Menu

If you had a highly active baby in utero, was he/she super active once born?

This child I am carrying is by far the most active of all my pregnancies. I must admit, this makes me a little nervous, LOL.

My first, I didn't have anything to compare to. She was active for sure, and when she was born she cried and cried for about 30 min, completely inconsolable. Her activity from that day until now has always been vocal, LOL.

With my ds, he was active - probably more active than dd was, but in a different way. When he was born, he didn't cry at all. He didn't even cry for his circumcision. I kid you not. Consequently, he got pneumonia as a baby, supposedly from not crying out all that mucous. He was the most quiet, laid back baby I have ever, still to this day, met (why is he not this way now!?LOL).

THIS child? Oh. my. word. He is active as active can be. It seems as though he doesn't stop. He used to have a very definite pattern. Now it's just all the time. And it's not like he's "kicking" so much. It's more rolls or something that I don't know what because he makes my entire stomach move. Not just a certain spot, but the entire thing. I feel like sometimes I can feel him in my back too. It's odd.

I have a friend who says the more active they are in utero, the more laid back they are after they're born. I've not read that or heard that anywhere else. In fact, it's been the opposite.

Just for fun, what's your experience been?

All 3 of mine were active and I loved laying on my back watching my belly make waves. But #3 was definitely the most active. Even my sonographers commented on how she was the most active baby they'd ever seen. During one sonogram, when the sonographer put the sensor thingy on my belly, she tried to kick it away.

She's 6 now, and our favorite description of her is: She doesn't walk yet. She runs, climbs, hops, skips, prances, flitters, jumps; but she doesn't walk.

Elizabeth

Both my boys were very active in utero. Neither one of them was "laid back" when they were born!! My last ds was so busy we called him "Flipper" until we knew his gender!! He was extremely active, one reason being I had excess amniotic fluid so there was lots of room to play! As a matter of fact, there was so much room he went breech a week before he was due and then flipped back down again!! He was probably my most active of the three I carried. And, he was probably the most active after birth as well.

I have a friend who says the more active they are in utero, the more laid back they are after they're born. I've not read that or heard that anywhere else. In fact, it's been the opposite.

Um....what is your friend smoking? :D

My active-in-utero girl is my active-in-reality girl. She is non-stop energy, until she collapses from expending so much of it. She also cried more than she did anything else in her first 6 months, and I nearly jumped out my ground level window :eek: because of it. I believe, now, that all the crying was her only way to expend energy then. The more mobile she became, the more the crying decreased. She is a wondeful, bright spot in my present life!

The more in-utero active of my two has always been my most content and easy-going. Definitely not a busy baby, kid or teen.

Curiosity question -- was that one your first or second born? Not even sure what this has to do with anything, but it seemed relevant when the idea came to my feeble mind. :o

This was my experience, too. The quietest (before birth) was very demanding and slept little. Two VERY active ones were gentle, easy babies.

Then again, I had two other babies who were moderately active who were pretty easy, too.

So . . . I'd say it's too early to predict the nature of the little one!

So would you say "active" = hyperactive? Or were they content, but just moved a lot? I am nervous about hyperactivity. I just don't have patience for that, LOL.

Hyperactive? Hmmm. Yes, I think some would describe me daughter that way, but we don't. Or, I should say, we try not to. It's so easy to pin a negative on what is really a positive. I think about all the "hyperactive" people who have gone on to run Fortune 500 companies, invent lightbulbs, run marathons, and so on. It all depends on where and how you channel it, right?

Trust me -- if you have a child who is energetic and busy, you'll find stores of patience you never knew you had.

Doran

were super-active, "whole stomach moving," babies in utero. They are busy kids. (Well, the youngest is only 4 months now). They're not "hyperactive" at all, though, but other people do mention how "athletic" mine are, LOL. I don't notice it because it's all I've ever known. I do find myself issuing a "quiet down" about once a day, but I don't know anyone who doesn't do that with kids in the house.:o

My most active in the tummy was definitely my 3rd. It was unreal how active he was. My stomach took shapes that I didn't think were possible. He most certainly is my most active kid. He's 5 now and there are days (like today) that it sounds like we have an elephant in the house. He literally bounces off the walls. Still, I wouldn't consider him hyperactive. The older he gets, the more fun I have with him. And, I have SO many stories that I'll get to tell his future wife, lol.

My two most active babies in utero were without a doubt my busiest kids. My 2nd daughter even kicked me as she was being born...she was half out and still doing scissor kicks. The 4th one kicked during my entire 26 hour labor, DURING contractions. When she was born she passed out cold and didn't even cry. I think she was more exhausted than I was.

Contrarily, my 5th girl was so quiet in utero that days would go by without a peep. I spent my last trimester worried to death something was wrong with her, but she's still as quiet as a mouse.

