Menu

Can mineral oil be mixed into a drink to make it more pleasant tasting?

Have you ever tasted mineral oil? It's horrid. Seriously, can't they come up with a better laxative for a 4yo? Sigh. Can I mix it into something to make it easier to take? I googled and found suggestions of mixing it into orange juice, but he doesn't like orange juice. Can other beverages be used?

Our experience with mineral oil has been that you can mix it into most things and it makes them taste yucky too. We never found anything that masked the taste.

We had the best luck with drinking the dose down quick and then following up with a tasty drink to "wash down the taste". One time when we didn't have anything handy to drink, DD was able to "survive" only by eating hershey's kisses afterwards.....;)

Since I assume he will only have to take it once, I would just squirt it in his mouth and be done with it.

Mineral oil is a pretty strong laxative and blocks absorption of nutrients. If you have to use it more that once a year or so, you may want to look at Miralax instead.

We had to use mineral oil once or twice, but it was only in desperate circumstances before I figured out my children can only have one serving of a milk or cheese product a day.

Since I assume he will only have to take it once, I would just squirt it in his mouth and be done with it.

Um, no. It's been prescribed once daily for 30 days.

And squirting it in his mouth is not very effective. Yesterday I ended up *wearing* quite a bit of his medicine.

Also consider magnesium citrate. There is a laxative version at the pharmacy that's very inexpensive and flavored (though I haven't tasted it).

For daily control of constipation, one of my kids takes magnesium citrate, powdered (which is citrus-tasting) from the vitamin store, about 1/4 tsp, mixed with water and a little (1/4 tsp) sugar. He says it tastes like lemonade. (a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down?)

Our experience with mineral oil has been that you can mix it into most things and it makes them taste yucky too. We never found anything that masked the taste.

Sorry, but that's our experience as well. I can tell you what *doesn't* work; applesauce, sprite, chocolate pudding... :tongue_smilie:

Sorry, but that's our experience as well. I can tell you what *doesn't* work; applesauce, sprite, chocolate pudding... :tongue_smilie:

I was afraid that would be the case.

Miralax is completely tasteless and very effective. You can drink it in water and not even know it. My almost 5 year old has been taking it for years. The ped had us start with 1/2 cap-full daily. Now she takes it every other day. The last time I got the generic at Walmart. I believe it was about $17 for a bottle of 30 cap-fulls (30 adult doses).

And squirting it in his mouth is not very effective. Yesterday I ended up *wearing* quite a bit of his medicine.

Yikes, I would be very concerned about that! There are so many better options for children!

I second Miralax. I am very experienced in this matter.:001_huh:

Miralax can be dissolved in any liquid and is tasteless.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:I would tell the doctor that your child will not take minerol oil and ask if Miralax is ok and how much. Honesty , I am surprised they ordered this since as a RN for over 2 decades, I had to give it maybe once. The thing with Miralax is that it does not stimulate the bowel which is good. It only draws water into the bowel.

When DD10 was 2, we had to give her mineral oil for a while. We mixed it in with chocolate pudding and she had no problem eating it. However, she didn't get to have chocolate pudding other than with the mineral oil, so she didn't know what it was supposed to taste like. It might be worth a try.

I have never tried mineral oil and have no idea of the amount you are talking about. but when I was a child my grandmother gave me cod liver oil. she put salt on the spoon as well, it took a lot of the taste away, and I was left with a salty taste instead of a fishy taste. I wonder if salt would work with mineral oil as well.

I would tell the doctor that your child will not take minerol oil and ask if Miralax is ok and how much.

Thank you. That is a great way to ask. I always feel bad when I question the doctor, even though I know I shouldn't.

• Like 1

I'm currently waiting for a call back from the doc to see what we're going to do about this. I did more research and a lot of the websites (like Mayo Clinic) say not to use it for more than a week because it blocks absorption of nutrients, and also not to use mineral oil in kids under 6 because they can aspirate tiny droplets of oil and then develop pneumonia. :001_huh:

I'm currently waiting for a call back from the doc to see what we're going to do about this. I did more research and a lot of the websites (like Mayo Clinic) say not to use it for more than a week because it blocks absorption of nutrients, and also not to use mineral oil in kids under 6 because they can aspirate tiny droplets of oil and then develop pneumonia. :001_huh:

Miralax is very safe and the generic works well. DD10 was also on a prescription liquid called Lactulose for many years that was VERY gentle and effective. It was also very inexpensive.

Honestly, your doctor is an idiot. Who in their right mind prescribes mineral oil for a child? Most adults won't even take it.

I vote for miralax or warm prune juice, and a new doctor.

ETA: Oh, yeah, sign me RN, BSN (three credits shy of an MSN in Maternal Child Nursing)

Edited by Rainefox

UPDATE: The doc maintains that mineral oil is the best way to get him to pass his impaction. He does say that he needs to take a multivitamin every day to replace any lost nutrients.

And I have found that if I mix it with super-concentrated pink lemonade, he doesn't even realize he's taking it.

I would still use olive oil instead. At least it is meant to be ingested and is actually good for you.

UPDATE: The doc maintains that mineral oil is the best way to get him to pass his impaction. He does say that he needs to take a multivitamin every day to replace any lost nutrients.

And I have found that if I mix it with super-concentrated pink lemonade, he doesn't even realize he's taking it.

My ds had trouble with constipation as a toddler, so you have my sympathies! We ended up using Senocot, but the Miralax sounds like a much better option. Removing milk from his diet got him out of that cycle, by the way. It was a glorious thing!

Here is my question--and I honestly don't know, but maybe some of our docs or nurses here could enlighten us--if the mineral oil keeps you from absorbing vitamins, how would a vitamin supplement help? Would that actually be absorbed when the vitamins from food aren't? Just something I've wondered...

I still think your doctor is an idiot. I'm an RN, and I have certainly seen my share of idiots with medical licenses. It sounds to me like he learned once long ago that mineral oil is a 'great laxative' and that information got filed in his brain and no other information can ever dislodge it. Miralax is far more appropriate for a child than mineral oil will ever be.

As an example of idiot doctors, I have had to take orders from one moron who would only order pain medication via IM injection, because that particular moron had learned eons ago in his medical education that IM injections were THE way to give pain medications post op. He refused to even consider a PCA or even IV push medications. I could go on and on with further examples, but really, in my professional opinion, this doctor of yours is yet another poster child of medical incompetence.

I still think your doctor is an idiot. I'm an RN, and I have certainly seen my share of idiots with medical licenses. It sounds to me like he learned once long ago that mineral oil is a 'great laxative' and that information got filed in his brain and no other information can ever dislodge it. Miralax is far more appropriate for a child than mineral oil will ever be.

As an example of idiot doctors, I have had to take orders from one moron who would only order pain medication via IM injection, because that particular moron had learned eons ago in his medical education that IM injections were THE way to give pain medications post op. He refused to even consider a PCA or even IV push medications. I could go on and on with further examples, but really, in my professional opinion, this doctor of yours is yet another poster child of medical incompetence.

I've never really disagreed with him on anything before, but now that I think about it, we've never really seen him for much besides well checks or the occasional strep throat. We don't go to the doctor much.

• 9 years later...
On 8/22/2011 at 2:00 PM, mo2 said:

I wouldn't feel safe putting oil in to the mouth of a uncooperative child.  Aspirating oil is a very bad thing, and even a kid who normally swallows well, can have trouble in situations like that.

I might be overstating the danger, because of my background with special needs, and this might not actually be that dangerous, but I'd be very hesitant.