Menu

Younger child catching up!

Anybody ever dealt with the issue of the younger sibling being advanced and quickly catching up with an older child academically? My oldest is not reacting well to her younger sister catching up. I have been trying to point out all her strengths, but honestly learning is much harder for her than it is for her sister. My 7 year old is finishing up 2nd grade and my 5 year old just started 2nd grade work. Any advice?

Some ideas I have run across:

Put the two children in different texts so that it is not so obvious where the younger one is in relation to the older.

Try hard to eliminate "grade" labeling. Each child is where he is and where he is - is good! :)

Don't hold the younger one back just b/c he's catching up/surpassing his older sibling. The younger one has a right to move ahead at his own pace.

Lots of family discussions about supporting one another, encouraging one another and cheering for one another's accomplishments. Find the older one something to do that is "all his" - don't let the younger one horn in on it. The children *are* going to know that one is smarter/faster/whatever than the other. The question is, how will they handle it? This is the part that calls for great tact and creativity on your part!!

Hth,

Anne

Some ideas I have run across:

Put the two children in different texts so that it is not so obvious where the younger one is in relation to the older.

Try hard to eliminate "grade" labeling. Each child is where he is and where he is - is good! :)

Don't hold the younger one back just b/c he's catching up/surpassing his older sibling. The younger one has a right to move ahead at his own pace.

Lots of family discussions about supporting one another, encouraging one another and cheering for one another's accomplishments. Find the older one something to do that is "all his" - don't let the younger one horn in on it. The children *are* going to know that one is smarter/faster/whatever than the other. The question is, how will they handle it? This is the part that calls for great tact and creativity on your part!!

Hth,

Anne

:iagree: I would not have thought of giving them different texts... brilliant!

Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought about different textbooks! That is an easy solution since their learning styles are different anyway. I think I will also sit down with my oldest and see if we can find a special activity that can be all hers since there is no way I'm slowing down my younger child. Thank for all the help!!!

Anybody ever dealt with the issue of the younger sibling being advanced and quickly catching up with an older child academically? My oldest is not reacting well to her younger sister catching up. I have been trying to point out all her strengths, but honestly learning is much harder for her than it is for her sister. My 7 year old is finishing up 2nd grade and my 5 year old just started 2nd grade work. Any advice?

I started two boys at the same point in several things, and when they spread out as their ability levels and maturity separated them more and more, my response was more or less "deal with it." :-) One is ahead because he's doing more. When you do more, that's what happens. If you don't like it, you have to decide for yourself whether it's a worthwhile expenditure of your finite time and energy to keep up. I don't make a big deal out of it and expect the children not to, so aside from some disappointment, it's a non-issue.

My 6yo is catching up to my 10 yo so I feel your pain. He is not amused by the situation. I thought 4 years apart in age would keep them academically separated enough. I was wrong. She will catch him in the next 18 months at the most.

I have no solution but I won't keep my 6yo back, that wouldn't be kind to her. I try to separate their academic time as much as I can.

My almost 6yo is closing the gap quickly between herself and her 10 yo brother. They started the school year 6 books apart and now are only 3. I am hoping dd loses momentum when it comes time to do the textbook level math so that they , at least, are never in the same book.

I am very careful to praise my kids for their effort and hard work rather than their grade level and ability to grasp concepts quickly. This has been necessary to lesson the effects of perfectionism in my youngest and has also helped to keep sibling rivalryto a minimum as well.

We've got that here. My children are almost 2 years apart, however, my dd is a great and early reader and academics come so easily to her. My ds had problems with it for a long time, but I've just been frank and told him what things he's great at, etc. Next year we will actually be combining a few more subjects. I started thinking that I homeschool and I need to take advantage of the things I can. I will see if it goes well, but I've talked with them about it and they are both fine with it. I think it depends on each family and how the children would react. Now my kids would not have been fine with it early this year, I've only started to feel like they are okay with combining in the last month or two. Who knows it may not go at all, but we'll at least try it. I wish you the best, it is hard to have a younger child who seems to outshine the other one in all things academic. Of course it helps the older one feel better since my dd6 still can't ride a 2 wheel bike! And he is ahead physically.