Menu

Anyone own a yogurt maker? Which one should I buy?

1/2 gal or so (i oftentimes just add til the crockpot is full) whole milk in crock pot on low for 3 hours

after 3 hours turn off crock pot for 4 hours

after 4 hours remove some liquid and mix it with a 1/2 cup or so (or so, because I add a bit more if the crockpot is filled to top) live culture plain yoghurt

Wrap with a towel and let sit over night on counter

This is the best yoghurt ever, you won't want to go back to store bought!! We flavor ours with honey or truvia, add fresh berries, I also sometimes put in some instant pudding mix to make chocolate or some other flavor! Enjoy

We do the same as above with a crockpot (only we heat for 2.5 hours and let sit before adding starter for 3 hours). It's sooo easy.

ETA - I use one packet of gelatin to thicken. It's still thinner than storebought. Unless you strain it, as belor, it just will be. Also, remember as soon as it's done sitting to save a cup of yogurt to be the starter next time.

Edited by milovaný

I use a Salton, but I couldn't find a link to the one I have. It was pretty inexpensive and well worth the purchase. I use skim milk and powdered milk and it comes out great. After it cools, I strain it in cheesecloth to thicken (just plop it in, squeeze out some of the whey and then let it hang over a bowl for a while). If I hang it for 2 hours, it will be as thick as Greek yogurt, but of course, it reduces the amount of yogurt you get. Cost-wise, this is much cheaper than paying 1.50 for a small container of Greek yogurt, though! So good.:)

I used this recipe...

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

And it worked Great!

It also talks about using skim milk and what you can use to thicken it. It is very thin even with whole milk.

Makes me want to make some.... except I am almost out of milk! :)

:iagree:

I use this recipe, too! It does work great! So easy and so yummy!

Just a thought that when food has some fat in it, your body is able to use the nutrients. My mom makes yogurt with "not instant" dried milk. I think by playing with more dried milk, you can make it thicker. I wouldn't care to add gelatin to my yogurt. This was before we used organic products, but I bet you could find the Organic Dried Milk :)

In the interest of saving money and improving our overall health, I am considering buying a yogurt maker; however, I have never made yogurt in my life, save for an experiment in biology class 25 years ago.

Which yogurt maker is easy to use and reasonably priced? :bigear:

My yogurt maker is a cooler and a thermometer. I use the hillbilly housewife recipe. Bring the milk to XX temp to kill the cooties. Cool it back down to YY temp (to avoid killing the yogurt). Add a tablespoon of yogurt as starter (I freeze yogurt ice cubes for this purpose) and mix it in. I then pour my yogurt onto an old plastic yogurt container and put it in my cooler. I surround the hot yogurt with jars of hot water and put the lid on. 6-8 hours later I take a peek and have yogurt. It's magical every time.

This method HAS to be faster than a crock pot because you can heat quickly on a stove. I also cheat and cool quickly by putting my pot in a sink of cold water and stirring until it's cool enough. It might be a 10-15 investment of hands-on time, and the rest is just waiting. I use my meat thermometer. If you don't own one you should because it's cheaper than a yoghurt maker, occupies less space, and is infinitely more useful.

Edited by KungFuPanda

Just a thought that when food has some fat in it, your body is able to use the nutrients. My mom makes yogurt with "not instant" dried milk. I think by playing with more dried milk, you can make it thicker. I wouldn't care to add gelatin to my yogurt. This was before we used organic products, but I bet you could find the Organic Dried Milk :)

Organic Valley sells organic nonfat dry milk. There may be other brands, but this is the one that is carried locally in my stores.

I always use Dannon plain yogurt as a starter. It makes a very nice, thick batch and is what is recommended for people with serious digestive problems. I guess it is just a really good culture. Bulgarian starter is supposed to be the best so if you can get that it is worth it.

This method HAS to be faster than a crock pot...

Faster maybe (*maybe*), but more involved. With the crockpot method, it's plug in, unplug, add starter, surround with towels and wait. No stirring while the milk heats, no temperature taking, no moving containers to incubate, etc. That works for you and that's great! But I quit making yogurt a few years ago because of all these different things. Now I'm making it again because it's so easy with this method. We've gone from none to a gallon a week again.

