Menu

Where can I find 3-ring binders that actually hold up?

Have you tried an office store, like Office Depot? You definitely don't want the ones they truck in to Walmart by the thousands for back-to-school.

Good ones cost more but also last much longer.

Don't buy the ones that say anything like "value" or "basic." Look for words like "heavy duty" and "premium."

As far as the rings go, "no gap" means they meet tightly with, well, no gap! You can't just assume those rings are going to close, apparently. "Locking" is also important; you have to flip the tabs at the end to open them instead of just pulling them apart, so they are much more secure and won't open when you don't want them to.

I like the "D ring" style, where the rings are in the shape of a capital D, rather than perfectly rounded. The pages sit much better.

I haven't found brand to be as important as looking for those key words.

I usually buy the Heavy Duty binders by Avery, which you have to get at the office supply store, and they're great. This year I plunked out for some of the Staples Better Binders, which are super-duper nice. They're buy 2 get 1 free this week.

I'm also really keen on the Spine Guard composition books Staples carries. They're on sale this week too, at least forthe 1 subject. They have poly covers, fabric to keep the coils from snagging, flags, pocketed/moveable dividers, and planner pages built in.

We're fans of Staples Better Binders. They are well made, and are easy for my daughter with low fine motor skills.

:iagree:These are our favorites also.

We use one binder for all subjects for the entire year. These binders have actually lasted me 3 years now. The rings are just now starting to not come together right.

I bought an Avery Comfort Touch 1" Binder for my personal lesson plan binder last year. It was pricy because I was desperate and didn't wait for sales or compare prices! Amazon has them for $4.99 in white (a little more for colors). It's held up beautifully to my constant daily use for four months. My previous problem was that the covers would tear at the spine, and this one is still in perfect shape.

It has a black rubber spine and a clear panel on the front so that you can slide a page of your choice into the cover, and it comes in pretty colors. (Yes, I'm shallow like that. I find that if it looks pretty, I'll actually want to do the work...) It has slightly D-shaped rings that lock very tightly and smoothly, and I haven't had a problem with pages getting stuck and tearing. The rings are mounted on the back cover, and I think that helps to save the spine as well.

I place a sturdy page of heavy cardstock at the beginning and end of the binder pages to help minimize wear and tear on the pages, too. That way the first and last pages are sturdier and can be replaced if necessary.

Good luck!

--Pamela

I am so tired of 3-ring binders that don't hold up. Either the rings don't meet in the middle or they come open when dropped or the covers come off. Am I the only one with this problem? Where do you buy your 3-ring binders?

STAPLES!!

http://www.staples.com/3-Staples-Better-View-Binder-with-D-Rings-Red/product_807717

These are THE best binders ever---the only ones I will spend money on again ;)