Menu

PSAT Public Service Announcement

To all parents of college bound sophomores or juniors:

Our high school has started taking registration for the 2011 PSAT as of yesterday. Cost is $15. Testing date at our school is Wednesday Oct 12th.

NOTE: Schools can vary the cost, but I believe the top amount is $20. Some schools offer it for free. Some sites offer a Saturday Oct 15th testing time. Be certain you know which date the school you go to is using. You MUST call a school to take this test - no online signups. The test is only offered in October.

The PSAT is a great test to take as a sophomore (some parents have younger kids take it too, but our school only allows sophomores and juniors) to get a feel for taking a college test (SAT especially) and to see where any gaps in learning might be. When you get the online breakdown in December you can see specific questions missed, etc.

As a junior, this is their only chance to try to qualify for National Merit scholarships. There are schools who offer free tuition (or more) to NMF and many others offer merit aid.

When you sign up, you should receive a practice booklet containing a practice test. It's good to have students do this at home so they aren't totally surprised when they get there.

And, my last note... MAKE SURE your student, if using their own watch for timing, calibrates it with the clock in the classroom. My guy didn't think to do this and thought he had 5 minutes more time than he did based on the end time written on the blackboard - meaning he didn't finish 3 questions on the first math section due to lack of time. If he had gotten even one of those correct he'd have made our state cutoff for NMSF. That can be a frustration that's hard to shake (don't ask me how I know...). Fortunately, his ACT score is high enough to still qualify for top stat scholarships, but not being a NMSF is still frustrating considering WHY he didn't make it.

Edited by creekland
correcting dates

Thanks.

I have a question:

if I understand it correctly, taking the PSAT in 10th grade would simply serve to familiarize the student with the test, right? Now, if my kids has already taken the real SAT and is familiar with that, would you recommend to take the PSAT this year? We don't want to do more testing than necessary, and she will already take an SATII and the ACT later this Fall.

Thanks.

I have a question:

if I understand it correctly, taking the PSAT in 10th grade would simply serve to familiarize the student with the test, right? Now, if my kids has already taken the real SAT and is familiar with that, would you recommend to take the PSAT this year? We don't want to do more testing than necessary, and she will already take an SATII and the ACT later this Fall.

The questions on the PSAT and SAT are slightly different, esp in math (more Geometry on the PSAT IMO), but I don't think a student would remember it enough from one year to the next to make it worthwhile.

Therefore, for a student who has already done other tests and is just a sophomore (no NM possibilities that year), I'd probably skip it.

For any preparing "for real" (junior year), I'd definitely recommend a PSAT study book over an SAT book for the "slight differences" reason. We went with SAT/ACT review books and I wish I hadn't as that also might have made the slight difference. Later in Oct, my guy did extremely well on the ACT though. ;) I found out the books tend to be labeled correctly for their respective tests.

Thanks for your reply.

I have another PSAT related question:

As I understand, the value of the PSAT is in shooting for National Merit, and even if one does not get a National merit scholarship, having the score and semi-finalist status generates scholarship offers from colleges, is that correct?

If my student has no chance of actually winning a NM scholarship because she is not a citizen and will not swear an oath to become one as soon as possible, she should still attempt to score well because the schools see the score, right? But she does not need to jump through all the other hoops that come after doing well on the PSAT for kids who want to win NM?

I don't mind the education part of homeschooling - it is dealing with standardized tests and deadlines and rules that makes me nervous.

The questions on the PSAT and SAT are slightly different, esp in math (more Geometry on the PSAT IMO), but I don't think a student would remember it enough from one year to the next to make it worthwhile.

Therefore, for a student who has already done other tests and is just a sophomore (no NM possibilities that year), I'd probably skip it.

For any preparing "for real" (junior year), I'd definitely recommend a PSAT study book over an SAT book for the "slight differences" reason. We went with SAT/ACT review books and I wish I hadn't as that also might have made the slight difference. Later in Oct, my guy did extremely well on the ACT though. ;) I found out the books tend to be labeled correctly for their respective tests.

Thanks for your reply.

I have another PSAT related question:

As I understand, the value of the PSAT is in shooting for National Merit, and even if one does not get a National merit scholarship, having the score and semi-finalist status generates scholarship offers from colleges, is that correct?

If my student has no chance of actually winning a NM scholarship because she is not a citizen and will not swear an oath to become one as soon as possible, she should still attempt to score well because the schools see the score, right? But she does not need to jump through all the other hoops that come after doing well on the PSAT for kids who want to win NM?

