Menu

I thought it might be good to make a listing of exams, competitions and olympiads that middle schoolers are eligible to participate in.

AMC math competitions AMC 8 Exam date in November

Exploratory Latin Exam Register NLT March; administer exam by April 1.

National Latin Exam (for more advanced Latin students than the ELE)

National Mythology Exam Register by January; administer exam Feb-Mar.

North American Computational Linguistics Olympiad Geared to high school students, but accepts middle school students too.

Please add on others that you are familiar with.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

I thought it might be good to make a listing of exams, competitions and olympiads that middle schoolers are eligible to participate in.

AMC math competitions AMC 8 Exam date in November

Is it my imagination or are they less homeschool friendly than they used to be?

Q. #10. How do we get our organization (home schools, learning centers, testing center, etc.) involved in the AMC contests?

A. #10. We prefer to offer our contest to public schools, a few government accredited private schools, colleges and universities. Before allowing other organizations to register for the contests, we would like to do further research about your academic structure. In order for us to do the required research, please provide American Math Competitions with complete information about your organization, including:

Organization Name

Contact Person

Email Address

Complete Address, City, State and Zip

Accreditation

Student Population

Website

Also include any other information helpful in our research.

Is it my imagination or are they less homeschool friendly than they used to be?

Wow, that is odd. When I see things like this for competitions it makes me think that a) the group has gotten burned by someone claiming to be homeschooled in order to get around preliminary competitions or that b) their goals are more about promoting changes to school curriculum than promoting excellence among individuals. And I'm usually struck by how little rulemakers tend to understand about home education (like that the vast majority of homeschools are not accredited).

I haven't done the AMC competitions before. So I don't know just how homeschool friendly they are or are not (is this the same group that does Math Counts?). I guess I'll find out. I do think it is odd that there wasn't a link to this requirement under the Homeschool Admin tab.

Wow, that is odd. When I see things like this for competitions it makes me think that a) the group has gotten burned by someone claiming to be homeschooled in order to get around preliminary competitions or that b) their goals are more about promoting changes to school curriculum than promoting excellence among individuals. And I'm usually struck by how little rulemakers tend to understand about home education (like that the vast majority of homeschools are not accredited).

It's reason (a). In recent years, there have been quite a few instances of people pulling strong students from several schools & forming 'super-teams', and sometimes calling themselves homeschoolers. It does stink that now homeschoolers have to give proof of homeschooling before competing, but I don't really see any other good way around the problem. Hopefully it will put an end once and for all to the cheaters.

I haven't done the AMC competitions before. So I don't know just how homeschool friendly they are or are not (is this the same group that does Math Counts?). I guess I'll find out. I do think it is odd that there wasn't a link to this requirement under the Homeschool Admin tab.

MathCounts is strictly a middle school program. The AMC contests are a distinct entity, and they cover middle through high school kids. AMCs are the math olympiad contests in the US, just like the chemistry or biology olympiads. Students who perform well progress through different levels of the competitions, culminating with the selection of the team which represents the US every summer in the IMO (international math olympiad). The AMC folks have a tradition of being very welcoming to homeschoolers, and homeschoolers frequently reach the highest levels of the competition and even compete on the US olympiad team. Our experience over the last twelve years as homeschoolers has been nothing but positive.

It's reason (a). In recent years, there have been quite a few instances of people pulling strong students from several schools & forming 'super-teams', and sometimes calling themselves homeschoolers. It does stink that now homeschoolers have to give proof of homeschooling before competing, but I don't really see any other good way around the problem. Hopefully it will put an end once and for all to the cheaters.

MathCounts is strictly a middle school program. The AMC contests are a distinct entity, and they cover middle through high school kids. AMCs are the math olympiad contests in the US, just like the chemistry or biology olympiads. Students who perform well progress through different levels of the competitions, culminating with the selection of the team which represents the US every summer in the IMO (international math olympiad). The AMC folks have a tradition of being very welcoming to homeschoolers, and homeschoolers frequently reach the highest levels of the competition and even compete on the US olympiad team. Our experience over the last twelve years as homeschoolers has been nothing but positive.[/QUOTE]

That is good. I sent them an email requesting authorization to participate. I thought the guidance at the FAQ was a little odd (requesting student population and accredidation for homeschools seems like trying to fit the into an ill fitting category).

