Menu

College wants GED from homeschoolers. Do I challenge that??

So my two oldest DDs are getting geared up for college applications, and I'm finding at least one, possibly 2-3, that state for homeschoolers they want an accredited diploma (like an umbrella school) or a GED. They do say that if your ACT is something like 21 or lower you may want to include writing samples, statement of why you are interested in the school, etc. These two teens have ACTs in the 30-32 range and have taken a few rigorous courses at the local high school (chemistry, physics, IB English, and this coming year two AP courses) with A's and B's.

It just seems so ridiculous to have to take the GED to "prove" this to them. Thoughts?

So my two oldest DDs are getting geared up for college applications, and I'm finding at least one, possibly 2-3, that state for homeschoolers they want an accredited diploma (like an umbrella school) or a GED. They do say that if your ACT is something like 21 or lower you may want to include writing samples, statement of why you are interested in the school, etc. These two teens have ACTs in the 30-32 range and have taken a few rigorous courses at the local high school (chemistry, physics, IB English, and this coming year two AP courses) with A's and B's.

It just seems so ridiculous to have to take the GED to "prove" this to them. Thoughts?

Are these state schools, private schools, or a mix?

All the state schools I contacted want a GED. None of the private schools have requested one. I chose to go with a private school because, I don't care what anyone else says, GED's have a stigma. I did NOT drop out. I will be earning my diploma just as much as a public high schooler. Also, the state schools I spoke with were quite rude to me about the whole GED situation. It took them quite awhile to even read me their policies on it. I eventually decided it wasn't worth the money or the hassle. Plus, private schools usually offer more money than public.

These are private schools. :(

Are they selective private schools? Are they small or large schools? I would call the admissions department and have a conversation with them. Describe your students and explain your reasons for not wanting to do the GED. Ask if you could write a letter requesting a waiver. It can't hurt.

I would call the admissions department and have a conversation with them. Describe your students and explain your reasons for not wanting to do the GED. Ask if you could write a letter requesting a waiver. It can't hurt.

Well now, that is a nice, reasoned reply. Seems kind of obvious when you say it. lol I think I am just so stressed about getting all this stuff done (x2) I'm just not thinking clearly. I will look into that.

Thank you for giving me a shot of logic. ;)

s.

Well now, that is a nice, reasoned reply. Seems kind of obvious when you say it. lol I think I am just so stressed about getting all this stuff done (x2) I'm just not thinking clearly. I will look into that.

Thank you for giving me a shot of logic. ;)

s.

I will be very curious to hear how it works out. Please keep us posted.

I think I'd fight it...most places have dropped the GED for homeschoolers. From highly selective colleges to military recruitment and academies.

I think a polite conversation with the admissions department is in order.

It seems a bit silly in light of your dc's test scores and coursework at the local high school.

Definitely go with that!!! You'll not only get yours through the process without a GED, but you'll be paving the way for others. It's obvious that with those ACT scores and the classes they're taking that they'd ace a GED test, but it would definitely not be in their best interests to take the test. It's a great test for those who need it, but not for a homeschool graduate.

I would think a letter to the president of the colleges might be a good place to go if you can't get anywhere with admissions. Please keep us updated!!!

The federal government has recognized homeschool diplomas for determining federal financial aid, no GED required. I know it isn't the same thing as admittance, but it could be an arguing point. Here is an article from HSLDA talking about it http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000001/00000147.asp

HTH,

Mary

ETA: Here's another interesting article http://www.thehomescholar.com/stigma-free-homeschool-graduation.php

Edited by Mary in VA

The federal government has recognized homeschool diplomas for determining federal financial aid, no GED required. I know it isn't the same thing as admittance, but it could be an arguing point.

Oooh...precedents! Well, maybe not exactly, but that will be great to reference. I'll be checking these articles out for sure. Thank you! And thanks to everyone for your encouragement and suggestions!

