Menu

A filing thread: How I file...

Mama2Many4

I thought I would share how I file in case someone could get some ideas about how to go about doing it. I love seeing how other homeschoolers do theirs for their homes, so figured I would share.

I start by making my kids some pretty personalized 1" binders in their favorite colors.

DSCN0450.jpg

Next I'll show you how I pack those binders each day. I bought these pocket sheet books at Walmart. They come with a comb binding and a flexible cover, but I 3 hole punch them to put in a sturdy binder. It lasts longer that way. I then put decorative labels inside the pocket fronts and tape it shut. That way I know what subject I'm filling and where.

DSCN0451.jpg

DSCN0452.jpg

DSCN0454.jpg

Their binders are kept in their baskets with all of their readers, science binder, history binder, etc.

DSCN0455.jpg

This is my file crate where I file all of the worksheets and different things for the year. To see a detailed list of things to file, check out the file thread. :) Ignore the numbers, I've yet to change them. They should read weeks 1-36. I have 3 folders in each, one per child.

DSCN0457.jpg

I take out the folders for whatever week we're working on and I keep those on my desk for the week. After filling the binders with the work, at the end of the week everything that's been graded goes back into the file folders and filed back into that week.

DSCN0459.jpg

I hope this can help someone visualize some more!

Are you filling their binders every night with the next day's work? Or does the binder contain more than one day's work at a time? Kind of like a workbox system but in a binder. Something like this might work for us, but I'd hate to constantly be filling the binder each day.

Instead of having my worksheets/printables organised by week I have them organised by subject. That way if we get behind or ahead I haven't messed up my entire filing system in one fell swoop. Which would soooo happen to me. :tongue_smilie:When we get to that subject I just pull out whatever's next, working from a list I have of what needs completed that week. My list is revised every week according to what we completed the prior week.

Thinking out loud...putting a week's worth of lessons in the binder might work for us, he'd see just how much he has to do and can work ahead if he chooses.

Do you let them work in any order they choose or are they required to go through the binder in order?

Great idea! I am now pondering...

Thinking out loud...putting a week's worth of lessons in the binder might work for us, he'd see just how much he has to do and can work ahead if he chooses.

This is what my ds has asked for me to do, so that he can work ahead. I'm intrigued, because in the last few years, he's not been known for working...um, diligently. I can hope!

OP, I'm grateful for your pictures - they've really helped me to visualize this sort of nebulous concept called organization and preparation. :D

Are you filling their binders every night with the next day's work? Or does the binder contain more than one day's work at a time? Kind of like a workbox system but in a binder. Something like this might work for us, but I'd hate to constantly be filling the binder each day.

Instead of having my worksheets/printables organised by week I have them organised by subject. That way if we get behind or ahead I haven't messed up my entire filing system in one fell swoop. Which would soooo happen to me. :tongue_smilie:When we get to that subject I just pull out whatever's next, working from a list I have of what needs completed that week. My list is revised every week according to what we completed the prior week.

Do you let them work in any order they choose or are they required to go through the binder in order?

Great idea! I am now pondering...

I do fill the whole weeks worth of work at once. I put the papers behind a divider like this, DSCN0462.jpg

I put the rest of the weeks work behind that divider and pull it to the front the night before. Then my kids don't get confused by all the papers meant for other days.

They have to go through the binder in order because I have it paced with the subjects that we do together first in the binder, and then subjects I have to work with them individually with.

Wow, tfs! This is wonderful! I am starting my first year of K, and I am actually going to be organizing our things this weekend, so this is an awesome thread to have! Def bookmarking this!

BTW, do you print and organize 36 weeks at a time or the whole year? Thanks!

I print and organize the whole year at once. I can always add to the folders if I find things as I go that I'd like to incorporate. :001_smile:

Awesome! We did workboxes for K last year and loved it. But this year I added the filebox to my system and I can't believe how much simpler it's been already. We're working on a lot of things I know that I would've put off otherwise, just because it's already in the folder and ready to go! I think the binder idea will work for us too once they get a little bit older and are working more independently. Thanks for sharing!

I like the binder idea. Putting all the worksheets for the week in it with a sheet to see mom for anything that is still in a book (HWT for us).

I may have to try this.

Although I also have my crate by subject instead of weeks because it was constantly having to be rearranged.

