Menu

Need Math advise for my friend's PS kids

Real. But not in a particulary scary way, like any refences to Beloved Leader and exterminating the decandent West or whatever. More stuff about factories than most US books I've seen, but it is pretty representative of real life, so it doesn't bother me.

Grade 2, #160

On the first day the Young Pioneers cleaned 45 m of the track at the school stadium, on the second day they cleaned 6 m less than on the first day, and on the third day they cleaned 8 m more than on the second day. How many meters of the track did they clean on the third day?

Grade 2, p 82, #25-4:

42 sacks of wheat were delivered to a mill from a collective farm. This was 6 less than the number of sacks of rye. How many sacks of rye were delivered to the mill.

This is my favorite problem in the Grade 2 book for Soviet references:

P 281 # 15

Our factory has its own grade school, technical school and training institute. Of 900 workers at the factory, only 1/3 of them are not in school. How many workers at the factory are continuing their studies?

Interesting.

On a side-note, I enjoyed the cultural and economic references in those old textbooks from the Philippines. It is interesting how much one can get a feeling for a time and place from reading word problems.

Bill

Actually, my favorite problems that I like my kids to do are these type:

Make up a word problem based on these expressions:

12-7

12 + (12-7)

or

Make up word problem for this equation:

x = 4 x 6 -14

I'm stealing this idea!!!

Bill

Actually, my favorite problems that I like my kids to do are these type:

Make up a word problem based on these expressions:

12-7

12 + (12-7)

or

Make up word problem for this equation:

x = 4 x 6 -14

Me too. Or

Solve and explain your answers.

65+30

65+3

65+10

16+2

Or better yet

Solve using an appropriate method.

Something about these Russian books appeals to me for my daughter, who has picked up a frightening amount of math from listening to her older brother and me, using MEP. We'll see. She does like to draw and color, unlike him.

Doesn't SM have this sort of thing? Maybe it's in higher levels than what you've already used? I've definitely seen this sort of question in MM 4 and 5.

I have not seen it, but we are only in 3A.

Come to think of it, we may have made up some stories as far back as Earlybird, but this is a kick-in-the-pants :D

Bill

Another problem especially for RoadRunner::-)

"In the shop, there were eight saws; axes were three times as many. One team of carpenters bought half the axes and three saws for 84 roubles. The remaining saws and axes were sold to another team for 100 roubles. What are the prices of a saw and an axe?"

My son is at a math camp now (Idea Math), and one of his friends there has gone to an afterschool program called the Russian School of Mathematics. I only looked at it briefly, but it might be of interest just to see what they're doing.

http://russianschool.com/

Other friends of his there used Chinese texts, but I don't know of any that have been translated to English or which texts they recommend specifically. I believe some of the posters on these boards have mentioned a few Chinese texts, IIRC.

A few resources for later years...

We found a good number theory book to use after AoPS's Intro to Number Theory if anyone is interested. I'll be posting it over at the high school board.

Another good resource to use is Titu Andreescu's book of problems that he sells at his AwesomeMath website. You could probably begin some of the problems along with algebra.

Another problem especially for RoadRunner::-)

"In the shop, there were eight saws; axes were three times as many. One team of carpenters bought half the axes and three saws for 84 roubles. The remaining saws and axes were sold to another team for 100 roubles. What are the prices of a saw and an axe?"

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I can't get enough of those little guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so glad my kids are faaaaar removed from the life that resembles the one described by all those word problems.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I can't get enough of those little guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so glad my kids are faaaaar removed from the life that resembles the one described by all those word problems.

Yeah, Mrs Lee and her curry puffs and rambutans are fun aren't they? That's why I love the old Singapore books, before they became about Mary and her apples.

I looked up the website for the math camp to see if they have a location nearby. The picture at the top caught me eye - I find it sad that there are only 2 girls out of 35+ kids!

I think there are about 150 students or so at Idea Math. I don't know the exact number, but boys definitely outnumber girls. My son's group has about 20 students and maybe 6 are girls. However, his teacher is a brilliant young woman named Joy who is going to Harvard next year. I want to ask her if she plans to take Math 55 there.

I think Zuming Feng looks primarily at scores from the AMC tests and math contests. Not sure, though.