Menu

How do you use English from the Roots Up?

rcom

How many words/week do you do with EFTRU? I will be starting it this year with my 8.5 year old (3rd grade) and my 7 year old (2nd grade). I'm trying to figure out how much is reasonable and there are no guidelines in the book.

Thanks,

Renata

Here are some examples I found doing an internet search:

This link has downloads to a schedule, notebooking pages and tests:

http://www.cyncesplace.com/Journal/english-from-the-roots-up/

From: http://thecurriculumchoice.com/2010/01/english-from-the-roots-up/

We took the roots very slowly, discussing and learning each root one at a time. When I say slowly, I mean it has taken us four years to cover the box of one hundred Latin and Greek roots. Taking the slow approach has allowed my boys to learn and retain every root in the box.

From: http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/reviews.aspx?id=315

We create the cards on the 1st day day, use the dictionary to define vocab on the 2nd day, create sentences using the vocab words on the 3rd day, review the 4th day and test the 5th day. So far, my children are learning and having fun with it.

We just started this week, so far we've done 2 words. I'm thinking we'll average 2-3 per week. I only bought the flashcards and use journals to do written work in.

Here's a thread I started a while ago: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242366. On post #5 Nansk posted some links, we use the 2nd one. I used the worksheet as a model for what to write in their journals. We do everything but the picture parts.

Everyone is excited about doing this. (so far;))

I've got that SCORE feeling, when you find something that clicks with everyone.

Edited by helena

We used just the book (not the flashcard set), making it a sort of "brain warm up" game in the morning: we'd cover up the definition and list of words using that root, and try to come up with words that had that root in it. From that we would try to guess what the root meant (ex: "photo" -- we'd come up with telephoto, photograph, photon, etc. -- "Oh look, those words have to do with cameras or light; cameras need light; maybe it means light!") Then we'd read the definition, the list of words using that root, and the explanation about the root. If we came up with words not in the book's list, we'd look them up in the dictionary; if they did come from that root, we'd add them to the list!

We did 4 roots per week (2 on one day, 2 on another). That took about 25 weeks. We spent 2 years on each level of EftRU -- we'd go through the entire program in year 1, and then review and "cement" the roots in year 2.

Incidentally, the roots in volume 2 are harder than those in volume 1 -- a little less common, and the vocabulary words based on the roots are at a higher level or are more abstract kinds of words. While vol. 1 can be done with grades 3 an up, vol. 2 seemed more of a grade 5 and up program to me.

BEST of luck, however you use it! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Oh, I'm glad this post was revived. I really like the idea of the worksheets http://shelbyfamily.net/index_files/HS_Lang_Arts.htm

Although we loved the program, our problem was the amount of writing—it was too much, particularly for our 1st grader. So, Jill created “Roots Up” worksheets. With the worksheet, our girls only needed to write the word root and its definition. Then, they would draw a picture related to one of the derivative words.

I have to build my 3rd grader's handwriting fluency, so the less writing for now, the better.

The only thing is that the link to their worksheets didn't work. I couldn't find contact info on their site. Does anyone have the worksheets? Do they look a lot like the one here: http://createbetterwriters.com/uploads/Newsletter21RootWords.pdf

Thanks!

We did two words per week also.

Monday: New Word. I'd write the word on the board and the meaning. We'd talk about it briefly. I'd also write some English words that came from the root word we were studying. The kids copy the info on a flash card. Then . . . we use some of the words in sentences aloud to one another.

Tuesday: Same word as Monday. This is glossary day. We pull out our index card to review/learn the definition. Then we record the word in our homemade glossary (3-prong folder with 26 a-z pages in it). The kids record the word, the meaning and write a sentence with an English word that comes from the root.

Wednesday: Same as Monday, but new word.

Thursday: Same as Tuesday, but new word.

Friday: Review. After you have several words under your belt you'll be able to do flash card review games. For example, flash the card and have the kids race to say the meaning. The kid who gets it first, earns a point.

Great ideas here! Thank you! I do wish I could purchase a workbook to go with this program (similar, but better, than Red Hot Root Words).

I looked at a sample RHRW workbook here. I wonder if you could just match the roots of RHRW with EFTRU. Even if you don't have a sheet for everything, something is better than nothing.

If you go to the IEW yahoo group and become a member, you can go on their Lessonshare files and download a workbook study that Kathy Heiden has written up.

I believe that she is asking that anyone that downloads it can mail her15.00, but I'm not sure about that part is old or current...or if it's offerred for free. Either way, it is downloadable at IEW at the Lessonshare files. It's very well done and I'm planning on using it very soon.

HTH for anyone wanting a workbook style way to use the EFRU cards...with quizzes and tests...

Dee

If you go to the IEW yahoo group and become a member, you can go on their Lessonshare files and download a workbook study that Kathy Heiden has written up.

I believe that she is asking that anyone that downloads it can mail her15.00, but I'm not sure about that part is old or current...or if it's offerred for free. Either way, it is downloadable at IEW at the Lessonshare files. It's very well done and I'm planning on using it very soon.

HTH for anyone wanting a workbook style way to use the EFRU cards...with quizzes and tests...

Dee

Is the workbook study specifically for EFTRU? I wish I could see a sample too. I don't use IEW, so I'm not really wanting to join another yahoo group. Is there anyone from that group that could get me Kathy's contact information (via private message, of course)?

Her contact information is only a mailing address.

The workbooks are (she has one for each--EFRU 1 and EFRU 2) for 5th grade and up.They are very well organized and structured with ideas for games, crossword type puzzles, fill in the blanks, quizzes, and tests. It I intended for classroom use but can most definitely be adapted to individual use. The entire vocabulary list is to be used over 32 weeks. I thought that was a bit fast paced for us, so if we do use it, we will stretch it out over two years and then do the next book.

Dee

Edited by deeinfl
extra information