Stacey

Don't want to start a debate about the merits of HSLDA, but they deal with this issue often and have gotten colleges to back down. This year a friend's dd applied to Syracuse University and they gave her a hard time about her homeschool transcript. She also had lots of cc credits and SAT II scores, but they still wanted a GED. My friend got HSLDA involved and her dd ultimately got accepted WITH a generous scholarship offer. Sometimes the colleges just need to be educated and it's funny how having a lawyer call helps them listen :001_smile:

Mary

Honestly, for my family, any school that would require a GED would no longer be worthy of consideration. We'd drop those schools right off the list.

I admire you for being willing to fight the requirement though! :thumbup:

Don't want to start a debate about the merits of HSLDA, but they deal with this issue often and have gotten colleges to back down. This year a friend's dd applied to Syracuse University and they gave her a hard time about her homeschool transcript. She also had lots of cc credits and SAT II scores, but they still wanted a GED. My friend got HSLDA involved and her dd ultimately got accepted WITH a generous scholarship offer. Sometimes the colleges just need to be educated and it's funny how having a lawyer call helps them listen :001_smile:

Mary

:iagree::iagree::iagree: fight it!

You should challenge it! Many times when schools have policies like this, it is because they are uninformed about homeschooling. Speak to and/or write to the admissions director, citing links like the one mentioned, statistics, etc. My daughter encountered the same situation with a private university, and we "educated them" about homeschooling. Consequently, they changed their admissions policy. My daughter ended up choosing another school, but we probably made the difference for other homeschoolers.

The reason that we are able to legally homeschool our kids is because people challenged the system. I feel that it is our responsibility to continue that work.

Honestly, for my family, any school that would require a GED would no longer be worthy of consideration. We'd drop those schools right off the list.

I admire you for being willing to fight the requirement though! :thumbup:

This would be my response, especially for a school that even talked about kids with such lower ACT scores applying (lower compared to what my students had). I'd be concerned that my students would be underchallenged at the school academically and their education wouldn't be as thorough as it could be. In our local high school, a teacher can only teach to the level of their students. A high level student taking a lower level class tends to be bored - rightfully so.

We've never encountered a school that required a GED from homeschoolers in our search that has included both large and tiny, public and private. Hence, I'd drop any school still wanting them. There are so many others out there.

But if this school is the "right" one for your students and you do fight it, I'm sure you'll be paving the way for others in the future.

I'd love to know which school it is.

I would fight it, but I'm like that. :D

lol -- ya, that's my problem. Immediately I'm feeling all indignant and just thinking, "Bring it on!" :boxing_smiley:

Yes, challenge them. And publicize it widely, starting here.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: fight it!

Double, triple dittos! Fight!

Also, here's another article on the GED thing:

http://www.thehomescholar.com/stigma-free-homeschool-graduation.php

Probably should've mentioned that it's an art-based school -- performing arts, studio art, writing, computer graphic/design, animation... that kind of thing. I think that's why they have a why there is the provision for lower ACT scores; great academics will get you in, but if your academics are weaker your portfolio will factor in more for admissions.

Asking a student with an ACT above 30 to take a GED is insulting beyond words. Actually, I think asking any homeschooled student to take the GED is insulting. Homeschooled graduates already have "real" diploma, so they don't need a GED.

I would fight that one and see if you can get anywhere. If not, we'd go elsewhere.

Probably should've mentioned that it's an art-based school -- performing arts, studio art, writing, computer graphic/design, animation... that kind of thing. I think that's why they have a why there is the provision for lower ACT scores; great academics will get you in, but if your academics are weaker your portfolio will factor in more for admissions.

That makes sense. Many schools will do similarly for art, music, and similar "non-academic" majors for obvious reasons. ;)

Update us when you find out how it goes. I seem to recall cosmetology being a field that sometimes requires a GED, but that's all I know of to this point.

I'll give a different pov...or opinion.

