Menu

Could someone please review Hake grammar for me?

My oldest did Hake 8th grade grammar over all of 8th grade and about half of 9th grade. The lessons are pretty long, so I had her do just 2 lessons each week. I think there were 110 lessons, so that meant 55 weeks to complete the program.

I didn't even look at their writing, because we're happy with IEW.

My middle dd isn't going to use Hake. She's an Aspie and it would drive her absolutely insane. She's also stronger in grammar than my oldest was at the same age.

I am hanging on to Hake for my youngest. I don't know if it will work for her or not, but the format would be really good for her. She's several years away from using it though, since she's a rising 5th grader.

Thanks, Angie. May I ask why you didn't go with AG? I actually own this, but while dds have worked independtly with it, then it seems it needs some dear mother handholding and I don't know how patient I feel about explaining diagramming in English (I learned in Danish). On the toher hand, then it is right in my living room and might look better on a high schoolt ranscript than an 8th grade text? However, I do like the thoroughness Hake offers and incremental steps.

I decided to go with Hake mostly because it looked like a program that would be mostly independent (based on the posts I saw on this board) and I saw somebody selling it on the swap board right at the time that I needed it. If AG had come up on the boards right about that time, I may have bought it instead. Sometimes serendipity makes the decision for me.