. I am not a Bible thumper. I do believe in the Bible though.

So, is homosexuality a sin? I do believe it is. However, I don't believe it is my job to "save" them. That is the holy spirit's job. My job is to pray and answer questions if they have them.

I don't expect Christian behavior from non-Christian people.

In my last job (of 16 years!) I worked with a lot of non Christians. Many of them were homosexuals. Their view of Christians was less than stellar and I understand why! Homosexuality is "that" sin.....the one that is the "abomination (as they have been told!) However, I personally don't view it as any worse than any other sexual sin. If you were sleeping with someone you weren't' married to, I would call it sin because the Bible calls it sin.

Anyway, the point I was going to make is that those who were gay, with whom I worked, often referred to me as "the little church girl." I was ok with that. It wasn't meant to be vindictive. I wasn't invited to their parties, but I was the one they came to privately and asked me to pray for them. I am ok with that too.

Not sure I really explained things well as I can't always get out what makes sense in my own head.

Dawn

PS: By the way, I have an ex-boyfriend who left me for a man. He was someone in the church too. He now lives overseas with his boyfriend. He no longer is involved in church at all. We are still friends and I care deeply about him.

Edited by DawnM

I don't think what they do in their bedroom is one iota of my business. Nor do I think what goes in mine is theirs.

I don't think God grades sin on a curve and I don't think He needs me to mind other people's personal business. I can barely manage my own.

I think it's between the person and God. Just like anything else.

This is where I am as well. I have enough of my own sins to worry about and do not borrow the sins of others. I have been asked recently what I would do if one of my children grew up to be gay and I could never, ever condemn one of my children. How could I condemn one of God's children?

I can live and let live, if that is what you mean. Do I believe that Biblically it is fine and dandy? No. I think the Bible shoots very straight about homosexuality, not leaving any room to believe God has no opinion on the matter. I can be friendly to someone, respectful of them as a human and still not agree with their lifestyle choice. The same goes for adultery, lying, etc. It's done in all walks of life in regards to many different issues by Christians and non-Christians alike.

You have asked for people's opinions, I am giving mine. I know it is different than a lot of the other answers you will get on this forum.

I am curious -- if you met someone, became friends with that person, and later found out that he or she was gay --- would you end the friendship?

Or is there some way you would find out early on, through topics of conversation, etc. that this person didn't share your morals?

And, does your stance about only being friends with people who share your moral convictions carry over to other areas of life as well? Drinking alcohol? Attending church x number of times a week? What constitutes acceptable reading material? Etc??

Curious if you are consistent in keeping all morally unacceptable (according to your views) people as acquaintances only or if it is only certain areas, or ????

This.

...and that saving from sin stuff......PLEASE!!! Stop trying to save my soul!!! I'm on the list of that guy about the cults and stuff....I'm a Christian Scientist...and people are always trying to SAVE me. STOP IT!!! :tongue_smilie:

I grew up in a wonderful, loving Baptist church where GLBT members were welcomed and accepted. Before gay marriage was a buzzword, they blessed a gay union back when I was in high school. They're still a leading voice in the state of NC for Christian acceptance of gays and lesbians. My mother attends a similar church, also in NC.

I'm a Christian (Episcopalian). I believe that homosexuality is no more inherently sinful than heterosexuality. Like heterosexuality, it can be expressed/practiced in sinful ways, but I don't think it's any different.

But, regardless, I don't see how one's view on homosexuality would have any bearing on whether or not they can be a Christian, any more than their view on whether dancing or drinking wine is sinful. Christians differ in their interpretations of all sorts of things in the Bible. Homosexuality is an issue that's open to interpretation. (For example, Walter Wink has an excellent piece on it.)

What does it mean to be a Christian? Is there any reason why not believing homosexuality is a sin would keep somebody from being a follower of Jesus? From loving God and neighbor? From confessing Jesus as Lord and putting their faith in him as savior? (Or doing whatever else it is that being a Christian entails--my point is just that I don't think there's any way to conceive of being a Christian that would somehow require that you believe homosexuality is sinful.) Jesus had followers, in his day, with vastly different views on the controversial political issues of his time (zealots and tax collectors and all that). I see no reason to assume that Jesus expects his followers today to all have the same opinion on controversial issues of our day.

Edited by twoforjoy

I believe we are all sinners. I believe it is the Lord's job to do the saving. It is my job to love....not save or judge.

Faithe

I am curious -- if you met someone, became friends with that person, and later found out that he or she was gay --- would you end the friendship?

Or is there some way you would find out early on, through topics of conversation, etc. that this person didn't share your morals?

And, does your stance about only being friends with people who share your moral convictions carry over to other areas of life as well? Drinking alcohol? Attending church x number of times a week? What constitutes acceptable reading material? Etc??

Curious if you are consistent in keeping all morally unacceptable (according to your views) people as acquaintances only or if it is only certain areas, or ????

