Menu

How do you plan lapbooks?

I'm still a newbie for lapbooking. We don't do them often as unit studies are not our preferred way of learning. However, this week we are doing school-lite at my parents house. Since they live in LA, I thought it would be a good time to do a unit study/lapbook about LA, instead of bringing science and history books. I did minimal research for resources before we started. I decide day to day what we will learn about and what we will add to it. Sometimes I feel like I should be more organized about it, but I don't want to make the whole thing before we start.

So how do you handle prep/organization for lapbooks? I know I should probably read some of the books about them, but our library does not carry them and I don't have the $ to spend on them.

I usually pick ones from Hands of a Child that go along with what we are already studing-that way all don't have to do too much planning. Then we do 2-3 of the mini books per day.

For my youngest I just discovered preschool packs from homeschool creations and we are enjoying those (free lapbooks with matching worksheets). With those ones I put books on hold at the library that match the theme, and plan a couple crafts to match and away we go.