My oldest ds wanted to get a job with the local law enforcement. They would only consider a diploma from an accredited high school, or a GED. They'd had some issues with homeschoolers in the past and were now requiring at least a GED. My ds went and got his GED and passed with flying colors. It was just a formality for that particular job, but now he has his GED in case this comes up again...which I doubt it would. Could we have fought them? Sure, but like I said, it was just a formality...a jumping through hoops. He never has to show his GED to anyone else. No one need know he even has one. His other employers were fine with his high school diploma, as was our local college.

Now, I can understand that there may be a stigma upon entering a 4 yr university with a GED, but on a whole, I don't see getting one as a big deal. It is our back up for the ignorant who think that somehow homeschool is lacking, whereas a GED proves all. :tongue_smilie: As a side note...

What I found particularly funny about my ds's GED scores were his science scores. They were off the chart!! According to the GED he is a science brainiac! :lol: This is a child who was not good at science at all, and only took Physical and Biology in high school...and did the bare minimum in those. :001_huh:

Anyhow, someday they (whoever they are) will understand that a homeschool diploma is far and away better than a GED, but I personally don't see that taking the GED...on a whole...is going to put a stigma of stupidity on your student. It can be a nice back-up for the highly ignorant in academia. Something like, "Ok, BOZOS, here is my sons transcript, his portfolio, his SAT scores, AP scores, and because you're so IGNORANT to how excellent a home school education actually is, here are the GED scores you want to see so badly. Now you have zero excuses. Admit him."

I don't know. Perhaps it's just me. ;)

I don't remember the particulars, but I know that because my daughter was under 18 at the time that the school wanted a GED for admissions, she would have been required to attend classes before taking the test. This, of course, would have been in a class of students who may have been drop-outs! And, as I recall, it would have cost something like $75. There was just no way we were going to just go along with it.

I would fight it, I am earning my degree just like any other high schooler out there, just because I am at home doesn't mean I can't have the same treatment. I did not drop out of high school, I am just getting my education at home.

Every school I have looked at does not require a GED, so I will not be taking it and I won't take it.:)

I'll give a different pov...or opinion.

My oldest ds wanted to get a job with the local law enforcement. They would only consider a diploma from an accredited high school, or a GED. They'd had some issues with homeschoolers in the past and were now requiring at least a GED. My ds went and got his GED and passed with flying colors. It was just a formality for that particular job, but now he has his GED in case this comes up again...which I doubt it would. Could we have fought them? Sure, but like I said, it was just a formality...a jumping through hoops. He never has to show his GED to anyone else. No one need know he even has one. His other employers were fine with his high school diploma, as was our local college.

Now, I can understand that there may be a stigma upon entering a 4 yr university with a GED, but on a whole, I don't see getting one as a big deal. It is our back up for the ignorant who think that somehow homeschool is lacking, whereas a GED proves all. :tongue_smilie: As a side note...

What I found particularly funny about my ds's GED scores were his science scores. They were off the chart!! According to the GED he is a science brainiac! :lol: This is a child who was not good at science at all, and only took Physical and Biology in high school...and did the bare minimum in those. :001_huh:

Anyhow, someday they (whoever they are) will understand that a homeschool diploma is far and away better than a GED, but I personally don't see that taking the GED...on a whole...is going to put a stigma of stupidity on your student. It can be a nice back-up for the highly ignorant in academia. Something like, "Ok, BOZOS, here is my sons transcript, his portfolio, his SAT scores, AP scores, and because you're so IGNORANT to how excellent a home school education actually is, here are the GED scores you want to see so badly. Now you have zero excuses. Admit him."

I don't know. Perhaps it's just me. ;)

I think one concern with the GED is if you have a child who wants to enter the military. They are specifically asked IF they have a GED on the application. So in that case you couldn't just not mention it. There are financial and job opportunity consequences (not good) to having a GED when enlisting. I don't have any personal knowledge, just what I've read here. Maybe some moms with firsthand knowlege could elaborate.

Mary