Menu

Course Descriptions...COMPLETED!!

I feel a huge sigh of relief. I have all my school paperwork completed and organized in a binder and I have a wonderful sheet for keeping track of hours and grades for each subject. The Course Descriptions (how to write them...and then actually writing them! ugh) and keeping track of time/grades were my two great overwhelming burdens. They were paralyzing me into inaction. I then went to a high school meeting, and was given three WONDERFUL forms that fit my organization skills to a T, and some examples of how to use them. Wow! What a difference! I did not, did not, did not, want to hassle with one of those computer grading/planning things. WAY too complicated for what I need, but I almost hit the buy button the other day out of sheer desperation. SO GLAD I DIDN'T!! :party:

Yeppers, life is good today. :lol:

Melissa,

Yeah! It must feel great to be all ready to go!

Would you share the three forms that helped you?

Thanks!

Deb

I feel a huge sigh of relief. I have all my school paperwork completed and organized in a binder and I have a wonderful sheet for keeping track of hours and grades for each subject. The Course Descriptions (how to write them...and then actually writing them! ugh) and keeping track of time/grades were my two great overwhelming burdens. They were paralyzing me into inaction. I then went to a high school meeting, and was given three WONDERFUL forms that fit my organization skills to a T, and some examples of how to use them. Wow! What a difference! I did not, did not, did not, want to hassle with one of those computer grading/planning things. WAY too complicated for what I need, but I almost hit the buy button the other day out of sheer desperation. SO GLAD I DIDN'T!! :party:

.. while I was working on it. Counselor letters were probably the worst - until I got the hang of them. Now I'm stuck on homeschool philosophy - I thought I could do a better job probably isn't going to cut it....

We had both of these done for the common app, but saved on our computer, not the app itself. Then, literally the next day, our hard drive died. It's at the shop now seeing if there's any way it can be fixed as I do NOT want to try to write them over again (sigh).

To the OP - congrats on having course descriptions completed!

Melissa, are these forms something you could share with others? I would love to see them as I feel overwhelmed thinking about how to do this. I'd love to do he happy dance like you! Thanks, Sue

Congrats! I *just* finished my son's 9th-grade course descriptions, and am working on 10th grade (which he's just starting this year). WHEW! Yes, it's such a relief! :001_smile:

What really, really helped was seeing Margaret in CO's course descriptions that she posted here ... so short and concise, but thorough. It gave me a vision of what I really wanted to have, for myself and for submitting to colleges. That gave me the energy to just do it. It had been hanging over my head for months and months. I've written up some basic ones for 10th and 11th as a kind of road map of where we're going and that's very exciting too! :D

We had both of these done for the common app, but saved on our computer, not the app itself. Then, literally the next day, our hard drive died. It's at the shop now seeing if there's any way it can be fixed as I do NOT want to try to write them over again (sigh).

Oh no! I hope your files can be recovered. I'm kind of fastidious about printing out what I'm working on, even if it's just rough drafts and it uses up printer ink, b/c our computer is on its last legs, and I don't trust computers anyway ... I used to be an editor, and I *never* had a manuscript just vanish, but computer files did it all the time :001_huh: And like you, once I'm done I NEVER want to do these again. Here's hoping you get your files back ...

Oh no! I hope your files can be recovered. I'm kind of fastidious about printing out what I'm working on, even if it's just rough drafts and it uses up printer ink, b/c our computer is on its last legs, and I don't trust computers anyway ... I used to be an editor, and I *never* had a manuscript just vanish, but computer files did it all the time :001_huh: And like you, once I'm done I NEVER want to do these again. Here's hoping you get your files back ...

No news yet and I'm beginning to think no news will lead to bad news. :glare:

Monday I guess I'll start retyping. Middle son will have to retype at least one essay too because mom (that would be me) told him to wait to put it on the application. Poor guy. I just thought he might want to adjust it a little after he thought about it. I hadn't read it, so I don't know how it was. I was just going on auto-mom and thinking a first draft might not be one's best.

Ladies I would love to share the forms with you but I don't know how?? I don't have a scanner so I wouldn't know how to get them on my computer and then to you. :confused:

They are very simple. One is just a simple course description form to fill out with our schools name at the top, the course title, students name, grade, date begun, date completed, and then a spot to check 1 semester or 2 semesters and how many credits. Then a paragraph like this: Course Description:_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(with several more lines)

Another break and a paragraph like this Curriculum/Publisher:__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Then another break and at the bottom is listed Course Standards:Grade is based on_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(This is where you put how you plan on taking grades for the course. For example for my math I have listed homework, quizzes and tests. This is also where you could put how you plan to weigh your grades if you want. I listed that homework would get 10pts per graded and corrected assignment with a max of 50pts per week. Basically I am giving my son credit for doing his homework to mastery, but his quizzes and tests will make up the bulk of his grades. I got the homework points idea from a ps principle. =)

The next form is a Grade Report Worksheet.

