Menu

How do I interview a tutor?

I've successfully found three tutors at various times and did so:

First, by exchanging several emails with precise instructions/ descriptions of what I was looking for and why (I phrased the "why" in no uncertain terms lol);

second, by requesting for a trial class or two. I was willing to pay for the trial class.

Hope that helps!

Edited by quark
accuracy

Qualifications: Ask directly whether the person has an academic background in the field and obtained at which institution, or if not - that is, if you are still talking to them after a "no" at academic background, I usually do not - then how did they go about acquiring the knowledge needed and whether they would judge their competences as equivalent of the formal background and based on what. Also ask whether there are people or previous clients that would be willing to give their opinion on the quality of their expertise (in case they have previous tutoring experiences).

Doing things your way regarding biases, texts, etc.: Be as precise as possible in your expectations (I do suggest to allow some leeway regarding the textbook though - at least allow them to supplement it if it does not go well), agree upon everything in advance and you may even wish to put it in writing as a sort of agreement between you. There is something about written contracts, even if informal ones, that makes people actually behave as they tell they will, the sense of obligation is higher.

And additionally, I would ask for a trial lesson or period (which I would pay) to see how it works. You may even wish to be around when the trial period is taking place to catch a few glimpses of observations which your child may lose out on.

Personally, I request a trial period with my clients too, because just like they are not willing to allow "anyone" teach them and have some criteria there, I am not willing to teach "anyone" either and have some criteria as to that. A friendly trial period agreed upon with no obligation works wonders to cancel potentially bad teacher-student dynamics before they even occur.

I worked for a tutoring company, well actually just a guy, but he did the background checks and interviewed us. So he would have an idea about the person.

Not sure if you have something like that. It would cost a bit more.

you could also call and see if the school system has a list they use.