Menu

Friendly Chemistry vs. Conceptual Chemistry

I need some help....I am trying to decide between Friendly Chemistry and Conceptual Chemistry.

I have a rising 11th and 12th that need to do this class. One of them hates math and the other hates reading.

I really need to choose one science program that will work for both.

I would love to know the pros and cons for both of these.

Thanks

Only have experience with Conceptual Chemistry here.

Pros (for us)

- free online website support with short videos for each concept; worksheets; and other teacher resources

- some math, but very much "holds your hand" and walks you through any calculations

- very clear, tangible/visual explanations of abstract concepts

- very visually appealing textbook (text broken into manageable chunks; plenty of margin space; sidebars, photos/illustrations, etc. on every page)

- easy to schedule; used the end-of-chapter review as tests

- what hands-on experiments there are in the textbook really WORK and really use items your really do have around the house

Cons (for us)

- no lab component -- must design your own

We used the 2nd ed. of CC (copyright 2004) with no problems and matched up various TOPS units for our experiments and labs. The most recent edition is the 4th edition, and it has radically reorganized the material and chapters; the videos on the website are synched with the 4th edition, but with a little effort you can do an earlier edition of CC and find the video that matches up with your text. No way around it -- textbooks have to be read -- at least, I don't know of an audio book version of CC. DS with mild dyslexia and I did CC mostly as a read aloud "popcorn style" ("you read a page, I read a page") -- in the chapters covering the more abstract topics (structure of atoms; oxidation; etc.), I tended to read it all aloud to allow him to totally focus on listening/absorbing the concepts so he didn't have to also use "brain energy" trying to read/decode the chemistry vocabulary and abstract concepts

Below is the list of TOPS units that specifically match CC 2nd edition. Also below are past threads with Chemistry recommendations that may be of help. I believe Spectrum is fairly light on reading. It does have math in it, but is not math-heavy. (See Cathy Duffy's review.) BEST of luck in finding what works best for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Chemistry for the non-chemistry minded

Science for struggling math student

Chemistry for a non-math lover

What do you do for chemistry if your student just can't handle the math

And here are some past threads with reviews of Conceptual Chemistry, Friendly Chemistry, and Spectrum Chemistry:

Chemistry

Chemistry curriculum?

Friendly Chemistry

What is needed for Conceptual Chemistry

Okay, somebody just tell me which Chemistry to get

Can you help me choose a Chemistry course

Conceptual Chemistry (2nd ed.) and TOPS unit match-up:

- chapter 1 = can use TOPS #14 Kinetic Model, experiments #1-13

- chapter 2 = can use TOPS #10 Analysis, experiments #1-4 AND TOPS #12 Solutions, experiments #1-5

- chapter 3 = -----

- chapter 4 = -----

- chapter 5 = -----

- chapter 6 = can use TOPS #13 Cohesion/Adhesion, experiments #5-6

- chapter 7 = can use TOPS #12 Solutions, experiments #14-28

- chapter 8 = can use TOPS #12 Solution, experiment #17 AND TOPS #13 Cohesion/Adhesion, experiments #1-12; 15; 21-24

- chapter 9 = can use TOPS #10 Analysis, experiments #5-8

- chapter 10 = can use TOPS #10 Analysis, experiments #9-16

- chapter 11 = can use TOPS #12 Solutions, experiments #10-13 AND TOPS #11 Oxidation, experiments #1-16

- chapter 12-19 = -----

Edited by Lori D.
added info

• 2 weeks later...

We only had a student textbook (2nd ed., copyright 2004). I used questions from the end-of-chapter review as the test, and the textbook contained the answers for these questions.

On the Conceptual Chemistry website, there are "quick quizzes" available under the instructor resources section, and worksheets for additional practice that could be used as quizzes or tests. The website is set up for the 3rd and 4th editions of CC.

For the 4th edition, I believe this is what is available from the publisher (Pearson), all for $98.97:

Student Edition (HS Binding)

isbn10: 0131376306

isbn13: 9780131376304

Instructor’s Solutions Manual

isbn10: 0321678478

isbn13: 9780321678478

Instructor’s Resource CD-ROM

isbn10: 0321678370

isbn13: 9780321678379

Explorations in Conceptual Chemistry (lab manual)

isbn10: 032168172X

isbn13: 9780321681720

Conceptual Chemistry (2nd ed.) and TOPS unit match-up:

- chapter 1 = can use TOPS #14 Kinetic Model, experiments #1-13

- chapter 2 = can use TOPS #10 Analysis, experiments #1-4 AND TOPS #12 Solutions, experiments #1-5

- chapter 3 = -----

- chapter 4 = -----

- chapter 5 = -----

- chapter 6 = can use TOPS #13 Cohesion/Adhesion, experiments #5-6

- chapter 7 = can use TOPS #12 Solutions, experiments #14-28

- chapter 8 = can use TOPS #12 Solution, experiment #17 AND TOPS #13 Cohesion/Adhesion, experiments #1-12; 15; 21-24

- chapter 9 = can use TOPS #10 Analysis, experiments #5-8

- chapter 10 = can use TOPS #10 Analysis, experiments #9-16

- chapter 11 = can use TOPS #12 Solutions, experiments #10-13 AND TOPS #11 Oxidation, experiments #1-16

- chapter 12-19 = -----

Thanks for reminding me about the TOPS books! These will come in handy this year with my intro to chem class!

Blessings,

April