Menu

Please help; dumb question about laminating

when you laminiate you have to remember that the plastic needs to have room to melt together with the other side of the plastic. Unlike contact paper, the plastic won't adhere to the the paper very well, so if the plastic hasn't melted together with the other side, it will most likely come apart at somepoint. This is why you can't laminate a whole sheet of paper and then cut the pieces out...you have to cut the items out twice...once before lamination and once after. Did that help??

The above has not been my experience. The plastic adheres to the paper. You can cut them out and they will be fine. I do it all the time.

You'll just have to try it and find out I guess.

really...I wonder if my machine isn't hot enough then...why would mine peel if I cut too close...if I could figure that out, I would be grateful.

I noticed there's an air bubble space right along the edge. If I cut through it, then yes, it would peel. If I cut through the actual paper, it doesn't peel. Obviously the paper is exposed and if it got wet it would ruin, but I don't usually get my flashcards wet and they haven't ever peeled.

Maybe someone else will chime in with their experience.

Laminators vary. Some will be hot enough that it adheres to the paper, some will not. I have a small laminator that I cannot cut things apart - the sheets only adhere to themselves. I borrowed my mothers larger laminator, and I can cut things apart with that one. Try snipping a little corner. If it's going to come apart, it will usually do it right away.