Menu

Don't girls older than 7 wear dresses anymore?

I'm having a really hard time finding pretty dresses for my almost 7 dd to wear to church. The choices are either dresses inappropriate for her age or flowergirl dresses. I did a search for modest dresses but they look really frumpy. I really need suggestions on where to look.

Sumee

:mad:I had to learn to sew to combat this problem. I. Hate. Sewing.

But we can often make "t-shirt dresses" for everyday wear, and they work well for us. You can make them for warm or cold weather depending on what shirt you use. We've used t-shirts, collared shirts, blouses, nice sweatshirts, long-sleeved t-shirts, etc. You basically cut off the shirt a little above the waist and sew on a gathered skirt.

Since a bodice is most of the work on a dress, you save time. Also, you usually don't need to fool with buttons, zipper, etc.

The gathered skirt is of a coordinating fabric, light or heavy, patterned or plain, depending on your needs/taste. It's easy--and remember, I really hate to sew, so I mean it.

For nicer dresses, we watch the thrift shops. But that's getting tougher . . . :(

Hope this helps.

Thanks all. I hadn't noticed this problem before because dd is petite and there are lots of pretty dresses up to size 6. In the last few months she went through a major growth spurt and all her skirts and dresses are above her knees. She asked for new dresses when my brother asked her what she wanted for her birthday. So I get to shop with someone else' money:). Dd and I went to Marshall's, Target, Gap, and OldNavy on the weekend and it was very disappointing. I hate mall shopping so I'm trying to avoid that if at all possible. I'm going to search the sites mentioned.

Sumee

I have tried to find my 11yodd dresses for winter, but had almost no luck. I just couldn't find anything that didn't have spaghetti straps and wasn't made from clingy chiffon fabric. Yuk, and Brrrr! All I was able to find was a red velvet dress from Lands End. Then, I sat down and made a dress for her. I think it's the first dress I've ever made for her, poor thing. She feels very special in her sparkly velvet, long sleeve top (with a tied shrug), and her silk-like polyester twirly skirt. And, Mom's pleased. :o)

The pattern was McCall's, #5038. I lengthened the sleeves, and changed the skirt slightly to suit my dd, but it was super easy. You can see it here:

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5038.htm?search=5038&page=1

Check LL Bean and Lands End for some simple dresses. I have the best luck at quality consignment shops. They tend to have very nice quality dresses reasonably priced.

Yep, we love these. Both girls could live in them. I watch eBay for them and buy them in lots for $13-$14 per dress. I stock up in future sizes too!

Apparently, from the stores' selection, they only wear dresses that I as a grown woman would be ashamed to wear. ;) One trick a friend taught me is to but a pretty white sweater and then they can wear some of the sleevelss and spaghetti strap dresses, but they are covered up. We hit the racks (at Kohls especially) before Christmas, as that is the only time we can find pretty dresses.

Old Navy clearance I've surprisingly found some simple and modest dresses. I wouldn't have expected to but I have, quite often. Mostly for under $10. Find the clearance section and roll up your sleeves and dig. Fortunately a lot of the modest stuff is there because unfortunately no one else wants it. lol

My daughter lived in these for about three years. We made them for every season and occasion, from summer-time outdoor play to dress-up for the holidays. She was never big into girly stuff, but for a while, she simply hated wearing pants or anything tight around her waist. So, it was all dresses, all the time. To keep her warm, we start with long-sleeved, heavy shirts and use flannel for the skirts, then add a pair of matching tights. By making them ourselves, we could do skirts long enough to keep her decent while running around to play. Also, she got to really enjoy playing designer by picking out the shirts and fabrics.

They really are very easy to make, requiring nothing more complicated than a straight and zig-zag stitch. And, if you buy the shirts on sale and stick to the bargain fabrics, they end up costing no more than $7-10 each.

--Jenny

I have to second another poster's advice to shop your local stores. I think these are great resources for church dresses. Having said that, though, my dd really didn't want to do dresses past 7 or 8. I think you should consider switching to a ruffly skirt and shirt or sweater. These are just as dressy as a dress and more "big girl". Not to mention you'll have a better selection.

margaret in ga

I am making most of my dd's. The classic jumper is pretty easy to make, and you can ALMOST always find turtlenecks for them to wear. If I find some decent ones at the consignment stores, I snatch them up. But I'm not even finding decent ones there, anymore!!