It takes a while for me to consider someone a friend. As I said, those that I consider friends are those that I trust, respect, and know that I can get sound biblical advise from. They are people that will tell me when I am doing wrong and support me when I am doing right and it is hard. My friends are mostly those whom I have gone to church with at one time or another, but there are some that I have met through work and some that are family as well. So yes my moral convictions carry over into other areas as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama Geek

:confused::confused:

I know this is your opinion and you are free to be friends with whoever you want, obviously. But, you are missing out on some really great friendships. Do you feel the same way about other sinners? I am not talking of felonious ones...just the plain, average Joe ones...you know...gluttons, adulterers, drunkards, gossipers....etc. What about idolators? What about sabbath- breakers? Oy...this sounds contentious...but is not meant in that spirit. Really. I am just trying to understand how we pick which sinners to stay away from. Personally, I can't take drunkards or adulterers...:D

Faithe

I am a Christian.

I do believe that homos-xuality is a sin, in the same way I believe that gossip is a sin, or gluttony, or pridefulness, or a whole host of other things.

Yet, just as I am friends with people who gossip, are prideful, are gluttons, and a whole host of other things, all without judging said friends, likewise I am friends with gay people without judging them.

Helps that I too am a sinner and do not live a perfect life; makes me much less likely or inclined to judge someone else's imperfections.

Sin or not, I believe we are all created equal, and according to the Bible, mankind is made in God's image. I believe that. And I believe it applies to everyone, not just those who call themselves Christians, not just those who live a Godly lifestyle.

God made us. God loves us. We are told to love God and love each other. Period. If I believe those few statements (I do), then it becomes difficult to judge others and easy to love them, like them, treat them just as I'd treat any other person. And by "them" I mean any person I meet, not some specific classification of person.

So, yes, it's possible. I am a Christian and I consider someone's sexual preferences to be a part of who that person is, just like eye color, hair color, nationality, vegetarianism, etc. As I am not in a habit of asking my friends about their bedroom habits or practices, it would never dawn on me to judge someone based on that. The great thing is, God specifically tells me not to judge others anyway, so by setting a person's sin aside and separate from who that person is, I'm assured I'm doing the right thing.

I guess then I'd go so far as to say it's not only possible to be a Christian and not judge someone for being gay, it's also encouraged and a Biblical approach to knowing and caring about other people.

Beautifully said. :iagree:

As an aside, I don't think my opinion on this or that behavior being wrong is the kind of judgement the Bible talks about.

As an aside, I don't think my opinion on this or that behavior being wrong is the kind of judgement the Bible talks about.

I tend to agree, but I'd say that somebody declaring that a gay person can't be a Christian, or that a person who doesn't think homosexuality is a sin can't be a Christian, is the kind of judgment it's talking about.

Beautifully said. :iagree:

And, I agree; having an opinion on what's right or wrong is not, to me, judgement in the "do not judge" sense of the word. Alienating myself from someone based on that opinion, is.

I tend to agree, but I'd say that somebody declaring that a gay person can't be a Christian, or that a person who doesn't think homosexuality is a sin can't be a Christian, is the kind of judgment it's talking about.

Right, this.

I have layers of outrage at this topic. (Not because it's a thread, but because it is a topic at all in the world at large)

First layer:

Literalism imposed onto a figurative canon kills. Kills in actuality; kills in spirit.

Second layer:

*Selective* literalism does further damage. If you impose the verses used to justify "homosexuality or homosexual intimacy* is a sin, but do not also impose the surrounding verses, you selectively use scritpure.

Third layer:

Bifurcating Christian scripture from context and culture. I don't believe the scriptures used to support "homosexuality is a sin" say what (many) Christians believe they say. I believe that through the function of tenacity and authority, Christians have steadfastly and resolutely held onto an invalid interpretation.

Fourth layer:

The collective refusal of literalist Christians to be introspective enough to admit that (what they consider to be sexual sin) is elevated in terms of focus, scrutiny, and judgment over what are other sins.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This issue is one of the defining issues for me and my refusal to identify as "Christian".

It takes a while for me to consider someone a friend. As I said, those that I consider friends are those that I trust, respect, and know that I can get sound biblical advise from. They are people that will tell me when I am doing wrong and support me when I am doing right and it is hard. My friends are mostly those whom I have gone to church with at one time or another, but there are some that I have met through work and some that are family as well. So yes my moral convictions carry over into other areas as well.

Ah, okay; thanks for clarifying that.

I refuse to give up an entire group of people because they are different than me.

I refuse to believe that people shouldn't have a right to love how/who they choose/desire.

I refuse to think I am in a position to judge people for how they live.

I refuse to believe God doesn't love them just as much as He loves me.

Can you be a Christian and believe that homose*uality is okay? Sure. Does that mean it is okay? No. Christians can be wrong about lots of things and still be Christians. I'm sure I'm not right about everything, but it doesn't mean that I'm not a Christian.

I am a Christian and believe that God is clear that it is a sin. (And this is after studying the Bible in my younger days, hoping it would say something else.) I don't think it's my job to convert them any more than any other sin. I think we all need God and He takes care of the sin in His own time and ways once we all get that straight.

I have layers of outrage at this topic. (Not because it's a thread, but because it is a topic at all in the world at large)

First layer:

Literalism imposed onto a figurative canon kills. Kills in actuality; kills in spirit.

