Menu

Perdue vacuum sealed chicken thighs - why the awful smell?

We just opened a package of chicken thighs that smell like rotten eggs. The smell is overwhelming. The sell-by date is still good. I'm just wondering if this is a smell that is associated with being vacuum packed or does it mean they're all rotten. Ugh!

Rotten. Toss.

Can I just say that while sitting here nursing a sore tummy (I ate too many cherries) I scanned this thread title and *thought* it said "Prude vacuum sealed chicken thighs - why the awful smell?" and I was all :eek: :eek:. I had to read it not once more, but *twice* more to read it accurately. :D

I'm going to get up and move around now because it seems that I'm dangerous here on the boards with this tummy ache. :auto:

It did not take my appetite away, neither did it exactly smell off. It just smelled sort of bad. But, not like rotten eggs bad.

I asked because I've had this happen before with a Perdue oven stuffer roaster. I called the store to complain and they said it was normal for vacuum packed chicken to smell that way. I couldn't eat it though - threw it away. I wonder if I just have a low tolerance for smelly chicken.:D

Can I just say that while sitting here nursing a sore tummy (I ate too many cherries) I scanned this thread title and *thought* it said "Prude vacuum sealed chicken thighs - why the awful smell?" and I was all :eek: :eek:. I had to read it not once more, but *twice* more to read it accurately. :D

I'm going to get up and move around now because it seems that I'm dangerous here on the boards with this tummy ache. :auto:

:lol::lol:

I asked because I've had this happen before with a Perdue oven stuffer roaster. I called the store to complain and they said it was normal for vacuum packed chicken to smell that way. I couldn't eat it though - threw it away. I wonder if I just have a low tolerance for smelly chicken.:D

:lol::lol:

Ugh, not normal. I once took back a package the evening after I bought the chicken earlier that afternoon. The smell was awful! Rotten eggs, just like you said. The store (Walmart) apologized and refunded my money without question.