Menu

American Heritage Girls a waste of time?

My DD was a pathfinder and loved it. They work on 4 beads for a necklace that are very age appropriate. They also get heart beads for memory verses and pony beads for attendance to add it. Most troops will also have them work on their joining award. If they complete all of the requirements for the 4 beads, they earn their Eliza Shirley badge.

Most of the time they tag along with the Tenderheart level girls and do lots of fun activities. If the amount of girls at the pathfinder level are few in a troop, they often do everything with the Tenderhearts. That is how our troop does it right now (not when my DD was one though).

The other big thing for an AHG girl is crossing over to the next level. At the end of the year, the girls get to be a part of a ceremony where they cross over into the Tenderheart level. They get their new uniform and any patches/badges they have earned from that year. The girls really love being a part of this!

It may seem simple compared to all the options the Tenderheart level and up have, but it really is worth it!

I don't think it's a waste of time. Besides having a good time, they get used to the routine of the meeting night and meet/befriend other girls and their leaders. Also, although it's not required to do service hours, if they do, they can count toward the next year (I don't know if all Kindergarten service hours can transfer, or just a certain amount).

• Like 1

Most of the time they tag along with the Tenderheart level girls and do lots of fun activities. If the amount of girls at the pathfinder level are few in a troop, they often do everything with the Tenderhearts. That is how our troop does it right now (not when my DD was one though).

The other big thing for an AHG girl is crossing over to the next level. At the end of the year, the girls get to be a part of a ceremony where they cross over into the Tenderheart level. They get their new uniform and any patches/badges they have earned from that year. The girls really love being a part of this!

This really depends on the troop. Ours has enough Pathfinders that they are completely separate from Tenderhearts, and they do not get their new uniform at the end of year ceremony.

• Like 1

This really depends on the troop. Ours has enough Pathfinders that they are completely separate from Tenderhearts, and they do not get their new uniform at the end of year ceremony.

Interesting... I knew that not all troops combine the two levels if they have a large enough Pathfinder group (ours doesnt), but I thought they all got their new uniforms at the ceremony. Learn something new every day!:)

85? Are you including AHG book (one time buy), yearly fee and uniform? Doesnt your troop do a little fundraising to help pay for the fees? Just trying to figure out the 85 for one year. Ours is 26 for the year, plus the one time book purchase 16, and the uniform-1x every 3 years or so.

85? Are you including AHG book (one time buy), yearly fee and uniform? Doesnt your troop do a little fundraising to help pay for the fees? Just trying to figure out the 85 for one year. Ours is 26 for the year, plus the one time book purchase 16, and the uniform-1x every 3 years or so.

Not for Pathfinders - the book and uniform are one year use only. I paid $26 for the registration fee, $40 for yearly dues, and $28 for the book and uniform. Next year I will have to buy the regular book and regular uniform. Boy Scouts is much, much cheaper and I don't have to drive 30 miles to get there.:tongue_smilie:

My 7yo loved it though and I can't imagine leaving the 5yo out now that she is old enough. It's their only outside activity!

Please tell me more about AHG because a troop (?) is starting near us and I have 4 girls. We're currently in a girls group with some wonderful people from church, and I love this group - especially because it's very low key and all the girls of all ages work together, which is one aspect I particularly like.

But the AHG group will be meeting at the same place/time as my boys' Boy Scout troop, and it sure would be nice to have everyone in one place...

Susan in TN- AHG is a christian based scouting group for girls. They have 5 levels: Pathefinder: K Tenderheart: 1-3 Explorer: 4-6 Pioneer: 7-8 and Patriot: 9-12.

Girls earn badges and patches and have many fun activities and camping. Every troop is slightly different (as I am learning in this thread). Our troop meets weekly during the school year and has camporee in the summer. Other troops meet every other week.

As far as fundraisers, we do not do lots of fundraising. Our troop has 2 mandatory fundraisers. One is a rummage sale in the spring, and the other is some sort of sales (usually flower bulbs). There is another fundraiser offered in the winter (selling chocolates) but it is optional.

One of AHG's areas of focus is community service. I think this is why we spend less time fundraising, to open up time for community service.

