Menu

Favorite King Arthur and Robin Hood read-aloud versions?

Georgia

We haven't read King Arthur yet, but my standard recommendation for Robin Hood is Howard Pyle's. We had an edition with illustrations by Don Irwin which had helpful sketches and definitions in the margins (of things we might not be familiar with given change of culture and passage of time).

It was challenging even as a read aloud, but my ds LOVED it. He was 8 at the time.

We had an edition with illustrations by Don Irwin which had helpful sketches and definitions in the margins (of things we might not be familiar with given change of culture and passage of time).
That the version I had when I was a kid! There was one for the Jungle Books too, and, I believe Around the World in 80 Days. Oh thank you, I had no idea how to find them. :)

We've really enjoyed Rosemary Sutcliff's Arthur Trilogy: The Sword and the Circle, The Light Beyond the Forest, and The Road to Camlann.

That the version I had when I was a kid! There was one for the Jungle Books too, and, I believe Around the World in 80 Days. Oh thank you, I had no idea how to find them. :)

We've really enjoyed Rosemary Sutcliff's Arthur Trilogy: The Sword and the Circle, The Light Beyond the Forest, and The Road to Camlann.

I'm so glad you posted. I never thought of looking for other books illustrated by him! (duh!) I will have to go searching now!!!

I'm so glad you posted. I never thought of looking for other books illustrated by him! (duh!) I will have to go searching now!!!
Here's a set on Amazon. This is not complete, as I have verified that Around the World in 80 Days was indeed part of the series, as was Black Beauty.

These are the books:

Treasure Island

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Swiss Family Robinson

Pinocchio

The Jungle Books

The Virginian

Sherlock Holmes

Robin Hood

Arabian Nights

The Heroes

Call of the Wild

Paul Bunyan

My concern is physical quality. What's the condition of the pages in your version of Robin Hood?

Here's a set on Amazon. This is not complete, as I have verified that Around the World in 80 Days was indeed part of the series, as was Black Beauty.

These are the books:

Treasure Island

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Swiss Family Robinson

Pinocchio

The Jungle Books

The Virginian

Sherlock Holmes

Robin Hood

Arabian Nights

The Heroes

Call of the Wild

Paul Bunyan

My concern is physical quality. What's the condition of the pages in your version of Robin Hood?

The cover is sound. The pages are yellowed a bit, but not deteriorating at all.

I am drooling over that set!

One set says it has 13 volumes and then adds that the first 12 are numbered and the extra 13th one is not numbered (The Prince and the Pauper). I also saw individual listings for:

Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates

Captain Courageous

Kidnapped

Black Beauty

White Fang

The Gold Bug and Other Tales (Poe)

Around the World in 80 Days

If they stopped numbering after 12, there's probably no way of knowing how many they made.

I'm such a book-a-holic!

We haven't read King Arthur yet, but my standard recommendation for Robin Hood is Howard Pyle's. We had an edition with illustrations by Don Irwin which had helpful sketches and definitions in the margins (of things we might not be familiar with given change of culture and passage of time).

It was challenging even as a read aloud, but my ds LOVED it. He was 8 at the time.

That's good to hear! I recently bought The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Pyle and was concerned that it would be too hard...too hard for me, that is. But maybe I could manage to do it as a read-aloud (instead of assigning it to ds11 and then having to read it on my own in order to discuss it -- usually I fall behind ds).

We have a couple of other versions of Robin Hood: one by Neil Philip and another by Roger Lancelyn Green, neither of which I've read. The Pyle version looks the most interesting of the three.

Our copy is illustrated by Pyle, published by Dover. It doesn't have definitions of words in the margin, but it does have in very small font, kind of in the margin, brief descriptions of what's going on...about 2 of these on every page. E.g., "Little John yieldeth himself to Arthur a Bland." I guess if you were trying to find a specific scene, these would be helpful. Having the definitions right there would be great!

If your kids aren't too old for picture books, we like the 4 book King Arthur series by Hudson Talbott. They are beautifully illustrated. My 11 yo still likes looking at his.

Also, another nice picture book series is the one by Robert San Souci: Young Arthur, Young Lancelot, Young Guinevere, and Young Merlin.

Howard Pyle's version of Robin Hood is great.

Another version of King Arthur: Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Hahaha. :D