Edited by milovaný

I've used the ice chest, heating pad, yogourmet (?) yougurt maker. Probably others that I can't think of now! Now I have an Excaliber dehydrater that fits 6, 1/2 gallon jars in it and has a temp. setting for yogurt. Love it!

http://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-Tray-Dehydrator-Dehydrater-Excaliber/dp/B000I6MXZG

I also always, always make 24 hour yogurt and usually add a capsule of probiotic along with the yogurt culture after the milk cools down and before it goes in the dehydrator. Fermenting the yogurt 24 hours make the yogurt super digestible and makes the probiotic count amazingly high. Adding in a little pb of your own to the culture makes it that much better. It is tart after 24h but with more honey than usual it taste's great.

SCD™ 24 HR yoghurt really is one of the most healthy foods you can find and its incredibly good value too. What else gives you 700 billion good bacteria per cup, lots of protein, vitamins, minerals, amino acids in an easy to digest, delicious tasting, incredible value, food. If you had to try to buy the same in a manufactured product you would have hundreds of pills and of course they would need to pack chemicals in with them to allow them to be manufactured.

peach_yog.jpgSCD™Yoghurt is fermented for 24 hrs, unlike commercial yoghurt which is only fermented for about 4. The long 24 hour fermentation that we give ensures that all the lactose (milk sugar) in the milk is used up. The Lactose in the milk is a disaccharide and the fermentation converts it to galactose which is a monosaccharide that is easy to absorb as well as to L-lactic acid (the form the body can use). We also restrict the bacteria cultures that are used to ferment the milk to specific ones that have been found to be very beneficial.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/beginners_guide/yoghurt/yoghurt.htm

Edited by JENinOR

Faster maybe (*maybe*), but more involved. With the crockpot method, it's plug in, unplug, add starter, surround with towels and wait. No stirring while the milk heats, no temperature taking, no moving containers to incubate, etc. That works for you and that's great! But I quit making yogurt a few years ago because of all these different things. Now I'm making it again because it's so easy with this method. We've gone from none to a gallon a week again.

I see your point . . . to do what works for you. I just don't have the patience to drag a 15 minute process out for 7 hours when it could yogh (it's a verb now) in that amount of time. :D Also, it's easier to pour the hot milk into fridge-sized containers than it is to scoop thickened yoghurt out of a crockpot.

Yes, I am being argumentative. I'm trying to win a Best Yogurt Method trophy for my mantle.:thumbup:

1/2 gal or so (i oftentimes just add til the crockpot is full) whole milk in crock pot on low for 3 hours

after 4 hours remove some liquid and mix it with a 1/2 cup or so (or so, because I add a bit more if the crockpot is filled to top) live culture plain yoghurt

This is the best yoghurt ever, you won't want to go back to store bought!! We flavor ours with honey or truvia, add fresh berries, I also sometimes put in some instant pudding mix to make chocolate or some other flavor! Enjoy

This is how we do it too, except I leave it on for 2.5 hours, then off for 3 and then add the yogurt. I like how easy this recipe is and my kids love the yogurt!

:iagree: Best.Yogurt! I also have a strainer that I use after I make the yogurt and get some nice, thick, Greek yogurt!

I used this recipe...

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

And it worked Great!

It also talks about using skim milk and what you can use to thicken it. It is very thin even with whole milk.

Makes me want to make some.... except I am almost out of milk! :)

I think this is the site I originally got the recipe from. I use organic skim milk and just add some organic powdered milk when I add the starter (or store bought) yogurt.

I've seen crock-pot recipes before, but never tried them. Last night I did it, and it came out great. Right now I have some straining for Greek yogurt.

I just wanted to share positive results!

I bought a yogurt maker, used it once and realized I had way too much yogurt to fit into it. I used my Excalibur Dehydrator for the excess and then realized ~ well duh! If I can do it in there why do I need an extra appliance?

I haven't used it since and it's in the yard sale pile!