Menu

Any of you willing to share a copy of your child's transcript?

ma23peas

I am going into my second year of teaching high school writing..last year, I only had one senior and this year I have five. Next year, I will most likely have 10! The trend for homeschooling high school has definitely increased in our area. As part of their resource folder I am including samples of transcripts used by other homeschooling families. I am using 2 from HSLDA and one from a yahoo group I belong to (5 pages long) just to give examples of short/long...while the ones on HSLDA were fine, I did not see any that included test scores or accomplishments.

I thought I had seen one where the family did include all these topics on one page. I've read through the posts (through searching) and found that some schools have their own specific transcript they want filled out or will tell you the information they require...could any of you share your files (marking out the child's name or I can black that out) and share any comments you received about your transcripts? I think this would be very helpful for my students and help motivate them to prepare for the next year.

Thanks!

I use a format similar to Blue Hen's with a few changes. I include a column for <9th grade, across the bottom I include GPA/yr + cumulative GPA/cumulative credits, include a section on the bottom for extracurricular activities and awards, and shift everything closer to the left in order to accommodate a key, test scores, and grading scale.

FWIW, I am sure that Blue Hen included grades. I am assuming those are the blank columns left deliberately blank.

HTH

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Why would you put test scores on the transcript? The college gets them separately.

It gives the admission's officer a single page with a cohesive summation of all the data. If the test scores are good, you want them there. As a homeschooler, they also validate the grades.

FWIW, I also include dual-enrollment classes and grades on the transcript. Looking back at Blue Hen's, instead of asterisks, I include a narrow column before the grade level columns and put codes (hence the key) in that column. For example, PAH would be for PA Homeschoolers or DE for dual-enrollment. They still receive the college transcripts separately, but again, it is a single page reference sheet.

Yes, I did put grades on the transcript but took them off when I posted this publicly. They were located left of the credit column. I used letter grades with the exception of Field Ecology I & II and the courses listed under Misc.

Yes, I placed test scores on the transcript to do just as 8FillTheHeart states. DS scores were very, very good.:

It gives the admission's officer a single page with a cohesive summation of all the data. If the test scores are good, you want them there. As a homeschooler, they also validate the grades.

I got the idea for placing the scores onto the transcript after seeing several public & private school transcripts. That is where they had placed their students' scores! Also, several colleges did not want official scores until after DS accepted their offer. Placing these scores onto the transcript provided the scores to the colleges.

In DS Junior year we toured several college campuses. On these visits several admission officers stated that they needed confirmation that DS had fulfilled our state's high school educational requirements. For me an easy approach to convey this information was to add:

Suvxyz Academy, DOE #---- is operated in accordance to DE State Law TITLE 14 - Education Chapter 27 §2702 - 2704
On another college visit the admin person noticed the above line and stated that having that on the transcript was really helpful to him. :)

In Delaware one hs'ing option is for the family to declare that they are their own non-public school. Very easy in this state to do this. DOE then issues a school number to us and we then report our school status to DOE in the fall and spring. Quite easy to do----I love homeschooling in Delaware.

• 2 weeks later...

If you PM me your snail mail address I will USPS you a hard-copy of my DD's transcript. The physical copy looks very impressive, along with the 100% rag cotton paper and fancy font. Also I will send a copy of her fancy diploma that we purchased; cost us $60- but so worth it, my DD loves the little gold seal that says "Highest Honors".

Appearance aside, my DD's transcript included all courses, broken down by school year, and grades for each course. Final and Cum GPAs were given each year. Also, I denoted whether a course was Honors (with a *) or Dual Enrollment by labeling it like DE Western Civ. Next to the the DE Western Civ I would put a #, or a &, or a %, or a @, all of which indicated through which college/university my daughter took the course (she took college courses for college credit at 4 different institutions) as well as CLEP exams. At the bottom of the one-page transcript I had a "key" which indicated what school # & % and @ stood for.

I, also, listed my DD's SAT exam scores, as the public schools do the same.

