Menu

My pool is green. Why can't I get it clear up?

We've got one of those intex blue pop up pools. We got it last year and had no problems. This year I've struggled with it much more. My chlorine was from last year, so I don't think it was as effective as it was last year, but since then I've bought new chlorine tabs.

Currently the chlorine level is fine. The PH is on the higher side of okay, but is close to going into the 'too high ph' level. I've shocked it every week.

We've gotten a lot of rain lately, and we struggle to keep the leaves and tree bits out of the water.

So what am I doing wrong and how do I fix it? It's going to be 90 degrees this weekend, and my friend is coming in to visit. I know after spending the entire day running around NYC, we were going to want to cool off sitting in the pool. Plus the kids keep asking to go in the pool.

I don't care about the leaves and things. I just didnt' know if that would affect the water. We just have a hard time keeping up with them falling in the pool, so they are always there.

I just need the thing to make through the rest of the summer and then we are giving it away!

I'll see where the Leslie Pools place I guess.

Depending on the size of the pool you may need to put several bags of shock in it at once. We have a large above ground and I had to put 10 bags in mine and 2 bottles of algacide at the beginning of the year because we just could not get rid of the green.

For the weekend I would have a pool supply place test the water and tell you what you need and how much.

:iagree: It's likely algae, which chlorine won't fix, you need algaecide but there are different kinds. I worked at a pool store the summer after highschool, and saw people spend thousands trying to clear up algae problems using the wrong stuff. Most places test for free and it only takes 10-15 minutes.

In the future, don't let people swim in your pool in the same suit after they've been in a lake or river (I guess ocean too, it never came up because they're far from here). Once the suit has been through the wash, it's fine. This won't help with airborne debris, but can prevent some of the algae problems.

:iagree: It's likely algae, which chlorine won't fix, you need algaecide but there are different kinds. I worked at a pool store the summer after highschool, and saw people spend thousands trying to clear up algae problems using the wrong stuff. Most places test for free and it only takes 10-15 minutes.

In the future, don't let people swim in your pool in the same suit after they've been in a lake or river (I guess ocean too, it never came up because they're far from here). Once the suit has been through the wash, it's fine. This won't help with airborne debris, but can prevent some of the algae problems.

:iagree: Doesn't sound like chlorine by itself is going to do the trick. (We've had inground pools for the last 9 years.)

Are you using algaecide? We use shock, chlorine and algaecide regularly in ours. And we try to keep it covered when it's not in use. And if it's been especially hot or it's been used a lot, we use the shock and algaecide a bit more often than it says to on the container.

Also try to leave the filter running during the hot parts of the day as much as you can. And make sure you're cleaning the filter or replacing it periodically.

Thanks everyone. I realized pretty quick this could be more than I want to figure out on my own. I filled up a water bottle and headed off to the pool store. I was pretty sure it was algae when I filled the bottle and the water wasn't green, just the pool.

He ran the tests and gave me what I needed, broken down to ounces and how many hours between each. It was worth the money.

We orignally got it because the town pool was expensive, lousy hours (for us) and basically just a pain in the butt to load everything up and go, and then be ready to head home in an hour. We aren't 'hang at the pool all day' people. More like swim for a bit, get out, get back in later. Yes I dropped $60 today, and even with all the other chemicals I've bought last summer and this, along with the pool, I still think we came out cheaper than 2 years of pool membership and we used this much more than we'd have ever used the town pool, so I'm pretty happy.

We're putting the whole thing on freecycle when it comes down this fall, (we're moving next summer). So somebody will make out good since it's chemicals and all I guess. But it's all good karma in the end I guess!

Oh and he did say the stuff falling out of the oak tree certainly doesn't help. Let me tell you, between the oak leaves that don't break down in my compost bin, the spring tree sperm things that fall EVERYWHERE, the entire garbage can full of acorns, the crud that seems to fall all over the patios and now the pool, I'm SO OVER OAK TREES, I DON'T EVEN WANT TO LOOK AT OAK FURNITURE!! :glare:

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

:iagree: It's likely algae, which chlorine won't fix, you need algaecide but there are different kinds.

Not true. We had an algae problem in our pool when we bought our house. High levels of chlorine for a two weeks took care of it. We didn't run our pool pump over the winter like we usually do this year and had again, high levels (shock) levels of chlorine for a week again took care of the problem. We have never used an algaecide.

Check out this pool forum http://troublefreepool.com/. Great place with lots of good information.

I don't use any pool chemicals in my inground pool. We keep it sparkling clean with Bleach (Chlorox) Borax and Baking Soda. You'll find the information there at the troublefreepool forum.

Good luck!!

:iagree: All I use is bleach, borax, and baking soda. This site is aweome and my pool is always clear!

I use www.troublefreepool.com . I only use bleach, baking soda, and borax for my pool as well. Some of the shock treatments from stores have added chemicals that eventually cause chlorine to stop working and allow algae to grow. The website I gave has links to a pool school, and then to a pool calculator that helps you know what to add and when.

Oh, if you are using those test strips that come in little boxes, they are highly unreliable. You need something better to find out pH and such.

Read on that poolsolutioins website about not using algaecide. If you adjust your ph and balance all your other levels and put in bleach you can clear it up. Just test and post your numbers in the forum there and they will tell you what to do!

Didn't read your post before I posted mine. You are right about this and we, too, only use the BBB method!