And while I understand how the Math Counts folks could be frustrated and irritated at what they perceive as an end run around the school competition process, I have always shook my head a bit. In my mind it could have been just as good to promote lots of community teams (scouts, churches, Boys & Girls clubs, neighborhood groups, STEM related businesses, etc) that would expand the opportunity for participation beyond the pool of willing schools. Would that allow the creation of superteams? Maybe. But it would also allow for interested community groups to do an end run around schools that weren't up to participating. Sigh.

AMC I'm not too worried about -- we've done it for three years now, being perfectly transparent about who we are and what our proctoring arrangements will be each time, and we haven't had any trouble... My guess is that they just don't want a single family registering as a school, but a homeschool group would be fine.

And while I understand how the Math Counts folks could be frustrated and irritated at what they perceive as an end run around the school competition process, I have always shook my head a bit. In my mind it could have been just as good to promote lots of community teams (scouts, churches, Boys & Girls clubs, neighborhood groups, STEM related businesses, etc) that would expand the opportunity for participation beyond the pool of willing schools. Would that allow the creation of superteams? Maybe. But it would also allow for interested community groups to do an end run around schools that weren't up to participating. Sigh.

Mathcounts is still up in the air for this year I think... I haven't heard back from our local coordinator, anyway. We'll participate as individuals if we have to, but it really does make it virtually impossible for us to advance to state from our uber-competitive chapter (moving us from "snowball's chance" to "not even a snowball's chance..." LOL)

They're both worth the effort, even if the rules can be frustrating at times!

AMC I'm not too worried about -- we've done it for three years now, being perfectly transparent about who we are and what our proctoring arrangements will be each time, and we haven't had any trouble... My guess is that they just don't want a single family registering as a school, but a homeschool group would be fine.

Mathcounts is still up in the air for this year I think... I haven't heard back from our local coordinator, anyway. We'll participate as individuals if we have to, but it really does make it virtually impossible for us to advance to state from our uber-competitive chapter (moving us from "snowball's chance" to "not even a snowball's chance..." LOL)

They're both worth the effort, even if the rules can be frustrating at times!

Ds placed 4th in individuals in our chapter. It is sort of frustrating knowing that at least 5 of the people advancing to the state level scored lower than you. (I'm pretty sure that the top 2 teams and (or including) the top 3 individuals advanced. It was over a yr ago and those sorts of details are fuzzy now.)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

The Duke TIP program allows 7th graders with qualifying standardized test scores to take the SAT. www.tip.duke.edu

Any student can sign up to take the SAT or ACT - they don't need any prior test scores. I did not know this the first year my oldest participated in the talent search. If I had, I could have saved about $35 in testing fees by registering directly with the College Board (for the SAT) or the ACT folks.

If your child is under the age of 13, you need to register via snail mail. Most libraries have SAT registration forms. If your child is 13 years of age or older, you can create an account for him with the College Board and sign up over the internet.

All scores taken during the middle school years are deleted unless you specify in writing that you would like the scores retained.

Any student can sign up to take the SAT or ACT - they don't need any prior test scores. I did not know this the first year my oldest participated in the talent search. If I had, I could have saved about $35 in testing fees by registering directly with the College Board (for the SAT) or the ACT folks.

If your child is under the age of 13, you need to register via snail mail. Most libraries have SAT registration forms. If your child is 13 years of age or older, you can create an account for him with the College Board and sign up over the internet.

All scores taken during the middle school years are deleted unless you specify in writing that you would like the scores retained.

For CTY (I don't know about TIP or the others), parents may parent-nominate students for eligibility for testing for talent searches w/o prior testing if they believe their student is in the top 5% of students. http://cty.jhu.edu/bin/o/e/nomination.pdf (that is how I signed up my ds)

Since we tested through CTY's form for the talent search, I'm not sure if you can test and then submit the scores. I do not believe that that approach is possible, however I may be incorrect.