Anyway, they have a website that might answer some more of your questions.

http://www.ahgonline.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=20600

Susan in TN- AHG is a christian based scouting group for girls. They have 5 levels: Pathefinder: K Tenderheart: 1-3 Explorer: 4-6 Pioneer: 7-8 and Patriot: 9-12.

Girls earn badges and patches and have many fun activities and camping. Every troop is slightly different (as I am learning in this thread). Our troop meets weekly during the school year and has camporee in the summer. Other troops meet every other week.

As far as fundraisers, we do not do lots of fundraising. Our troop has 2 mandatory fundraisers. One is a rummage sale in the spring, and the other is some sort of sales (usually flower bulbs). There is another fundraiser offered in the winter (selling chocolates) but it is optional.

One of AHG's areas of focus is community service. I think this is why we spend less time fundraising, to open up time for community service.

Anyway, they have a website that might answer some more of your questions.

http://www.ahgonline.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=20600

Thank you! They're having an informational meeting this week too - sounds like a really nice program. I love the community service aspect!

• 2 years later...

I went to the informational meeting near me... I like it, but the upfront cost for me is a lot. We will try it, as our girl needs to get out some more... hopefully the badges encourage learning... she already thinks the outfit is super cute, she would be a TH.

also the parent comitment... any ideas of how to get 5 points of participation? I can teach science things...but I really rather be with my LO, so I could just be a 3 deep  helper to the TH?

also I have a new born, so I would have baby with me at all meetings! how  helpful can i be? I can do stuff online and papework type stuff....

any ideas?

Another question:

I am looking for used books/uniforms, etc. of people that bought and didn't use it... why is there not a place I can find used AHG stuff, I can see how to need to buy new vest, but maybe I could find a polo or a skort on ebay? but no... not even a book...

any idea why? I was looking for a regular 7/8 size Tenderheart uniform. I know the vest I have to buy new... but the book?polo?

It's helpful to have the book new - it'll last your kids' entire AHG career, and it serves as a record keeping thing as well. So when your girl finishes a badge requirement, your leader will sign off on the completion. A used book would probably be significantly marked up it the previous owner had done a bit of AHGing.

As for uniforms, our troop does not require the special AHG polo or skirt - just navy and white. You might check with your people before you shell out for the special stuff.

They have to wear skirts? Even to go camping?

Are there badges having to do with very conservative Christian evangelical topics, like modesty and keepers of the home type of stuff?

I hope the Op doesn't mind my jumping in. I'm trying to decide if I want to do AHG with my dd and whether it would be a fit for our family,

No, mercy!  They do not have to wear skirts while camping.  Our people wear whatever they want while camping, and the AHG uniform (worn to meetings) is navy bottoms (skirt, skort, shorts, pants, whatever) with a white shirt and the vest/neckerchief.  It's not crazy.

There are Christian topics in the badge work.  There's a Bible Basics, which is just what it sounds like.  And I can think of a couple of them (maybe a My Style) that have modesty sub-points.  But they're not going to tell you to wear ankle-length skirts and long sleeves at all times -- it's more of a "what does this mean to you, in light of these Bible verses" line of thinking. 

• Like 1

Are there badges having to do with very conservative Christian evangelical topics, like modesty and keepers of the home type of stuff?

I hope the Op doesn't mind my jumping in. I'm trying to decide if I want to do AHG with my dd and whether it would be a fit for our family,

No, mercy!  They do not have to wear skirts while camping.  Our people wear whatever they want while camping, and the AHG uniform (worn to meetings) is navy bottoms (skirt, skort, shorts, pants, whatever) with a white shirt and the vest/neckerchief.  It's not crazy.

There are Christian topics in the badge work.  There's a Bible Basics, which is just what it sounds like.  And I can think of a couple of them (maybe a My Style) that have modesty sub-points.  But they're not going to tell you to wear ankle-length skirts and long sleeves at all times -- it's more of a "what does this mean to you, in light of these Bible verses" line of thinking. 