I don't mind the education part of homeschooling - it is dealing with standardized tests and deadlines and rules that makes me nervous.

Honestly? In your situation, I'd skip it. If she has a high ACT or SAT that will count for far more since she has no chance at being a NMF. When colleges ask if she is one (assuming her other scores put her in line to be asked) she can tell them why she isn't. My guy is rather versed in that now. Fortunately, schools have been very understanding about the "one test on one day and watch/clock issues happen" aspect. :tongue_smilie: They go with his ACT and other corresponding grades, recommendations, and the like. If they had wanted, we'd also have followed up with the SAT, but all have told me not to bother.

Schools really LIKE having NMF attend their school - bragging rights. That's why they'll ask and why many just below the "top" offer nice scholarships (top schools get them anyway). I suppose if all else were equal and it came down to one student vs another getting in or getting a scholarship, the one who won NMF would get the nod. Otherwise, it's still easily possible to prove capability on a high level without the PSAT.

Creekland, thanks for the heads up.

Regentrude, thanks for the discussion.

I have contacted 3 schools so far hoping to find my 10th grade son a seat at the PSAT.

There is only 1 school in our county that gives the test on Saturday. I prefer the Saturday date so that he doesn't have to miss classes he's taking at the HS and CC. This school (enrollment 2100) ordered 150 tests. That's enough for <1/3 of their juniors, but I digress... My son will be able to take the test there if there are any tests available. Their students get first dibs. At least she didn't hassle me about his being in 10th grade. She said some 10th and a few 9th graders take it. I won't know if this is possible until sometime early October.

The second school I contacted is the one he is taking 2 classes at. They give the test on Wednesday. He cannot take it there because he is in 10th grade! All 10th graders take the PLAN. I may call back and hassle them some more.

The third school I contacted is a private school the next county over. They give the test on Saturday. They usually have a few extra tests and the first ones to sign-up online (and pay in person) on September 20th, get the spots. I haven't yet decided if I will set my alarm for midnight or not.

I'm a planner. Had I known it was going to be this difficult to find a spot for the PSAT, I would have contacted the first school back in May (when they order the tests) and offered to pay double to reserve a test.

I don't know if my son has the ability to make NMS. I have some debates about whether or not I should bother. I do think he could make NMSF, which is why I bother.

Note: I'm not 100% sure I've got the acronyms correct. I'm using:

NMS=National Merit Scholar

NMSF=National Merit Scholarship Finalist

I thought I'd share my experience for those who have younger students. I wish I had known to contact the school in May. I think my chances would have been better. They order the tests in May and they have to guess how many they will need. They cannot return unused tests and they don't want to spend more $$$$ than necessary.

I thought I'd share my experience for those who have younger students. I wish I had known to contact the school in May. I think my chances would have been better. They order the tests in May and they have to guess how many they will need. They cannot return unused tests and they don't want to spend more $$$$ than necessary.

Wow, I didn't realize they ordered these tests that early. I did email back in July to the local high school and they were very nice about it. Told me how much the test will cost but didn't give the date. This reminds me I need to email them to see when I can go and pay.

Wow, I didn't realize they ordered these tests that early. I did email back in July to the local high school and they were very nice about it. Told me how much the test will cost but didn't give the date. This reminds me I need to email them to see when I can go and pay.

I am not sure why they order the tests so early either. Actually, the lady at the private school told me that if I was in a large hs group, we could sign up to give the test (there are a bunch of rules to follow to administer). But, she said that the tests could be ordered as late as September 14th.

But, she said that the tests could be ordered as late as September 14th.

Our school doesn't order the tests until Sept 14th and orders exactly the number they need based on sign ups which started Tuesday.

It boggles my mind that a school would order them in May based on a guess!

But yes, my PSA was based upon what our school does. It's good that others share their experiences.

FYI:

NMSF - National Merit Semi-Finalist (16,000 students)

NMF - National Merit Finalist (15,000 students - I think - not 100% sure - from the 16,000)

NMC - National Merit Commended (50,000 students including the above 16,000) This year, the cut off for commended was 202. The cut offs for SF varies by state. Last year these numbers were HIGH as the test was easier than other years (really harsh curve and still higher numbers).

NMS - National Merit Scholar - those winning specific scholarships offered by NM. They come from the finalists.

