Menu

What magazines do you subscribe too?

Jody

National geographic

Smithsonian

Fons and Porter Easy Quilts

Scientific American

My dad gets Popular Science and Popular Mechanics and forwards those on to us as well.

Geeky house!

Faith

Hmmm, I might have to check into some of these! Do you share Smithsonian with your kids a lot?

The Economist, the reading of which is practically a part-time job;

Cooking Light (only about one year our of every 3, as I find it repeats itself)

In the past, we have subscribed to Sports Illustrated, but we let it lapse because I read it more than my husband.

Remember when people used to ask what magazines or newspaper you "take"? No one says that any more, which is a shame.

Terri

Wired

Popular Science

Christianity Today

Relevant

World

Reason

Forbes

Money

Kiplinger's

Runner's World

Running Times

Men's Health

Muscles & Fitness

Maximum PC

Mental Floss

I am kind of a magazine junkie. All of these I have had subscription to in the past year. A bunch of them have expired now. My wife receives :

Real Simple

Military Spouse

Everyday with Rachel Ray

Woman's Health

Outdoor Photography

Taste of Home

Edited by tntgoodwin

Hmmm, I might have to check into some of these! Do you share Smithsonian with your kids a lot?

My kids are ages 20 (college student) 14 (9th grade), 12 (13 next week and 8th grade), and 11 (6th grade). So, sometimes they are assigned specific articles to read and discuss or write about. But, I do read quite a bit aloud for the whole family. We also take them in the car and I read the whole trip. When we went to D.C., I covered articles from several issues of National Geographic, Smithsonian, and Scientific American. Even when we go shopping to the "city" (52 miles away), I can cover a couple of articles on the way there while dh drives. He loves the discussions and it's another way for him to be involved in their education.

This month's issue of Smithsonian had a lead article on the Taj Mahal. Ds is studying art history and has been added to his required reading in architecture.

Faith

The New Yorker (am I really the only one?!)

UU World (Unitarian-Universalist denominational magazine)

Food & Wine (will not renew - it's much more celebrity-focused than it used to be)

Family Fun (from a free offer someone posted here)

My husband reads the New Yorker too, and also gets Popular Science and Air & Space.

My 6yo gets Ranger Rick.

My 2.5yo gets Wild Animal Baby.

Sunset

Southern Living

I'm thinking about: Smithsonian

Cooks Illustrated

My dad used to get Popular Mechanics and I'm thinking about subscribing.

Is it worth it to get Sky & Telescope as a real magazine or is most of the good stuff online?

My 2 1/2 year old gets: Animal Baby

My 5 year old gets My Big Back Yard

We just order National Geographic Little Kids but haven't received anything yet

Smithsonian

National Geographic

Harper's

Good Housekeeping

Real Simple

Time

These are the ones I read.... dh gets a couple of trade magazines... everyone in the house reads parts of all of the above except the Good Housekeeping and Real Simple. Those two are just for me.

My kids are subscribed to Highlights, Kids Discover, Creative Kids, National Geographic Kids, Scholastic Art, Arts & Activities, and Skating magazine (figure skating).

I keep them in a portable library in the seat-back pockets in our car, updating them when a new magazine arrives. It has worked well for us - they will grab a magazine to look at whenever they're bored in the car, or if they need something to pass the time in a restaurant or waiting room.

Me:

Newsweek: I've subscribed since I moved back to Iowa from the East Coast in 1993. I may change to Time or The Nation. I don't do well whenever they change editors and, therefore, formats.

Country Living: Grandma keeps getting me a subscription.

Kids:

National Geographic Little Kids

Ladybug

Click

Your Big Backyard

Highlights for Little Kids

I'm stealing the idea below:

I keep them in a portable library in the seat-back pockets in our car, updating them when a new magazine arrives. It has worked well for us - they will grab a magazine to look at whenever they're bored in the car, or if they need something to pass the time in a restaurant or waiting room.

Smithsonian, Old House Journal, National Geographic, American History, and whatever it is the National Trust for Historic Preservation sends out. On-line I read Mental Floss and has much of Country Living as they put on-line.

I was at the library today and checked out Smithsonian and loved it. There was a great article in there about Finland schools actually. I'm definitely subscribing to that one.

The only thing is I saw an ad for Joinfolio.com where they offered a gorgeous set of four hardcover Andrew Lang books for something like $20, and you only had to agree to purchase four additional books. All the other books are minimum $50/each and up, though very beautiful. Dang them for tempting me!