Menu

I just got $100 Amazon discount by joining Audible

On Monday I had two things at the top of my To-Do List.

1. Join Audible.com

2. Get iPad speakers

I've been reading aloud at least an hour a day if you include everything. My voice gets hoarse after reading aloud after 30 minutes. So a foray into more audiobooks was definitely in the plan for the week. Plus we spend a lot of time driving and going on road trips and love audiobooks. My plan was to join Audible, then download books to my iPad, iPhone/iPod and get speakers to better listen to them in places other than our car (where we already have a hookup).

So I was browsing iPad speakers on Amazon, and found this promotion -

Get $100 Cash Back from Audible on Kindle, iPods, GPS units, headphones, and other qualifying products

I clicked the Audible Link, signed up to their $14.95/mo plan, and got my $100 Promotional Code! I then applied it to the iPad speakers I wanted, and voila! Free $100 toward iPad speakers! I paid $3.99 shipping to have it sent one-day and I received it yesterday.

Just wanted to share in case others enjoy audiobooks and weren't already Audible members.

That's a great deal...I also had iPad speakers on my list and decided to do it now instead of next month after looking through Audible.com's selections...which are great! Plus - they have a ton a picture books, most less expensive than kindle versions and some are free....!

WOW! Do you have to keep the Audible membership for a certain amount of time?

Well, I just signed up on Monday, and within a few hours I already got the $100 Amazon code, and made my purchase with it! In the Restrictions part, here's what it says:

The AudibleListener Gold membership requires a minimum financial obligation to pay 12 monthly payments, with your initial charge occurring when you register. If you cancel your AudibleListener membership within the first 30 days, you will receive a refund of your initial membership charge and will have no further payment obligations if (a) you return the product to Amazon and (b) you have not used any membership credits or benefits. You may cancel your membership within the first 30 days (and return the product) without further payment obligations even if you have already used a membership credit or benefit, but in that case you will not receive a refund of your initial membership charge. After the first 30 days of your membership, no refunds of membership charges are permitted, and you may cancel your membership only if you fulfill your membership's entire financial obligation. Your Audible Membership is also subject to the
and the

What speakers did you buy? :bigear:

It was a tough choice, and I had it narrowed down to two choices. I read every single review, but in the end, had to go with what my main purpose was, listening to audiobooks in the house.

1. iLuv iMM747 Audio Cube Hi-Fidelity Speaker Dock for iPad, iPad 2, iPhone and iPod

2. Philips Fidelio Docking Speaker iPod, iPhone and iPad, DS7700 - These were more than twice the price, but looked more compact, better sound, and 10 hour rechargeable.

I ended up going with choice #1 for just $80. I was very tempted by #2 due to the rechargeable batteries, but couldn't justify the extra $100 if I only use it for audiobooks in the house.

WooHoo - Joy Hakim's Story of US is on there too - all of the books in the series!

Very cool that they are there. I already started my collection of physical books, but these would be handy in the car. We love listening to history in the car!

I did check for Story of the World and it wasn't on Audible. :( I actually had to purchase SOTW2 on Monday coincidentally, but ordered the mp3 off Peace Hill Press. My daughter begged me to buy it that day when I asked what audiobooks she wanted.

Very cool that they are there. I already started my collection of physical books, but these would be handy in the car. We love listening to history in the car!

I did check for Story of the World and it wasn't on Audible. :( I actually had to purchase SOTW2 on Monday coincidentally, but ordered the mp3 off Peace Hill Press. My daughter begged me to buy it that day when I asked what audiobooks she wanted.

Yeah, I checked for SOTW - more to see if it was there since I just ordered the CD's for 2, 3 and 4 since the price finally dropped on Amazon....and I've got Hakim's set in my cart, waiting since I really don't need it right now, and will probably get it to have the book copies, but am glad to see it is available - like your DD, my DS loves listening to history and a bunch of other stuff in the car. The other day we took DH's car to the grocery store and about half way there remembered that we forgot the CD in my car.

I don't really understand what audible is about. Until today I thought it was just a place to purchase audio, but now I see you need to pay a monthly fee to purchase from audible. Why? Is there no where else to purchase audio books in the mp3 format?

I don't really understand what audible is about. Until today I thought it was just a place to purchase audio, but now I see you need to pay a monthly fee to purchase from audible. Why? Is there no where else to purchase audio books in the mp3 format?

I was wondering the same thing. You pay the monthly fee for access, in addition to the fee for the downloads, too? :confused: Why?

ETA: Not trying to be snarky! We love audiobooks, $100 Amazon discount is awesome, but... what makes Audible special/different?

Edited by Enough

In this plan, you get one free credit a month, which usually amounts to one book. I usually try to choose an expensive audiobook for that choice ($30+) to make my $14.95/mo worth it. Plus the Member Price is an extra discount of 30% off additional books. Many children's books are just around $5, or even less. Plus there's a few freebies they offer.

If you want convenience in ordering from an enormous selection of high quality audiobooks, it's fantastic.

Before this, I was using my library's free Overdrive audiobook. It's a website separate from my main library, but offers hundreds of books in audio format for free. The caveat is that they have to be "available", meaning only one person can check it out at a time. This was a big bummer for me, as most of the books I wanted were on hold. Then, I ended up paying exorbitant prices for audiobooks that I just needed to have for a roadtrip.

Now with Audible, I am encouraged to get more audiobooks than I ever would have before. I think I will probably upgrade to their Platinum Plan, Annual payment, which comes to $9.56 per audiobook and gives 2 per month. I can select the best, enhanced listening format.

