Menu

Does anyone know anything about...

LuvingLife

University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS)? I am very interested in going to college out West , (my parents are interested in someday moving out West) and I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with this college or heard anything about this college. I have heard good things about their nursing programs but I would like to confirm the things that I have heard just to be sure.

This isn't my only choice for college, but I would like to know because I love Colorado and they seem to have a lot of good colleges out there.

3 of my dd's friends are starting at uccs this year (non nursing) , two are current students and one mom I know received her bsn 8 years ago. She said she was satisfied with the program, but had nothing to compare it to, which wasnt as helpful as I thought it might be :P

From what I know, the campus is small, yet still a University of Colorado campus, meaning there are plenty of resources, but the overall cost is lower than the Boulder or Denver campuses. The dorm rooms are mostly suites and the atmosphere is not too partyish. I think most people live off campus by their junior year and the surrounding area is nice (imho, of course).

In terms of the nursing program, I have heard there is not a huge waitlist like some other schools and it is not nearly as difficult to get in to as the Denver campus. The biggest perk is that you can take classes at the other campuses without formal application (and the grades still count). Now that I said that, I have no idea if that holds true for the nursing courses... Also, they are pretty darn generous with transfer credits, so if you decide to take the first-year classes at another school, they will probably transfer in just fine.

I can't think of anything else, hth!

3 of my dd's friends are starting at uccs this year (non nursing) , two are current students and one mom I know received her bsn 8 years ago. She said she was satisfied with the program, but had nothing to compare it to, which wasnt as helpful as I thought it might be :P

From what I know, the campus is small, yet still a University of Colorado campus, meaning there are plenty of resources, but the overall cost is lower than the Boulder or Denver campuses. The dorm rooms are mostly suites and the atmosphere is not too partyish. I think most people live off campus by their junior year and the surrounding area is nice (imho, of course).

In terms of the nursing program, I have heard there is not a huge waitlist like some other schools and it is not nearly as difficult to get in to as the Denver campus. The biggest perk is that you can take classes at the other campuses without formal application (and the grades still count). Now that I said that, I have no idea if that holds true for the nursing courses... Also, they are pretty darn generous with transfer credits, so if you decide to take the first-year classes at another school, they will probably transfer in just fine.

I can't think of anything else, hth!

This was one of the many reasons why I was considering UCCS because the school isn't a party school (not too much anyways), the nursing program doesn't have a huge waiting list, and it isn't as expensive as Boulder or Denver! I had no clue they transfered credits so easily either, so I will keep this in mind if I want to take a few credits elsewhere first. I am also in love with the area it is in, it's nice and looks really peaceful lol.

Thank you so much for your help!

My dd's best friend just moved into the dorms there, today! It's definitely easier to get accepted than CU Boulder or CU Denver. You would probably not want to apply until you are a resident as CU's out of state tuition is quite high. Two other nursing schools to look at are University of Northern CO and CO Mesa. Though, neither Greeley nor Grand Junction is as pretty as the Springs!

No way that is so neat!! And although the tuition is quite high, I am hoping that if we move out there (soon I hope!!) that I will move to a state that they will accpet into their WUE program, which cuts down on the costs!! The other schools are really nice too, but like you said, I love Colorado Springs, it is just beautiful there!:)

Well, you'd still have to have residence in the state you want to do WUE out of. So, if you moved to MT for instance, you'd have to prove up residence in MT before WUE. And WUE is still 150% of resident tuition, so not cheap.

You are right, but it still cuts down the cost a little bit lol.:D I will just have to find a way to cut down on the costs!