I did have to enlarge my printer margins, change some fonts, and really play around with tables, but I managed to get it all on one nice-looking page (the second page went into course material and school philosophy). My DD applied to four public schools and was accepted into all, with substantial scholarships, to boot.

You can do it. Your child can do it. Just persevere. BTW, what we discovered had the most impact--in talking to college admissions during the application process and AFTER acceptance--were 3 things:

1) that our DD was homeschooled; she had previously attended public high school but due to illness had to take some time off and she CHOSE not to return to p/s when she realized how much more she could learn at home, and in a better environment

2) that our homeschooled DD had very high SAT scores, while her peers/friends who were getting all (inflated?) As in their public school Honors and AP classes at p/s were scoring in the 520-560 range on their SATs. Thus, my DDs SAT scores were proof that homeschooling actually worked.

3) that my DD had taken many college courses and done well in them: 2 Bs and 11 As. Now she will be entering "going away" college in two weeks she is well-prepared for intensive study and knows how to work independently.

All in all, a testament to homeschooling.

Edited by distancia

I like the format of this transcript -- it's similar to mine, but the larger typeface is easier to read and inspired me to try to make my fonts a bit larger. It includes PSAT scores, though -- I thought I read that you're not supposed to put them on the transcript. :confused:

FWIW, I also include dual-enrollment classes and grades on the transcript. Looking back at Blue Hen's, instead of asterisks, I include a narrow column before the grade level columns and put codes (hence the key) in that column. For example, PAH would be for PA Homeschoolers or DE for dual-enrollment.

8Fill, I've decided to add such a column to my son's transcript. Because he has so many different sources for his classes, using asterisks or different fonts (as I was doing) was getting too confusing. I'm wondering if you had room for a heading for this column (I don't seem to have room for a heading ...), or if it was self-explanatory.

Here's a link to the one I used for my son,

http://mtpleasant.homeschooljournal.net/files/2011/07/Transcript.pdf

Carole, I really like how you have the name of the school, large, in blue across the top. I'm trying to figure out what font you used -- is it Euphemia, by any chance?

Thanks so much to everyone who posted in this thread (and elsewhere)! Like Sebastian, I feel very encouraged! I had a very nice-looking transcript before, but these tweaks will make it ROCK! :D

Now to get started on those course descriptions ... :001_huh:

Edited by Laura in CA

8Fill, I've decided to add such a column to my son's transcript. Because he has so many different sources for his classes, using asterisks or different fonts (as I was doing) was getting too confusing. I'm wondering if you had room for a heading for this column (I don't seem to have room for a heading ...), or if it was self-explanatory.

:

I don't label it. I have an abbreviation key on the right hand side, so I think it is pretty obvious. I also think that the schools he will be applying to are going to be familiar with AoPS, EPGY, OCW, etc, so the key would probably simply clarify some that they aren't sure about.

I like the idea of the seal that someone posted. I wonder if that is worth the purchase?

I don't label it. I have an abbreviation key on the right hand side, so I think it is pretty obvious. I also think that the schools he will be applying to are going to be familiar with AoPS, EPGY, OCW, etc, so the key would probably simply clarify some that they aren't sure about.

OK, that's sorta what I was thinking. Thanks!

I like the idea of the seal that someone posted. I wonder if that is worth the purchase?

Yes, that does sound nice!

• 1 year later...

I was curious about embossers and googled. You can buy one specific for your school here. They have a limited number of choices for a mascot you can have put in the center. Then you can have the school name on the outer circle and a motto. Or whatever you like. You have to put one in your cart then it will take you to the personalization page.

I wonder how often one would use it. On report cards, transcripts, official documents one sends to college application offices like course descriptions. What else? Is it worth the $32.00

Personally, I'd spend the $32 for an embosser even if it just got used for a few transcripts! Seems like a cheap price to pay if it'll impress an admissions dept. (or at least not cause them to roll their eyes at Buck's home made transcript)

Personally, I'd spend the $32 for an embosser even if it just got used for a few transcripts! Seems like a cheap price to pay if it'll impress an admissions dept. (or at least not cause them to roll their eyes at Buck's home made transcript)

Yes. My ds' transcript was embossed.

