Menu

Best ear plugs to block snoring

I am a light sleeper. DH has started snoring in the last 6 months. At first it was every few nights and now it is pretty much every night. I started wearing ear plugs (along with using fans which we've always used). I am looking into buying better ones than the multi pack DH had in his work shop. So if you wear ear plugs, have you found ones that work better than most?

DH wears the foam kind that you can buy at Walmart. You twist them tightly before inserting them into your ear. Once in, they puff back out to their normal size so that they are fitting all the contours of the ear canal. Yes, I just admitted I snore. Egads! :blushing:

I use sparkplugs and I buy them in giant quantities.

But as my husband's snoring got louder and louder, even the earplugs stopped helping much. He finally had a sleep study done and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. The CPAP machine that he now uses not only keeps him healthier, it has revolutionized my ability to sleep.

I use sparkplugs and I buy them in giant quantities.

But as my husband's snoring got louder and louder, even the earplugs stopped helping much. He finally had a sleep study done and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. The CPAP machine that he now uses not only keeps him healthier, it has revolutionized my ability to sleep.

THIS was us too.

I had to try several kinds too. And I have a latex sensitivity so most weren't good for me.

• 5 months later...

:lurk5:

I've tried foam earplugs rated 33dB and they weren't anywhere near enough to block DH's snoring. He sleeps now sleeps on the couch most nights so we can all get sleep. His snoring wakes up DD2 repeatedly and keeps me from falling asleep. I have trouble falling asleep as is; he just adds an extra hour or two of wakefulness.

His sleep study was a complete waste of money, time, and effort.

:lurk5:

I've tried foam earplugs rated 33dB and they weren't anywhere near enough to block DH's snoring. He sleeps now sleeps on the couch most nights so we can all get sleep. His snoring wakes up DD2 repeatedly and keeps me from falling asleep. I have trouble falling asleep as is; he just adds an extra hour or two of wakefulness.

His sleep study was a complete waste of money, time, and effort.

I had to really put them in somewhat deep for them to work for me

I make my dh take claritin. That seems to help. My friend discovered that if her dh has even one alcoholic beverage from 5pm til bedtime he will snore like mad all night.

One thing that I found interesting, my dh is in very good shape. He is a runner and has a very athletic BMI. But, if he puts on even 5lbs his snoring gets much, much worse. Even with a couple extra pounds he is still a healthy weight, but it makes a difference. When he loses the weight (which is infuriatingly easy for him) it just about goes away.

The ear plugs all have "ratings" on the packages to show how well they work for noise reduction. Aside from that you just have to find some that are comfortable for you.

We use a cheap "air purifier" that we bought several years ago and now makes a loud grinding noise. :bigear:

My husband has been snoring for years extremely loudly. For a while it became a major issue (for me) for our marriage. I couldn't go the rest of my life without sleep could I? Plus I was really tired and grumpy while trying to deal with the problems. I found all the different earplugs to be quite uncomfortable. I also couldn't rest well with them in for fear that I wouldn't hear the children. I have a sleepwalker who roams our house on a regular basis. I agree with some of the comments regarding weight. As the weight goes up, so does the volume on the snoring. I can still hear my husband snoring even if I go downstairs to sleep on the couch.

The single thing that has helped the most is for me to go to sleep before he does. If I am asleep before my husband, then I have a shot at riding out the racket...

When all else fails, there are Sleepeze: http://www.earplugstore.com/sleepeze1pair.html

You really can't hear anything -- not even smoke alarms if you turn it up enough. It's probably not a great idea to exposure your hearing to so much sound, but it beats being driven insane by chronic lack of sleep.

Caveat: if you need these, the person you're sleeping with needs probably some sort of snoreguard or other fitted mouthpiece

The single thing that has helped the most is for me to go to sleep before he does. If I am asleep before my husband, then I have a shot at riding out the racket...

It takes me hours to fall asleep. I'm a night owl. It takes DH 2 minutes to fall asleep. He's a morning person.

I had to really put them in somewhat deep for them to work for me

My 'Spark Plugs' are very soft, so they roll up very tight between my fingers. I can then insert them so that the end sits flush with the entrance to my ear, so I use my nails to get them back out again. Damping them slightly also helps them to slide home. With them properly inserted (the product diagram shows them not sticking out at all, just as I use them) Husband's snoring is just a far distant noise, or more of a vibration.

Laura

My 'Spark Plugs' are very soft, so they roll up very tight between my fingers. I can then insert them so that the end sits flush with the entrance to my ear, so I use my nails to get them back out again. Damping them slightly also helps them to slide home. With them properly inserted (the product diagram shows them not sticking out at all, just as I use them) Husband's snoring is just a far distant noise, or more of a vibration.

Laura

Yeah I didn't use those, but my issue became that I have latex senisitivity and the non latex ones just didn't work the same.

thankfully dh got the cpap machine.

This has been my strategy except most nights he wakes me up around 3am with his snoring unless I wear ear plugs (or else it is routinely my light phase of my sleep cycle so I'd wake up anyway but can't fall back asleep because of the noise). I have found ear plugs that work well, but I was bad (ignorant) and didn't use new ones every night. Ended up with an ear infection over the weekend.:001_huh: So now I'm back on the couch until my ear is better and I can use ear plugs again (new ones every single night even though it seems so wasteful).

DH feels so bad about it, but I don't know what else to do. I can. not. fall asleep if he is snoring. It's loud but not consistent, so he'll stop for a few minutes, and then just as I'm drifting, he'll startle me awake again.