NMSF - National Merit Semi-Finalist (16,000 students)

NMF - National Merit Finalist (15,000 students - I think - not 100% sure - from the 16,000)

NMC - National Merit Commended (50,000 students including the above 16,000) This year, the cut off for commended was 202. The cut offs for SF varies by state. Last year these numbers were HIGH as the test was easier than other years (really harsh curve and still higher numbers).

NMS - National Merit Scholar - those winning specific scholarships offered by NM. They come from the finalists.

Thanks for this. I knew there were several levels. It's so helpful to see them all together.

The dates are Wed, Oct 12 or Sat, Oct 15 (not the 11th or 14th as stated in the OP.)

I would start calling now and register your dc asap.

Thanks for correcting that! I simply copied the dates from the slip of paper youngest son brought home from school. Apparently, someone from the guidance office never changed the dates from last year.

Yes, the tests are ALWAYS on Wed and Sat the second week in Oct.

I'll see if I can edit the original.

Thanks for correcting that! I simply copied the dates from the slip of paper youngest son brought home from school. Apparently, someone from the guidance office never changed the dates from last year.

Yes, the tests are ALWAYS on Wed and Sat the second week in Oct.

I'll see if I can edit the original.

No judgment! Just wanted to make sure the right dates were there. :)

If my dd were not on top of this, I wouldn't have registered her yet. I had a few hoops to jump through, but I did get her registered. Yesterday, in fact. We need the Wednesday testing date b/c dd has a concert on Oct. 15 and will be at dress rehearsals till late the night before. I didn't think she'd do well on either the PSAT or her concert if we crammed it all in, but then, she's young. ;)

I drove to one school to register after calling to make sure they'd take us, was told "YES!" only to find out, once I got there, that they would NOT let her test there b/c we didn't live in that city. "If we take you, we'll have to take everyone who lives outside of the city...." *SIGH*

But, we're good now. Thanks for the reminder! :)

The more I read about "issues" people have with their schools, the more thankful I am for mine. We only have a few homeschoolers come in. There were two last year (one was mine) and four the year before (one was mine), but our school would accept as many as wanted to come with no issues whatsoever as long as they signed up on time and are in 10th or 11th grade.

Our school also has a guidance person looking for the homeschoolers, walking them to their room, and bringing them back to the guidance lobby until they are picked up when they are done. If a parent comes a little late, the students can use the computers or other materials in the guidance office.

I think one year they even made sure the homeschoolers used the correct homeschooling code. The other year my son had to know it himself. I highly recommend each student know their state's code... If I were on top of things, I'd link to the list, but I don't have it at my fingertips. A search on collegeboard should pull it up I would think.

Creekland, thanks for the reminder! I now have one son at the local high school and one at home, so I'm "in the loop," but it's always nice to have a reminder. I'll be taking a hs'ing friend over to help her sign her son up for the PSAT for the first time.

The more I read about "issues" people have with their schools, the more thankful I am for mine. We only have a few homeschoolers come in. There were two last year (one was mine) and four the year before (one was mine), but our school would accept as many as wanted to come with no issues whatsoever as long as they signed up on time and are in 10th or 11th grade.

Yes, I appreciate our local ps too! And they let homeschooled 8th- and 9th-graders take the PSAT no problem. We can sign up right away, so no waiting to see if there are any spots left over. And they must order a generous number of tests, b/c every year they extend the deadline and urge the students to sign up. ETA: they also charge $25, so maybe that covers the costs of extra tests that aren't signed up for?

Our school also has a guidance person looking for the homeschoolers, walking them to their room, and bringing them back to the guidance lobby until they are picked up when they are done. If a parent comes a little late, the students can use the computers or other materials in the guidance office.

Wow, that's nice.

I think one year they even made sure the homeschoolers used the correct homeschooling code. The other year my son had to know it himself. I highly recommend each student know their state's code... If I were on top of things, I'd link to the list, but I don't have it at my fingertips. A search on collegeboard should pull it up I would think.

Here is the link for the PSAT page for homeschoolers. The homeschool codes are linked to from that page.

Edited by Laura in CA

Here is the link for the PSAT page for homeschoolers. The homeschool codes are linked to from that page.

Thanks for posting the links! I was at school when I put that last post on and had kids arriving in 5 minutes, so didn't have time to find it myself.

Also... I have to admit I was the one who goofed in the first post with the dates. I found the slip of paper youngest brought home and it was correct. I have no idea WHY I made that kind of error. It is kind of scary mentally... but, such is life.

Fortunately, I don't have to take the PSAT. :lol: I won't even be proctoring it this year or next considering my youngest is in there.