The top lists the students name and course name. There is then a chart with 5 columns. The first column on the left has a "date" heading, the next an "assignment" heading, the next "# of hours", the next "% earned" and the last column is "% possible". Under the last three columns you have a 3 lines titles "Subtotals". and then at the very bottom of the page you have this

Key__________________________________________________________

Where you can put in a key for your assignments. Such as Quizzes=Q, Homework=H etc. So you don't have to write out entire words in your assignments column.

Under "date" you can list each day, or you can list a date range such as a week 8/22-8/26. Then in the assignments area you can list the things graded that week. Example for math; homework, quiz. You don't have to list each homework assignment grade, you can group them into a week. Then you would list the hours of work completed that week in math. You would then put how many credits the student earned that week (the grades) and then out of how many possible in the last column. You do this through the semester and then add the totals at the bottom.

The last sheet is a Grade Report Sheet. This is where you take your totals from the assignment sheet and input them into a simple form like this:

Final % earned for semester: ____________

Final % possible for semester: ___________

You then divide the final % earned by the final % possible and you get your

Final Percentage:___________

Concluding with

Semester Course Final Grade:________

These basic forms just simplified the process for me and made it seem SO SIMPLE.

I have each one of the above sheets made out for each subject. I also made for myself a very simple weekly grading chart for highly graded subjects like math and science to jot down daily grades before putting them in the above assignment form. At the end of each week, I will take my messy weekly grading form, and transfer the grades/percentages to my (above) assignment sheet.

OK in previewing this I can see that I have probably totally confused you all! :lol: For those who are really desperate PM me and we can figure out a way to get the forms to you. ;)

I listed that homework would get 10pts per graded and corrected assignment with a max of 50pts per week. Basically I am giving my son credit for doing his homework to mastery, but his quizzes and tests will make up the bulk of his grades. I got the homework points idea from a ps principle. =)

OK, quick question. Do you give him 10 pts. for having turned it in complete, even if, say, he got totally confused and bombed it? So you're not penalizing him for those assignments where he did his best, but just didn't get it right? Or do you grade it normally, then assign points based on number correct?

I've been starting to keep my grades at Engrade.com, and the points for homework idea is intriguing.

OK, quick question. Do you give him 10 pts. for having turned it in complete, even if, say, he got totally confused and bombed it? So you're not penalizing him for those assignments where he did his best, but just didn't get it right? Or do you grade it normally, then assign points based on number correct?

I've been starting to keep my grades at Engrade.com, and the points for homework idea is intriguing.

I am mainly only using this for math. He gets 10 pts for each turned in, graded and CORRECTED homework assignment. If I grade it and he gets none wrong, he still gets 10 pts. If I grade it and he gets some wrong he must correct the ones wrong to get his 10 pts. If he refuses to correct the assignment, then pts are deducted. So far he has yet to refuse to correct his work, but should he someday refuse, then I will probably take all 10 points away for attitude, which will give him a 0 out of 10 for that days work. I'm a big meanie. The corrected work must have the correct answers as well. So if it's not correct the 2nd time, he must continue correcting until he gets it right.

He doesn't like correcting his math so it's encouraging him to do it right the first time. ;)

Make sense?

ETA: you can use any pt number you want. I thought about giving 2pt per home work assignment with a 10pt total at weeks end. I am still second guessing myself on that.

Edited by Melissa in CA

I just copied Melissa's message with her form on it and pasted it in text format directly into Word so I could try reformatting it, and it came out perfectly! Try it if you're interested in seeing her form.

Melissa, ignore the PM - I got the form already!icon10.gif

Sara

I just copied Melissa's message with her form on it and pasted it in text format directly into Word so I could try reformatting it, and it came out perfectly! Try it if you're interested in seeing her form.

Melissa, ignore the PM - I got the form already!icon10.gif

Sara

Wow! Really? I'm sure you had to tweak it some though right...add more lines, etc? :D

Thanks for sharing, Melissa. I just have a question:

for the college application, does anybody really want to see a sheet with dates and assignments and grades? Don't they just want course descriptions (if at all)?