Second layer:

*Selective* literalism does further damage. If you impose the verses used to justify "homosexuality or homosexual intimacy* is a sin, but do not also impose the surrounding verses, you selectively use scritpure.

Third layer:

Bifurcating Christian scripture from context and culture. I don't believe the scriptures used to support "homosexuality is a sin" say what (many) Christians believe they say. I believe that through the function of tenacity and authority, Christians have steadfastly and resolutely held onto an invalid interpretation.

Fourth layer:

The collective refusal of literalist Christians to be introspective enough to admit that (what they consider to be sexual sin) is elevated in terms of focus, scrutiny, and judgment over what are other sins.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This issue is one of the defining issues for me and my refusal to identify as "Christian".

I'm interested in the third layer. Could you be more specific and give what you believe is a more valid interpretation? Thanks.

I believe homosexual behavior is a sin.

I do NOT believe it is a "worse" sin than other sins. This often separates me from my fellow believers who seem to think that homosexual behavior is the worst sin there is. I don't get that mindset.

Yes I would still be friends with someone who is a homosexual (I am currently and I have family members who are gay).

I don't expect Christian behavior from non-Christian people.

Can we still expect Christ-like behavior from those who call themselves Christians? Or devout Muslims or faithful Jews or faithful spouses or legitimate parents?

Behavior is/ Actions are a reflection of thoughts, attitudes, the inclination of one's heart.

"They gather around them teachers who say what their itching ears want to hear"

This goes across the board.

Those in opposition to what is good, loving, holy, pure, just... RIGHT are encouraged to do so.

Where are the devout? (Not sinless)

Somewhere in the bible, a question is raised... Who shall stand when He appears / appeareth?

There is a line in the sand that has been drawn. Man keeps trying to erase it/ blur it or say it's no longer relevant.

Sin is sin. People are people. You can show love to a person without embracing/ condoning the sin. Are we speaking the truth in love or neglecting to speak truth because we honor the created more than the Creator?

Honoring mouths & far away hearts.

Showing love & respect does not translate to fellowship.

There are many who call themselves whatever who have absolutely no problems doing anything their faith calls "sinful."

They are hypocrites.

(substitute any other popular term but the plain meaning is the same.)

We need to get our own stuff straight - FIRST not looking aside to those on our left or right. We get off track and take on other people's issues.

Edited by Karis

Most of the Christians I know are fine with homosexuality.

Can you belong to certain denominations and be okay with homosexuality? Then the answer may well be no but when major churches like the Episcopal churches are ordaining homosexual bishops, the answer to the original question is quite obviously yes.

Some fellow Christians might deny your Christianity if you're fine with homosexuality but frankly, fellow Christians have been denying the Christianity of other Christians for 2000 years so that ain't no big deal.

I agree.

I'm a Christian (Episcopalian). I believe that homosexuality is no more inherently sinful than heterosexuality. Like heterosexuality, it can be expressed/practiced in sinful ways, but I don't think it's any different.

But, regardless, I don't see how one's view on homosexuality would have any bearing on whether or not they can be a Christian, any more than their view on whether dancing or drinking wine is sinful. Christians differ in their interpretations of all sorts of things in the Bible. Homosexuality is an issue that's open to interpretation. (For example, Walter Wink has an excellent piece on it.)

What does it mean to be a Christian? Is there any reason why not believing homosexuality is a sin would keep somebody from being a follower of Jesus? From loving God and neighbor? From confessing Jesus as Lord and putting their faith in him as savior? (Or doing whatever else it is that being a Christian entails--my point is just that I don't think there's any way to conceive of being a Christian that would somehow require that you believe homosexuality is sinful.) Jesus had followers, in his day, with vastly different views on the controversial political issues of his time (zealots and tax collectors and all that). I see no reason to assume that Jesus expects his followers today to all have the same opinion on controversial issues of our day.

You said this so well!:iagree:

I don't think that these two things are mutually exclusive.

Yes, you can still be a Christian.

I believe we are all sinners. I believe it is the Lord's job to do the saving. It is my job to love....not save or judge.

Faithe

I have my own sins to deal with. It is unbiblical to take on the sins of other people and stand in judgment of them.

And if a gay person cannot be a Christian, then none of us can because none of us is totally free of sin.

I think one of the reasons that homos*xuality is such a flash point is b/c its likely the one sin that many are confident they aren't committing.

Easier to point at gay cpls and condemn them than to look at a sin you're committing.

So, is homosexuality a sin? I do believe it is. However, I don't believe it is my job to "save" them. That is the holy spirit's job. My job is to pray and answer questions if they have them.

So... a homosexual can be a Christian. We accept the Lord while we are in sin. Justification comes first, then sanctification. If someone is struggling with homosexuality while I struggle with fits of anger, why should I judge them more harshly than I judge myself?

I don't really understand where that line gets drawn. I know someone who was ex-communicated for chewing tobacco. Really? I mean, I was addicted to sleeping pills at one point... I just don't get it.

Since having communion with God I am less judgmental of people including homosexuals, so that tells me something.

Edited by Lovedtodeath