Of course, testing and not pursuing the talent search option is obviously an alternative plan.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Since we tested through CTY's form for the talent search, I'm not sure if you can test and then submit the scores.

Your middle schooler can register for the SAT/ACT directly with the testing company and still participate in the talent search programs if qualifying scores are obtained. I just faxed in the hard copy of the SAT score that I received in the mail from the College Board to CTY - as I write this, my oldest is at CTY summer camp.

Your middle schooler can register for the SAT/ACT directly with the testing company and still participate in the talent search programs if qualifying scores are obtained. I just faxed in the hard copy of the SAT score that I received in the mail from the College Board to CTY - as I write this, my oldest is at CTY summer camp.

Is it that they are simply still eligible to participate in CTY programs or that they are eligible for the talent search?

Is it that they are simply still eligible to participate in CTY programs or that they are eligible for the talent search?

I am not sure I am understanding your question correctly, so please let me know if I misunderstood.:confused:

If you register your child directly with the testing company, your child's scores won't be be included in the talent search statistics or awards, but the student is still eligible for SET, and they can participate in all of the CTY programs.

I am not sure I am understanding your question correctly, so please let me know if I misunderstood.:confused:

If you register your child directly with the testing company, your child's scores won't be be included in the talent search statistics or awards, but the student is still eligible for SET, and they can participate in all of the CTY programs.

Yes, that is what I was asking. I knew they could still take advantage of the classes and camps. I thought they would be ineligible for the regular and Grand ceremonies but wasn't sure. I didn't realize they could still participate in SET, though. That is good to know.

• 2 months later...

[snip]

Please add on others that you are familiar with.

I got an email today about two more academic exams that I'd not heard of before:

National Classical Entymology Exam (testing knowledge of roots and derivatives, new division for students with no background in Latin and Greek). The registration deadline is October 15, 2011

National Roman Civilization Exam

Having gone through the sample exam for NRCE, it looks like it would be quite a challenge. Not impossible, but requiring more than casual familiarity.

If you go to the National Junior Classical League homepage, both of these exams are under Academic Contests and then NJCL Online Exams.

National French Exam:

http://www.frenchteachers.org/concours/

STEM Competition called eCybermission:

https://www.ecybermission.com/public/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx

West Point Bridge design competition:

http://bridgecontest.usma.edu/download2011.htm

Future City competition:

http://www.futurecity.org/

OOH the bridge design competition looks really cool. And you can use last year's program to practice/play around.

I got an email today about two more academic exams that I'd not heard of before:

National Classical Entymology Exam (testing knowledge of roots and derivatives, new division for students with no background in Latin and Greek). The registration deadline is October 15, 2011

National Roman Civilization Exam

Having gone through the sample exam for NRCE, it looks like it would be quite a challenge. Not impossible, but requiring more than casual familiarity.

If you go to the National Junior Classical League homepage, both of these exams are under Academic Contests and then NJCL Online Exams.

Thanks for this. I just signed up for the Etymology one! Dds are excited. :001_smile:

• 1 month later...

I wanted to post a follow up. I did get a prompt reply from the AMC folks, saying that it was no problem for us to register as a group and to give the test. We did have to have a proctor who wasn't related to the students testing.

I had a hard time coming up with a proctor (I'll start earlier next year). But I was able to eventually get hooked up with a private study group that was administering the test. (This was a connection I found through the secondary schools listing at the AMC website.) We treked to the other side of town and took the test with them.

All in all, I think it was an interesting experience and one we'll pursue again.

A friend of mine found this one: National History Bee. It seems to be a newer competition. Homeschoolers can take the qualifying test at a local registered public school (I don't know how hard this will be to coordinate).

History Day Competition This one has been around for several decades. Competition at the local level and then state level.

• 5 months later...
Has anyone here participated in this? Is it homeschool friendly? My dd was reading over my shoulder and was really excited about doing a project.

My ds has done this for two years. I think the set-up depends on your state, but we found it to be very homeschool friendly. The students can compete either as individuals or as small groups.