Menu

Harvard Classics / Five Foot Shelf ?

Bang!Zoom!

No, but I'm staring at a complete set. I sure wish I had the time to do a bit of reading. Right next to it is my Gateway to the Great Books set and my Great Books of the Western World set.

HC and GB are both available on the Kindle. One is for 0.99 a book while the other is 2.99 a book.

Jim

Dover Books has most or all of the Great Books, but I've been hoping for a set, that includes a syntopicon and a reading guide.

Back when I lived in the suburbs, our local libraries all had sets, that I could borrow. I live a few minutes away from one of the largest libraries in the country, and they seem to have lost our set, and have not replaced it :-0 So many of the books I want are "lost". Bigger isn't always better! :-(

I think the syntopicon is still under copyright, even though the books themselves are not. I'll bet the missing volumes from the Kindle sets are all books that are still under copyright and that these kindle sets are not truly the Harvard and Brittanica sets.

At least they "lost" it. Our local library SOLD their set for $20. I guess they figured who would ever want to read these old books.

A friend of mine has them on his shelf and they sure look nice. I went out to Ebay and found a set of each. I picked up a library version of HC for around $60. The GB sets was about double that after shipping.

If you go this route watch the prices carefully as they are all over the place.

My set is missing books 25 and 26, but it has the study guides and the lectures. Reading through the set is on my to-do list, and I really ought to get working on it. I do have quite a few repeats between that set and a set of classics I inherited from my grandparents. I also remember being slightly disappointed at finding that a few works that weren't included that I had hoped for, but I'm not sure now what those were.