I also embossed & initialed some round seals to place across the back of the envelopes when I sent them to the unis. That probably wasn't necessary, but the embosser got used more! :lol:

But with so many schools using the common app, who would actually get to see the paper transcript with the embossed seal?

Another idea to add, I sign my children's transcripts because several colleges have asked for that. And then, I "crunch" over the signature with our corporate seal. It looks quite official and I've had several college comment on how it looks more official that way. Quite silly, but they liked it.

Goodness, this makes me wonder exactly who it is that is an admissions officer. The level of silliness in liking this is huge.

Note: not picking at you. I say go with what works. I just wish this wasn't working because it says "STUPID."

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a link to the one I used for my son,

http://mtpleasant.ho.../Transcript.pdf

I placed his test scores on the front page of his transcript and on the backside were his Awards & Activities. I did not upload the second page.

Carole

For these two transcripts, how did you type the subjects vertically?

Thanks!

PM me your email and I'd be happy to send you mine. All of the schools ds applied to were Common App schools so the format had to work for uploading. Ds was accepted with merit money to all 4 schools where he applied. I included course descriptions at the back of the transcript because not all of the courses were traditionally titled. Not one school asked for more information (except mid-year and final grades.)

PM me your email and I'd be happy to send you mine. All of the schools ds applied to were Common App schools so the format had to work for uploading. Ds was accepted with merit money to all 4 schools where he applied. I included course descriptions at the back of the transcript because not all of the courses were traditionally titled. Not one school asked for more information (except mid-year and final grades.)

Argh the format has to upload? Do you mean as in a .pdf or that the actual format had to look a certain way? (Where did I put those Easter M&Ms?)

Please tell me that Excel files will upload. If they won't, I think I am going to have a minor breakdown!!!

All of the schools ds applied to were Common App schools so the format had to work for uploading.

What format was yours in? Will a pdf work? I have mine in excel, but I prefer to change it into a pdf anyway, so that the file can not get messed up when it is opened.

What format was yours in? Will a pdf work? I have mine in excel, but I prefer to change it into a pdf anyway, so that the file can not get messed up when it is opened.

Ok, is this something that is normal to do? I rarely do anything on the computer, so I am not savvy at all w/this stuff. Maybe I should ask dh to do this instead of polishing the excel files? (which is what I was going to do) He spends his life working in different programs, so I am sure would know how to do it.

Ok, is this something that is normal to do? I rarely do anything on the computer, so I am not savvy at all w/this stuff. Maybe I should ask dh to do this instead of polishing the excel files? (which is what I was going to do) He spends his life working in different programs, so I am sure would know how to do it.

8, this is very very easy to do. When you have your excel file open, simply go to the "Office" button and to "Save as". It will offer you many different formats, and you select pdf. This works from many other programs.

Alternatively you can go to "Print", and select the pdf creator as your "printer".

The resulting pdf file looks like your excel print view (so the effort you put into formatting will not be wasted!). It is a very portable format, and can not be easily altered, so nothing can get changed by accident when somebody clicks on the file.

I did save mine as a PDF so that it would upload and look as I intended. In Word, I can "print" to a pdf creator. I do have a transcript in excel, but that is not the one I use to send in - I only use it to keep track of credits and GPA. I think you can upload in different formats, but I felt it was safer to create a pdf. If you don't have that option, you can use a pdf creator online.

ETA: There was no specific format, I just wanted all my formatting to create a pretty document to work as you never know if they have the same version, etc. Also, I did my transcript that I sent in Word, using text boxes for the various things I put in there. I also put in my signature that I had scanned. The first page of my transcript document is the transcript itself. The rest of it are detailed course descriptions - about a paragraph on what we did, plus all of the resources used for the class.

8, this is very very easy to do. When you have your excel file open, simply go to the "Office" button and to "Save as". It will offer you many different formats, and you select pdf. This works from many other programs.

Alternatively you can go to "Print", and select the pdf creator as your "printer".