From their website:

The average reader gets through only 5 books a year, but the average AudibleListener® member listens to 16 books a year.

Edited by Satori

In this plan, you get one free credit a month, usually amounts to one book. I usually try to choose an expensive audiobook for that choice ($30+) to make my $14.95/mo worth it. Plus the Member Price is an extra discount of 30% off additional books. Plus there's a few free stuff they offer.

If you want convenience in ordering from a large selection of audiobooks, it's great.

Before this, I was using my library's free Overdrive audiobook. It's a website separate from my main library, but offers hundreds of books in audio format for free. The caveat is that they have to be "available", meaning only one person can check it out at a time. This was a big bummer for me, as most of the books I wanted were on hold. Then, I ended up paying exorbitant prices for audiobooks that I just needed to have for a roadtrip.

Now with Audible, I am encouraged to get more audiobooks than I ever would have before. I think I will probably upgrade to their Platinum Plan, Annual payment, which comes to $9.56 per audiobook and gives 2 per month. I can select the best, enhanced listening format.

From their website:

The average reader gets through only 5 books a year, but the average AudibleListener® member listens to 16 books a year.

:thumbup: Okay, I am getting it now! I was having trouble finding nitty-gritty information on the Audible website. I didn't realize that there was a 30% discount on additional books... and your idea to upgrade to the Platinum Plan sounds like a really great deal.

I have some Swagbucks credits burning a hole in my pocket and combined with the $100 Amazon discount.... hmmm, I'm starting to feel like a kid in a candy store :lol:.

I wasn't sure about it myself and starting poking around and with the 1-credit a month you get with the membership, you can choose anything you want with the 1-credit, even audiobooks that cost a lot more, as long as they're 1-credit options (or save your credit until the next month and then use 2-credits for that).

If it were just a membership fee to then buy, I'd probably have passed on it - but I'll easily use the credits on audiobooks that would cost more than the monthly fee....and some of them aren't available as audiobooks anywhere else, like The Story of US. While it is available on Amazon in CD format for the set - the price is $788! It looks like each volume is 1-credit on Audible, or if you pay for it as a member, it's $14.66-$19.66 per volume, depending on volume.

The bigger cost saver in my estimation is going to be the books that go along with SOTW - for example, Julius Caesar: Saddleback Illustrated Classics - if I want to buy the paperback from Amazon, it's $7.95....the audible with synchronized illustrations is $4.87 and DS could listen to it on the iPad rather than me read it aloud. A book like A Story, A Story (that I have a copy of) I paid $5.99 (was part of a $7.99 4-for-3 order I did a while ago).....we read it just a couple of times - on audible it's $1.39 and has the synchronized illustrations - so I could still sit with DS and snuggle as part of our storytime (or he could listen and page through on his own with the iPad), but I would have spent a lot less for it!

After doing some quick math before doing the offer, I realized I'll save more than the cost of the monthly fee.

ETA: cross posted.

On Monday I had two things at the top of my To-Do List.

1. Join Audible.com

2. Get iPad speakers

I've been reading aloud at least an hour a day if you include everything. My voice gets hoarse after reading aloud after 30 minutes. So a foray into more audiobooks was definitely in the plan for the week. Plus we spend a lot of time driving and going on road trips and love audiobooks. My plan was to join Audible, then download books to my iPad, iPhone/iPod and get speakers to better listen to them in places other than our car (where we already have a hookup).

So I was browsing iPad speakers on Amazon, and found this promotion -

Get $100 Cash Back from Audible on Kindle, iPods, GPS units, headphones, and other qualifying products

I clicked the Audible Link, signed up to their $14.95/mo plan, and got my $100 Promotional Code! I then applied it to the iPad speakers I wanted, and voila! Free $100 toward iPad speakers! I paid $3.99 shipping to have it sent one-day and I received it yesterday.

Just wanted to share in case others enjoy audiobooks and weren't already Audible members.

Ok, wait--for $15, you get a $100 Amazon card? Does it HAVE to be used for ipad speakers, or is that just what you chose? :bigear:

Ok, wait--for $15, you get a $100 Amazon card? Does it HAVE to be used for ipad speakers, or is that just what you chose? :bigear:

You have to sign up for a year- monthly membership is $15- so for $180 you get a $100 Amazon card. ;) (And access to awesome audiobooks!) It's limited to certain tech-y stuff (mp3 players, tablets, speakers etc).

I was a member for a while - I really liked it and felt it was worth the money - I only suspended my membership because I had some catching up to do on listening to all the books I got :-) And I was trying to cut some things from my budget...

I keep thinking about rejoining. It seems like maybe the terms have changed though? I think I got two credits a month for that price. Although maybe my monthly price was higher. I can't remember - nope, I just checked my quicken files, and I paid $14.95 a month and got two credits for two free books a month - I also got the amazon $100 credit when I signed up - they've been doing that a long time - I bought an MP3 player with it - a decent midrange mp3 player but with the credit, the mp3 player was completely free.

I have a trial membership set to expire, but i can't figure out how to get the promo. I just emailed them so hopefully I'll get a code or i guess i'll cancel.

I think I'll try it for 3 months at $7.49 per month before committing for 12 months. I can get one free audiobook per month so now I have to figure out if I should get a historical fiction or a history book. That promo for $100 is good until January 2012.

Angela, what books did you get on that monthly credit that was more than $30?

Actually, I only bought one, but I started up a Wishlist that had books I wanted that were over $20/30. I'm cleaning the house right now, but I'll share them in a bit.