:thumbup:  Yeah, we don't do the "keepers of the home" and skirts only.  Mine usually wear skirts because I think it's cute, but Sylvia prefers pants and that's no problem at all.  It's easy because it's just basic uniform pieces.  My girls really have fun and enjoy earning badges.  Plus, ours is a homeschool troop, so they get to hang out with other unsocialized homeschoolers.  LOL!   :laugh:

• Like 1

We don't require our girls to have the official bottoms here. So, they wear their shirts w/ whatever they please. The badges are definitely not all evangelical Protestant influenced or we wouldn't be members. There is a very wide range of badges from engineering, archery and cake decorating badges and everything in between.

These are the 6 areas for badges:

Heritage Frontier- Related to learning about the history of your family, our country (including Native Americans), AHG history and World History

Family Living- Cooking, Decorating, Pets, Cars, Home Care/Repair, Cake decorating, Sewing etc.

Arts- dance, photography, theater, puppets, movies, writing, music, textile arts, etc

outdoor skills- archery, boating, camping, canoeing,biking, hiking, horses, outdoor skills, etc

Well-Being- badges related to the physical, social and spiritual(religious)

Science and Technology- Aviation, Computers, Engineers, Gardening, Geology, Insect, Birds, Women Inventors, Meterology, Space etc.

There is also a program for sports pins for a variety of sports.

• Like 2

I think that any extra curricular activity for a 5 year old is a waste of time. They're so young. Let them play. Chill. Get to bed on time. Have read aloud time evey night. Unless there's an older sibling involved I'd jump on the treadmill of busyness no earlier than 6 years old.

• Like 2

We loved AHG while my oldest was in it. She quit, because it conflicted with our church's high school youth group.

That said, I'm probably going to skip Pathfinders for my youngest. We stay so busy with the schedules of our two oldest, that I can't see adding AHG for the youngest until the oldest is in college.....just in time for the youngest to be a Tenderheart. :)

Ours is at least $85 a year PLUS we have to either sell $100 of Yankee Candles or "buy out" of the fundraising event by paying another $50.  And I'd love to know where that money goes.  They say they spend thousands on badges each year.  If that's the case, I wish each girl would pay for her own badges, but I really have to wonder about this.  The Boy Scouts doesn't charge nearly this much, does many more activities, and they earn a lot of badges too, if not more.  None of the money paid to AHG goes to the unit, either.  So, I've seen the leaders really get saddled with a lot of costs since they have nothing to work with, though sometimes they will ask the parents to chip in.

Ugh, fundraising is no fun.  Our troop does just one per year, a family movie night where they sell concessions and stuff.  But the proceeds from that go to our service projects for the year.  So it feels good to make it happen.

Our troop has a supply budget of $10 per kid per year.  So in my group of 10 girls, there'd be $100 available for supplies towards the badges they're earning as a crew.  We also sometimes ask parents to bring stuff, if it's things they'd likely have at home.

The badges are $4/per, usually.  Some of the patches and whatever might be different.

Honestly, if you ask, I'd bet your coordinator or treasurer would be happy to show you the books.  Financial transparency is a big deal, and if there's anything you're feeling unsettled about it's WAY better to just ask in an upfront way and see what's going on with your money. 

Our fundraising is so minimal, it's the only way I can handle it.  We do a pancake breakfast every year and all the girls are supposed to sell $50 of tickets each.  Other than that, they do Kroger gift cards, where you use the gift card and it gives a certain percentage to the troop.  It raises so much money we get let off the hook.  Of course we do pay for all of our own badges too.  I'm just glad to not have to sell stuff.

I am a Troop Coordinator of a troop out here in CA. I am the mom of the pathfinder that Laurel-in-Ca mentioned. :)

Our dues cover operating costs and costs for national. We re-evaluate out budget each year to see if we can lower or if we need to raise. Our dues are currently $120 per troop year (this includes the registration fee to National), $25.00 to cover the National Support fee to National and a $25.00 fundraising commitment. The money covers leaders registration fees, which the troop covers, recruitment costs, support of our missionary, leader training, copies, opening events, fundraising prizes, Court of Honor food, all badges earned in meetings and patches for certain service projects and various other things.

Out here in Nor Cal this is comparable to Little League and such. Other things like TaeKwonDo or dance or gymnastics can be upwards of $120 per month. We do also have a scholarship fund and we have 2 very sucessful fundraisers a year.