The resulting pdf file looks like your excel print view (so the effort you put into formatting will not be wasted!). It is a very portable format, and can not be easily altered, so nothing can get changed by accident when somebody clicks on the file.

I finally had a chance to talk to dh and after looking at what I created, he has assured me it will be very easy for him to fix my few problems and convert to a pdf.

Thanks for your reply.

Debra Bell has several transcript samples in her Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling Teens. One is my ds22's.

We didn't do any fancy embossing or anything, but we did sign the transcript. Our kids got accepted to lots of selective schools.

I like the samples in her book. Can they be downoaded as a typable document?

• 1 month later...

I'm glad this thread got bumped (again!) --

Speaking of course descriptions ... they're almost ready (yay!). Now I'm wondering about uploading the PDF of the transcript ... I'm guessing (based on what people say upthread) that the one-page transcript (with grades, etc.) is combined with the multiple-page course descriptions (called 'transcript legend,' I think, by the Common App) into ONE PDF document, and this is uploaded where it says  .....well, I don't know where to upload it, b/c there's no link yet ... maybe this is a bug in the new CA, or maybe it's b/c my son hasn't started his applications in earnest yet (& some of the schools are not ready yet either; their supplemental forms are not yet available) ... ?? When I go into my CA counselor account, I see my son's name, but nothing under the "forms" heading ... 

Anyway, my question is (once I can find the link!) -- do people upload the transcript + course descriptions as ONE document?

Oh, and where would my counselor's letter go? Is that part of this ONE file?

Or are these 3 separate documents, and uploaded separately?

Sorry if this is obvious ... maybe if I could see the links, it would be obvious.

I'm not in a rush  -- the important thing is to finish the documents, and I'm still in the thinking stages for the counselor's letter -- but I'm starting to think about the logistics of all this. Thanks for any and all advice!

Anyway, my question is (once I can find the link!) -- do people upload the transcript + course descriptions as ONE document?

Oh, and where would my counselor's letter go? Is that part of this ONE file?

I only uploaded the mommy transcript.  I sent paper course descriptions together with official transcripts from the community college and charter school my ds had attended in 9th grade.

The counselor letter is uploaded separately -- it's been over a year since I did this, so I can't remember exactly, but there is a prompt for it in the counselor's section of the CA.

Most of the uploads have a size limit.  The counselor's letter and the homeschool supplement all had word or character limits, so I found myself editing and revising quite a bit.  The uploading was  bit of a headache but I figured it out!  As I remember it was twitchy about which browser I used.  I'm on a mac and found Safari was the browser that worked best for all of it.  

The only other document I produced during our admissions process was a one page resume for my son to refer to and turn in during his interviews.  It isn't necessary, but it was a nice big picture summary of who he is as it listed activities, internships, volunteer and paid work

I only uploaded the mommy transcript.  I sent paper course descriptions together with official transcripts from the community college and charter school my ds had attended in 9th grade.

The counselor letter is uploaded separately -- it's been over a year since I did this, so I can't remember exactly, but there is a prompt for it in the counselor's section of the CA.

Most of the uploads have a size limit.  The counselor's letter and the homeschool supplement all had word or character limits, so I found myself editing and revising quite a bit.  The uploading was  bit of a headache but I figured it out!  As I remember it was twitchy about which browser I used.  I'm on a mac and found Safari was the browser that worked best for all of it.  

The only other document I produced during our admissions process was a one page resume for my son to refer to and turn in during his interviews.  It isn't necessary, but it was a nice big picture summary of who he is as it listed activities, internships, volunteer and paid work

Thanks, Jenn! This is very helpful. I haven't done the resume for this son yet, but it *was* very helpful for my older son ... you (and they) tend to forget all the stuff they've actually done!

(And yes, we're a Mac family too, so knowing which browser works best is helpful!)

I have read some really long sample counselor letters.   What is the character limit?   The letter is already driving me crazy.   I need to frame in my mind an approx limit before I finish what I think I have finished only to have to completely re-work!!