Menu

4th Grade Handwriting - Curriculum? Cursive for everything? Typing?

Literary Mom

We use manuscript but for cursive practice (which my son requested because he prefers cursive over manuscript) I'm going to get this book for practice for him. Maybe he'll decide to switch from manuscript to cursive after doing some review/practice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0439316634/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

There may be better review books out there but this one looks ok.

We are going to work up to completing everything in cursive. Right now, it would be torture and we may not make it to everything. I am okay with that as long as he knows it and can reasonably do it (right now he really can't so we need to practice a lot more). I think I iwll have him do spelling in cursive first and add more as the year goes on. Typing we are still on the free bbc one.....adn I need to schedule it in and havent yet so not sure when it will get done *sigh*.

:bigear: others:lurk5:

ETA: We use this for copywork http://www.handwritingworksheets.com/flash/cursive/index.htm

Edited by kwg

This is helpful input. I had been transitioning this past year to do everything in cursive - the hardest part was the SOTW narrations but she succeeded with that, although initially her complaint was that she couldn't read what she wrote - her cursive is neat, but she just wasn't used to reading anything in cursive :D

I guess I was just starting to get the impression from the outside world (LOL) that cursive was becoming outmoded, so I wasn't sure if I should just use it for certain subjects or times, and focus more on getting her typing. She started using Mavis Beacon, I think, online at my mom's. I will check out the other one as well.

Also, I wasn't sure whether to keep going with the formal practice or just consider it enough if she's using it in all subjects.

Edited by Elle M.
typo, forgot something

I'm clinging to this, Ellie! Right now Rebecca is NOT a fan of handwriting. I think it's her least favorite subject!

:iagree: ANd as it stands when I insist on more that just handwriting done in cursive there are tears. Lots of 'em. So I admire those that can do narrations in cursive as I am thinking ds would have a heart attack at the mere suggestion.

We are studying US History this year so I got this really great book of famous quotes from important people throughout our history. It is written in manuscript and he has to copy it with cursive. He's working on the Mayflower Compact right now. It usually takes him a week to complete the entire quote, as it is MANY lines. That is pretty much all i require him to do in cursive. I want him to know cursive, be able to read cursive, but to be a speedster with it?? NAH, don't really care that much. I NEVER use my cursive handwriting.