Barb

This child I am carrying is by far the most active of all my pregnancies. I must admit, this makes me a little nervous, LOL.

My first, I didn't have anything to compare to. She was active for sure, and when she was born she cried and cried for about 30 min, completely inconsolable. Her activity from that day until now has always been vocal, LOL.

With my ds, he was active - probably more active than dd was, but in a different way. When he was born, he didn't cry at all. He didn't even cry for his circumcision. I kid you not. Consequently, he got pneumonia as a baby, supposedly from not crying out all that mucous. He was the most quiet, laid back baby I have ever, still to this day, met (why is he not this way now!?LOL).

THIS child? Oh. my. word. He is active as active can be. It seems as though he doesn't stop. He used to have a very definite pattern. Now it's just all the time. And it's not like he's "kicking" so much. It's more rolls or something that I don't know what because he makes my entire stomach move. Not just a certain spot, but the entire thing. I feel like sometimes I can feel him in my back too. It's odd.

Yes! #2 never stopped kicking, tumbling, and even got herself in a breech position one week before she was due. She turned herself around, though. We'd often see a little hand or foot sticking straight out - kind of freaky! And as a little one, she climbed the bookcases.She could pull a houdini on any highchair strap. She was WILD! And barely slept. But she was such a happy little thing (and still is - at 13!), I didn't mind. Sweetest kid on the planet.

I also have a theory about the labor. This one, #2, was born in under two hours, start to finish. She was easy to birth, and she's been easy ever since.

The other two were horrible, induced 48 hour+ labors, and let's just say not easy kids, as babies or now. #1 was way worse than #3, and that correlates, too.

So, if your active baby is like mine, this one will be an easy labor and a happy kid!

All of my boys were about the same, so I have no comparison. My sister's 3rd pregnancy, however... She thought something was actually wrong with her baby because it never stopped moving. That baby has been the quietest, non-active baby and child! She would sit on a blanket forever at the age of one, just taking toys quietly out of a bin and putting them back in.

I tend to worry a bit since my baby isn't that active, except when I go to bed :rolleyes: Go figure

But I'm sure everything is alright. I do feel movements during the day at different times and such.

I'm hoping the baby is mellow when he/she comes out :D

I would only feel them when I went to bed at night and maybe while I was sitting. I remember when I worked at an insurance office with my 1st that I could feel her moving while sitting at my desk. But the point is, I was quiet and could concentrate on it. Never did I feel either my 1st or 2nd when I was walking or standing.

This one, I can feel when I'm standing in the kitchen making meals or cleaning dishes. I can feel him when I am walking up the stairs. I can feel him when I sit, when I rise, when I lie down. The only thing so far that I've learned is that the elliptical machine puts him to sleep, LOL. I told my dh that we may have to be prepared for lots of movement to get him to go to sleep once he's born, because he'll probably be used to that jarring activity to rock him to sleep. Oy, what have I done in the name of staying fit? :D

I'm sure all is well with yours. :)

My super active in the womb baby was the most mellow once born. I actually had the doctor check him out - I was afraid something was wrong with him. The doctor laughed and told me to be thankful for an easy baby (he was my 3rd baby).

BUT when he was a toddler, he was a very cheerful destruct-o boy. The most curious, messiest, happiest little rabble rouser of all.

Now he's 13 yrs old and calm, sweet, with a quirky fun side.

Neither one of mine were particularly active, so I can't really help there. However, my mom told me I was very active in utero. So much so that she was convinced I was a boy! I was a climber and into everything, but once I was out of toddlerhood, I mellowed into a very calm, well-behaved child. :)

I haven't read the other responses yet, but this is the way it was for me- my very active Boy was a lot less active in utero than my quieter, less active Girl. She about killed me with her constant, and powerful moving- about a week before I had her, she kicked me so hard, she bruised and cracked a rib. I was so glad she came two weeks early!

My Boy is very very active, and was active inside, too, just not so much as the Girly was. Now I should go read what everyone else said.

She needed held all the time because she wanted to be on the edge of my knee looking out at everyone. She slept very little. After a year, when she could walk, she was a lot less work and very contented. She is now our book worm but she is very competative with herself and motivated. She was hard work but she was by no means hyper-active (as people said she would be during my pregnancy).

Our son was very quiet in the womb and he was a very calm baby. He loved to face inwards for a cuddle; completely different from my daughter who always wanted to be as free as possible looking outwards!. He is a very laid-back sort of chap still and still loves hugs.

Yes. She's 9 now. She has always been an independent, highly active sort. We told her she was bungee jumping inside me as it seemed like she was extremely active all the time. My DH would wake me up in the middle of the night to have me roll over because she was kicking him in the back! :eek: When she was born, not only was the umbilical cord in a knot, it was wrapped around her neck. Thankfully, all turned out well. :)