Do your kids "hand in" the papers once they've been completed? Or do they leave them in the binders for you to collect.

I haven't figured how I want that to work yet...

The have a basket on a shelf under their desk that they put their finished work in. You can actually see one of the red baskets in the first picture I posted. I collect it when I'm ready and grade it. I have them make any corrections and then file it back into that weeks file folder.

Love this thread! Love your system! It is just like what I did last year and the more I look at it, the more it makes me want to tear up my workbooks again this year! I wanted to avoid going through all that, but it did keep me on task. I just used a binder with dividers to put their work for the week and it kept the kids so organized.

I am going to take a trip to Walmart and make a binder like you have. That looks amazing! Do you have an actual link to the pocket sheets you used? I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Looks like I better start on my workbook tearing if we are going to start on the 22nd ! :D

Love this thread! Love your system! It is just like what I did last year and the more I look at it, the more it makes me want to tear up my workbooks again this year! I wanted to avoid going through all that, but it did keep me on task. I just used a binder with dividers to put their work for the week and it kept the kids so organized.

I am going to take a trip to Walmart and make a binder like you have. That looks amazing! Do you have an actual link to the pocket sheets you used? I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Looks like I better start on my workbook tearing if we are going to start on the 22nd ! :D

There is no brand written on the folders. I checked. I've been pouring through the pages online looking for what they could be. I just can't find anything without even knowing who makes them. I'm going to Walmart tomorrow myself to pick up a few more. I add poly folders when I think up new activities. If I get mine before you get yours I'll let you know. Otherwise just try to study the picture and see if you can find them.

Just wanted to thank you for the photos - I'm very visual and I never quite "got" how filing was done before. It looks like you've really got it organized! I'm both awed and a little jealous. :)

Thanks for the pictures. I love to see how others organize and pick up little tricks along the way. I've done most of my filing for the year. I've set up subject notebooks to put finished work in, but I'm yet to get student planners worked out. This helped a lot.

Great job, BTW!:D

Thanks! I'm glad I could help others visualize.

There is no brand written on the folders. I checked. I've been pouring through the pages online looking for what they could be. I just can't find anything without even knowing who makes them. I'm going to Walmart tomorrow myself to pick up a few more. I add poly folders when I think up new activities. If I get mine before you get yours I'll let you know. Otherwise just try to study the picture and see if you can find them.

I went last night and found them. They were with the portfolio binders. I love them for more uses other than homeschool filing. Thank you. Gonna start my filing this weekend.

I went last night and found them. They were with the portfolio binders. I love them for more uses other than homeschool filing. Thank you. Gonna start my filing this weekend.

Great! You didn't happen to see the brand on the sticker did you? I'd like to see if I can find them online to buy some in bulk. ;)

Great! You didn't happen to see the brand on the sticker did you? I'd like to see if I can find them online to buy some in bulk. ;)

I will check as soon as I get home. I never thought to check online for them. I thought $4.44 each was kind of expensive. Did you get away with one per child since they are front and back?

I will check as soon as I get home. I never thought to check online for them. I thought $4.44 each was kind of expensive. Did you get away with one per child since they are front and back?

Yeah, that's about what I paid. I think I'm using 5 or 6 folders per child to cover all the subjects that they do. Front and back it's like 10 or 12 pockets I have set up. I can't remember.

I do fill the whole weeks worth of work at once. I put the papers behind a divider like this, DSCN0462.jpg

I put the rest of the weeks work behind that divider and pull it to the front the night before. Then my kids don't get confused by all the papers meant for other days.

They have to go through the binder in order because I have it paced with the subjects that we do together first in the binder, and then subjects I have to work with them individually with.

Thanks for this, it really helped me understand better what I'm looking at. Haven't seen any of those folders in Australia, I'll have to take a look around! I suppose you could use divider pages that have pockets on them, they just wouldn't be clear.

Yeah, that's about what I paid. I think I'm using 5 or 6 folders per child to cover all the subjects that they do. Front and back it's like 10 or 12 pockets I have set up. I can't remember.

There isn't a brand. The just say "organizer". Then on the bottom of the tag it says "Distributed by Walmart". So I'm going to assume Walmart is the only place you can purchase them.

There isn't a brand. The just say "organizer". Then on the bottom of the tag it says "Distributed by Walmart". So I'm going to assume Walmart is the only place you can purchase them.