No, no, that sheet, and the grade report sheet, is only for my use. It helps me keep everything in one place. At the end of the quarter or semester, I can look at said sheet, add up the two grade columns, input them into the Grade Report sheet, do the math, and I have my grade to put on my ds's report card. You keep one set of these sheets for each subject, therefore you have your grades all there ready to rumble at reporting time. Not nuclear science, just a basic easy way to keep things organized. There are other ways of course, this just happens to fit me perfectly.

Also, according to my high school advisors, they have had experiences with some colleges wanting to see ALL the students high school work that was used toward a grade. They recommend keep every graded assignment and ALL math work, graded or not....which is a big pain in the backside....so if I do keep the grading sheet in my files, they will at least see when I graded for things like discussion participation and what not.

Anyhow, since I am using MFW for high school which already has a lesson planner filled out for me (I just add in my other subjects in the empty boxes they provide), I didn't need, nor want, a lesson planner book, or one of those complicated computer programs. These simple pages were a godsend to me, I figured they might be to someone else as well. ;)

No, no, that sheet, and the grade report sheet, is only for my use. It helps me keep everything in one place. At the end of the quarter or semester, I can look at said sheet, add up the two grade columns, input them into the Grade Report sheet, do the math, and I have my grade to put on my ds's report card. You keep one set of these sheets for each subject, therefore you have your grades all there ready to rumble at reporting time. Not nuclear science, just a basic easy way to keep things organized. There are other ways of course, this just happens to fit me perfectly.

Oh, thanks, that makes sense.

Also, according to my high school advisors, they have had experiences with some colleges wanting to see ALL the students high school work that was used toward a grade. They recommend keep every graded assignment and ALL math work, graded or not....which is a big pain in the backside....so if I do keep the grading sheet in my files, they will at least see when I graded for things like discussion participation and what not.

ALL math work? Are they kidding? Each year's math work fills a two inch binder - who will ever want to see that?

We do keep it, of course - but I can't imagine how anybody would go about showing it. I mean, you don't send the originals anywhere...

ALL math work? Are they kidding? Each year's math work fills a two inch binder - who will ever want to see that?

We do keep it, of course - but I can't imagine how anybody would go about showing it. I mean, you don't send the originals anywhere...

I know!!! I dont think many colleges ask for proof of work completed, but this is a just in case precaution as they have had this happen. One student had to show her Alg 1 work she did in 8th grade. Even though she had gone on to take several higher level math courses in high school! :confused: So, as a precaution, they are recommending that we save all work that goes toward a grade, and all math homework as well. :tongue_smilie:

I'm wondering if this is another one of those CA things. I've yet to have any school ask us for any proof of anything (other than transcripts from the cc and AP/ACT, etc) and between my two boys, they've been looking at pretty much all types of schools from small Christian to large public with many privates in there. I'm getting the feeling that CA is in its own world at times, BUT, I'm guessing. I would love to know which colleges ask for something like that and how recent it's been.

Personally, I'd cross off any school that was that big of a pain unless testing scores didn't show proof of ability.

I'm wondering if this is another one of those CA things. I've yet to have any school ask us for any proof of anything (other than transcripts from the cc and AP/ACT, etc) and between my two boys, they've been looking at pretty much all types of schools from small Christian to large public with many privates in there. I'm getting the feeling that CA is in its own world at times, BUT, I'm guessing. I would love to know which colleges ask for something like that and how recent it's been.

Personally, I'd cross off any school that was that big of a pain unless testing scores didn't show proof of ability.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it IS a CA thing. I've lived here all my life and CA thinking still boggles my mind. :confused:

How many problems per day does he do?

I like the idea, but I'm worried I would suffer open revolt.

Well, we are using BJU with DVDs and some days the teacher only assigns about 20 problems. It's nothing like Saxon or Chalkdust. My ds began the year with Chalkdust but very quickly got overwhelmed. It just moved too quickly for him with too much information to retain....plus waaaaaaaaaaay too many problems per day, and choosing which problems to assign was a bit overwhelming for me. ;)

I know!!! I dont think many colleges ask for proof of work completed, but this is a just in case precaution as they have had this happen. One student had to show her Alg 1 work she did in 8th grade. Even though she had gone on to take several higher level math courses in high school! :confused: So, as a precaution, they are recommending that we save all work that goes toward a grade, and all math homework as well. :tongue_smilie:

:001_huh:

:svengo::cursing:

Well, I already $&?@/'ed that up. Good thing he plans to take 4 credits beyond that! :tongue_smilie:

You were an inspiration to me! So I got going and have been working all week on my course descriptions, too! Although I have been doing the course descriptions each year for junior and senior high school, I found that I needed to go back and "firm" them up. Now I have my son's course descriptions for high school finished! And just in case, I've printed them off so no possible computer crash here! Next step...the common application.

Myra