Silvermoon, How do you get books and uniforms shipped to individual famillies? I was under the impression that individuals cannot order directly from National? We order all our books and uniforms and then distribute them.

Jenn CA0158

All our personal gear came from one of the big orders, but I remember an ambassador suggesting we lump it just to save shipping. I just dropped a handbook in my cart on the attic side of their online shop and started checking out with it. All it asked for was my DD's troop number.

We tried it after many years of Girl Scouts and we didn't stay. I would say, in our experience, it was a waste or time & money. It was super expensive for what it was, especially considering the minimal expenses Girl Scouts requires. And when we left the troop I tried to donate my books and uniforms to the troop to give future families and they didn't want them for reuse :(  

I understand that extracurricular activities can get expensive, but I can't see the opportunities AHG offers justify the expense and required fundraising. My 5 yo did enjoy it quite a bit, but she was not upset to leave and has never asked to return. After our experience, I would not recommend AHG.

• 7 months later...

I think experiences are as many and different as there are people. So far we arein the troop. and my daughter loves it! we are making it part of our homeschooling, so I have to be attentive to see what requirements we have fulfilled. It surely helped a lot on the service hours! my little one loves to serve! and that is not one of her love languages.

SHe loves being with girls her age and that she is not the youngest, like at church....

I say try it and see, you don't have to come back...

Now after getting the book and learning that there is one coming out again next yr... I think I'll wait for the app!  hahaha.

k

Well, in my experience, once an AHG group starts up, they FILL Up fast, to the point where girls are on a wait list.  So, JOIN NOW and find some way to help out a little, even in the smallest aspect, so that the group will thrive, and so that your daughter can be a part of it.  My daughter is wait listed in our local AHG group.  

• 1 year later...
Guest lwoody

I think the key is to find a good, active troop and get involved. Our troop was getting a little overloaded when it was a drop-off program. Now that we require one parent to stay, the parents are getting involved and the families who stayed are getting a lot out of it. We've had to streamline our schedule for the upcoming school year. We made some hard decisions about cutting things out of our schedule, but AHG wasn't one of them. 

I pay $85 per year per girl (not including book and uniform), but we use our uniforms for several years, and the book is a one-time purchase (although there is the addendum to the book this year). Our troop accepts hand-me-down uniforms as well, so we have a box of vests, neckerchiefs, sashes and even some badges and patches that people have donated.  

We have one fundraising opportunity per year, but it's not compulsory. It's successful if you do it, though. We had several families who sold enough to cover their membership fee, activity fee, and outing fee for one outing for the following year. 

I think when you evaluate the cost of any program, you have to ask what your child gets out of it. We cut a nearly-free drop-off program from our schedule this year because it's mainly crafts, games, songs, and stories. AHG helps girls develop strong friendships, focuses on character, lets them work on service to others together, emphasizes leadership at all levels, and even helps us with our schoolwork as we work on badges, either at home or with friends.

My girls are going to stay in AHG all the way up.

I know it depends a lot on the troop, we personally love ours and we are at full capacity. Yes, more expensive than girlscouts, but I don't agree with what girlscouts support, so morally I can't have our girls be part of that. Also, our experience with girl scouts was not the best...my daughters were given badge after badge for very little work or activity, many times they didn't even know why they earned them (and we participated in girl scouts in 2 different troops and many years apart), in AHG they have to work hard to earn their badges, I love it and our girls do as well. Oh, and yes, our pathfinders do work and very cute activities, and they seem to enjoy being part of a "big girls troop"

This is a pretty old post. I have a few more years' experience with AHG and still have nearly 100% good to say about it. Last year our troop had 9! pathfinders and they were all so excited to learn the creed and oath and work on service projects (polar fleece blankets, picking up sticks @ campsite, etc.) and do crafts in their group as well as tag along at Camporee and family camp. It was a great introduction to the program for them and their moms.

Many troops will allow payments so that you can make a downpayment to cover program fees and uniform, then fundraise for the remainder of your dues. Our troop has a swap box for uniform bottoms (pants/shorts/skirts) and polo shirts....sometimes extra Pathfinder shirts or Class B shirts are in there, too, for a nominal fee.