Menu

Leif Ericson

I think it may have to do with where most curricula divide their history cycles KWIM. Leif is much earlier than Columbus and may fall more into the time period before early American history. I do think he is important and I have seen curricula that include him with early American History.

I went to elementary school in WI and we learned about him.

I was helping my neighbor school her kids with MFW last year and I remember reading about him then too.

I agree, though, he's not prevalent in US history.

ETA: Here in NM, *our* US history starts with Cornado!

Totally OT, my street name is Leif Ericson, and there so many ways it is spelled. Just a thought. :D

No kidding. I have no idea what the "correct" spelling of his name is.

I used Beautiful Feet American History and Leif Ericson was the first book we read (the D'Aulaire book). I remember learning about him in elementary school in the 60s - I suppose it depends on your school, teacher, region, etc. He's certainly not forgotten around here.

We just read this book yesterday and enjoyed it so much!

I don't really remember learning about him in school (although I could have forgotten) but my thought is that since they didn't stay in America, maybe that is why we don't really put much focus on him. ?

Prentice Hall's America (our edition used in the late 90s):

"In fact, Columbus was not even the first European to land in the Americas. Norse voyagers, led by Leif Ericson, claimed that distinction around 1000, when they set up a small, short-lived settlement on what is now Newfoundland."

The sentences before and after that are all about Columbus. Ericson's name is on a timeline. The End. :glare:

I never learned about him in school! I would never have know about him if it weren't for sponge bob. Is that sad or what? Our history started with Columbus discovering America (and my dad always saying Columbus didn't discover America, he landed somewhere around Cuba). And earlier when I kept trying to find things to help me with my American history timeline, everything started with Columbus or Native Americans... no Leif anywhere.

One other thought on it is that yes the Vikings Discovered North America before Columbus but much of Europe was unaware of this discovery. In fact many still thought the earth was flat and had no idea that there was other land out there. So in a sense Columbus opened up that area of discovery to most of Europe including England where many of the early Americans came from.

Edited by twoxcell

Funny, here in the Scandinavian-settled northland, Leif Erikson is everywhere. The YMCA camp is named for him, eg. Maybe it is regional?

We talk about him more in Canada, or at least here in Eastern Canada as well. We're also big a John Cabot. :) Columbus gets a mentioned much less.

One other thought on it is that yes the Vikings Discovered North America before Columbus but much of Europe was unaware of this discovery. In fact many still thought the earth was flat and had no idea that there was other land out there. So in a sense Columbus opened up that area of discovery to most of Europe including England where many of the early Americans came from.

The bolded is not really true.

http://www.bede.org.uk/flatearth.htm

It is true that Columbus opened that part of the world to trade with and settlement by large numbers of Europeans.

I frequently see him mentioned in American history books. However, as far as history goes, his voyage was a dead end, as in very little or nothing of historical importance came from it. However, Columbus' voyage was a different story.

Well if they didn't think it was flat they were at least scared of traveling out into the sea. Thanks for the link by the way. Also from what I understood Columbus himself simply thought the world was smaller and had no idea that North and South America existed.

Edited by twoxcell

Totally OT, my street name is Leif Ericson, and there so many ways it is spelled. Just a thought. :D

No kidding. I have no idea what the "correct" spelling of his name is.

In Sweden we would spell it Leif Eriksson. But spelling in Swedish has changed so much that we don't know that that is how he spelled it (in all probability he didn't spell it at all) :D

Yep, genocide generally does make a bigger impact.

Whether there was "genocide" or not depends on your POV. Nevertheless, good or bad, Columbus set out for the purpose of discovering a new world, and he told people about it. Leif Ericson set out for a cruise.

Whether there was "genocide" or not depends on your POV. Nevertheless, good or bad, Columbus set out for the purpose of discovering a new world, and he told people about it. Leif Ericson set out for a cruise.

To start with, there was no "discovery". He knew it was here. He wasn't the only one that knew.

Edited: genocide may not have been the intent, but it's what happened. Has nothing to do with POV.

Edited by mommaduck

"In fact, Columbus was not even the first European to land in the Americas. Norse voyagers, led by Leif Ericson, claimed that distinction around 1000, when they set up a small, short-lived settlement on what is now Newfoundland."

L’Anse au Meadows is now a wonderful tourist attraction. I'm looking forward to taking my kids when we visit NF in a couple years. (I visited as a teen.)

Edited by MelanieM

This is about the only thing I remember from school. We were learning about Columbus. I insisted that a Viking discovered America before he did. I was told I was wrong. I then proved it! I was then told that it didn't count, the reasons for it not counting included, "He didn't name it America", and "He was just exploring". :confused:

This is about the only thing I remember from school. We were learning about Columbus. I insisted that a Viking discovered America before he did. I was told I was wrong. I then proved it! I was then told that it didn't count, the reasons for it not counting included, "He didn't name it America", and "He was just exploring". :confused:

Columbus didn't name it America. In fact originally he didn't even know where he was.:lol:

Differing viewpoints of that. We can let it go now.

Now WAIT a minute!!! I should have said physical proof, there are intriguing written hints for both men. We have the viking settlement in Newfoundland after all. Is there physical proof of St. Brendan's visit? I'd love to know if there is or if there's something that might be.

Don't take that as meaning I've contempt for the idea of St. Brenden's visit, just that I'm guessing that's why Leif gets the glory.

Now WAIT a minute!!! I should have said physical proof, there are intriguing written hints for both men. We have the viking settlement in Newfoundland after all. Is there physical proof of St. Brendan's visit? I'd love to know if there is or if there's something that might be.

Don't take that as meaning I've contempt for the idea of St. Brenden's visit, just that I'm guessing that's why Leif gets the glory.

There are writings of St. Brenden.

I was not peeved, nor did I think you were. :) Just didn't want to wander down that trail.

Here is one brief article:

http://www.celticorthodoxchurch.com/inamerica.html

The hosting website's organization is not one which I recommend. I just happened to remember that Fr. Alexey Young, from ROCOR, had written an article, and this webpage turned up when I searched for him.

A longer article about St. Brendan is on a computer which scarcely turns on any more. I need to transfer over my documents before it becomes too late to do so.

Every American History book I've ever used starts with him. :001_huh:

I went to public school here in WA and I never did hear about Leif Ericson in school. We learned about Columbus in first grade.

My history education was ridiculously lacking. It horrifies me just thinking of it.

Maybe regional, maybe whacked-out educational weirdness (yes, that's a technical term;))...who knows. If it's of any interest, I started K in '80.