Menu

Is there something wrong with my child?

Ds was taking his standardized test for 2nd graders and solved a very simple math problem in a pretty complex way. He tested at a 4th grade level for math at the end of 1st grade. This year, there was a problem with a picture of a quarter, 2 dimes, and a penny. He was to choose the coins total worth. Instead of counting change (25, 35, 45, 46) as he had been taught a very long time ago, he worked the problem out like this: 25 and 25 are 50 - minus 4 - equals 46. It was very simple to him, but I wonder if I am moving him along to quickly if this was his way of solving the problem? Does anyone see any potiential problems here?

Sounds like the mental math strategies that Singapore Math was teaching in their level 2 books this year, so I don't see a problem. He's figured a short cut.

My husband and I have discovered during discussions about our daughter;s math progress that we approach mental math for many things quite differently from each other. We both think the other is going about solving the problem in the weirdest way possible:D.

I don't see a problem because nowadays that is how they seem to do it at college well three years ago when I went anyway. The whole mental math thing. I had not been taught that way so it truly confused me. If you learn that way fr the start then it will all work out. Be glad math is strong for him I am terrible and struggled forever. My daughter on the hand 11 could probally balance the checkbook LOL:tongue_smilie:

Mogster - I think your son's way _is_ simpler. When I was shown math methods like this in college (finally!) it was like a bright light being turned on in a very dark room. I'm glad that Singapore and others do start showing these methods earlier. - Jill

I agree, he's doing mental math. We use Singapore and it teaches mental math. One of my sons is great at coming up with his own strategies that work... I was never taught mental math in school...just had to discover it on my own.

I wouldn't worry. My son does things like when the work is too easy, something he knows well, he'll do some strategy like that to challenge himself or make it more fun. As long as he knows how to count change etc I wouldn't worry. RS uses the counting up change to lead into subtraction. So for ex: 16-5 would be 5 to 10 is 5, 10 to 6 is 6 so 5+6=11 so 16-5 is 11.

That's not normal. :confused:

In all seriousness, if it works for him, I think that's what's important. If I've learned one thing while teaching my kids math, it's been that things I do that work for me, are just that - things that work for me. I've come to realize that what I've come to use as simple shortcuts (some I can easily remember doing as far back as elementary school) when sharing them with my kids, make their heads want to explode. :tongue_smilie: I always knew I was special. :lol: Or at least that's what I'm going to call it.

Ds was taking his standardized test for 2nd graders and solved a very simple math problem in a pretty complex way. He tested at a 4th grade level for math at the end of 1st grade. This year, there was a problem with a picture of a quarter, 2 dimes, and a penny. He was to choose the coins total worth. Instead of counting change (25, 35, 45, 46) as he had been taught a very long time ago, he worked the problem out like this: 25 and 25 are 50 - minus 4 - equals 46. It was very simple to him, but I wonder if I am moving him along to quickly if this was his way of solving the problem? Does anyone see any potiential problems here?

That's the best math strategy for this problem. He's doing it right!

That's not normal. :confused:
This is taught in programs that focus on mental math like Right Start and Singapore. Grouping and "add in then take away," as in OP's example, and "take and give" (e.g. 95 + 47 = 100 + 42) are the most basic of mental addition aids.

This is taught in programs that focus on mental math like Right Start and Singapore. Grouping and "add in then take away," as in OP's example, and "take and give" (e.g. 95 + 47 = 100 + 42) are the most basic of mental addition aids.

I should have added an </end sarcasm> after my comment, since that was how I intended it. Sorry for the confusion!

That's the best math strategy for this problem. He's doing it right!

It's one good strategy, but not everybody's best strategy;). Others might just see a 25, 20 & a one and have 46 cents as fast or faster. If there's one thing I've learned teaching my 3 dc math, plus learning from others, is there's no one set way that works the best for everyone. That said, I'm still a fan of kids learning standard algorithms at some point.

I should have added an </end sarcasm> after my comment, since that was how I intended it. Sorry for the confusion!
And I should have put a smiley. I was offering you support to deal with your abnormality. :)

And I should have put a smiley. I was offering you support to deal with your abnormality. :)

:D Well that's good, because my children tell me quite often that I'm not normal. I need all the support I can get!

It's one good strategy, but not everybody's best strategy;). Others might just see a 25, 20 & a one and have 46 cents as fast or faster. If there's one thing I've learned teaching my 3 dc math, plus learning from others, is there's no one set way that works the best for everyone. That said, I'm still a fan of kids learning standard algorithms at some point.

It's the best if he'd have to think about it otherwise, which seems to be the case. :-) With that example, I'd just look and know now, as an adult, but if you have to "do something" more, that approach is typically much faster.

Sounds like he's very smart to have figured that out on his own! RightStart teaches strategies like this so he is doing fine! I often tell people that RightStart teaches children how to do math the way that people who are gifted in math naturally do it!