Thanks for checking. I'll have to take a trip to the Super Walmart, the local one didn't have any left. So much for buying them in bulk. :tongue_smilie:

I have a similar product like this one, and I use it a little differently. I file by the day. I love the small envelope pockets to hold laminated task cards. One great thing is that it closes well and can be carried with us easily if we need to get some schoolwork done somewhere away from home.

He will move finished work to the back "Finished" pocket. I will check it and move anything to go over into the "To Discuss" pocket.

Amy,

That is a really great idea too! How would you handle reading a certain book for history, especially a read-a-loud? We have an awful lot of reading to do this year, some independently and some with all of us.

There are some organized moms on this board, I am so glad they are so willing to share!

I have a similar product like this one, and I use it a little differently. I file by the day. I love the small envelope pockets to hold laminated task cards. One great thing is that it closes well and can be carried with us easily if we need to get some schoolwork done somewhere away from home.

He will move finished work to the back "Finished" pocket. I will check it and move anything to go over into the "To Discuss" pocket.

Gotta say, I love how you have everything in one pocket for that day.

Great idea. Thanks for the tip on the plastic pocket sheets. They look the same as what I have so I can order some to keep on deck.

Amy,

That is a really great idea too! How would you handle reading a certain book for history, especially a read-a-loud? We have an awful lot of reading to do this year, some independently and some with all of us.

There are some organized moms on this board, I am so glad they are so willing to share!

I use the laminated task cards to help me with things that can't go in the pockets or just as reminders to him that it is part of the day. For example, he's doing spelling on Big IQ kids site, so I made a card to remind him to do it. He'll do history and science with me, so I made a card to do Ancient history or earth science. He'll have to come to me for that assignment, so I'm keeping those things on my own shelves and planned out in my own folder for the week. It's just a regular manilla folder with notes of what to do for the week, nothing fancy.

You could make a laminated card for "Independent Reading" with a blank across the bottom. You could write the title in a dry erase marker or something that could be erased. If you want him to choose a book, just write choose book on it. Would that work?

Gotta say, I love how you have everything in one pocket for that day.

My son is not the school-lover, so I figure it will help him know that when the pocket and envelope on the front are empty, then he's done for the day. I'm hoping it will keep him focused on the goal!

Also, I like planning out my week all at once. This way I'm not filing every subject each day, just filing back what I need to discuss with him.

Edited by mom31257

I found this from the Yahoo Workbox Group, thanks for sharing over there.

Love this thread! I like the idea of putting the Walmart portfolio folders in a binder. I used them last year, but my one son practically destroyed his, it kept coming apart. I think the binder would be more secure. Thanks for sharing everyone!

• 5 months later...

I did something similar in the past but set the binder up daily. I used pocket divider tabs.

My kids liked it because they knew when the binder was empty they were done for the day. For things like math which they do on the computer I just used a wet erase marker and wrote on a laminated sheet I put in the divider. When the kids were done they would place their work back in the pocket and then I would correct it at the end of the day and reload. I did it daily so I always knew what they needed extra help or practice on and didn't end up with a stack of papers bigger than I am tall to correct.

DS10 and 3-ring binders are like Charlie Brown and kites. I really want the combination to work, but even with the highest quality binders, pages just mysteriously explode across the kitchen as soon as he touches a binder, EVEN WTH THE RINGS LOCKED CLOSED.

We need to look into file folders or a different solution for him.

Thanks for checking. I'll have to take a trip to the Super Walmart, the local one didn't have any left. So much for buying them in bulk. :tongue_smilie:

I bet you could order them in bulk from Wal-mart website. But I have to say that I like the look of those Avery pockets too.

All of our work is in a workbook. I have no reason to use these systems. But I might use a modified version for some games or something. I have a magazine file with simple folders.

I read through this just now. I love all the different ways to get organized! I'm trying to decide between a binder for the week, a binder for the term/quarter (9 weeks ... with dividers per week) or a binder for all subjects that have workbook pages (handwriting, math mammoth, singapore math, phonics, geography...) and dividing them by subject (and then maybe creating a folder for weekly use??? The big binder would hold all pencils, rulers, tape, erasers, extra paper...

• 2 months later...

I have never seen this type of folder at the store. They sell these at Wal-Mart?