What's with the ads?

Photo

Could someone please review Hake grammar for me?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Osmosis Mom

Osmosis Mom

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2814 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:54 PM

This would be for a smart, unmotivated 9tg grade boy who apparently has no clue how to diagram a sentence (AND this is my own flesh and blood....).

#2 AngieW in Texas

AngieW in Texas

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6102 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:57 PM

Hake is very thorough. It systematically reviews everything that has been taught previously. When you finish Hake 8th grade grammar, there should be no holes in your grammar knowledge.

It worked well for my oldest. She hated it, but she definitely learned from it.

#3 Osmosis Mom

Osmosis Mom

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2814 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:10 AM

Thanks, Angie. So your dd completed Hake in 8th grade? Could my ds just do the 8th grade one and do fine with it, do you think?

Thanks.

#4 AngieW in Texas

AngieW in Texas

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6102 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:22 AM

My oldest did Hake 8th grade grammar over all of 8th grade and about half of 9th grade. The lessons are pretty long, so I had her do just 2 lessons each week. I think there were 110 lessons, so that meant 55 weeks to complete the program.

I didn't even look at their writing, because we're happy with IEW.

My middle dd isn't going to use Hake. She's an Aspie and it would drive her absolutely insane. She's also stronger in grammar than my oldest was at the same age.

I am hanging on to Hake for my youngest. I don't know if it will work for her or not, but the format would be really good for her. She's several years away from using it though, since she's a rising 5th grader.

#5 Osmosis Mom

Osmosis Mom

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2814 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:47 AM

Thanks, Angie. May I ask why you didn't go with AG? I actually own this, but while dds have worked independtly with it, then it seems it needs some dear mother handholding and I don't know how patient I feel about explaining diagramming in English (I learned in Danish). On the toher hand, then it is right in my living room and might look better on a high schoolt ranscript than an 8th grade text? However, I do like the thoroughness Hake offers and incremental steps.

#6 AngieW in Texas

AngieW in Texas

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6102 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:21 PM

I decided to go with Hake mostly because it looked like a program that would be mostly independent (based on the posts I saw on this board) and I saw somebody selling it on the swap board right at the time that I needed it. If AG had come up on the boards right about that time, I may have bought it instead. Sometimes serendipity makes the decision for me.

#7 Niebski

Niebski

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:09 PM

Hake 8 is oh-so-thorough but deadly dull. We made it through lesson 20. I have the package for sale, if you're interested!

Sue

What's with the ads?