Menu

Care to share 6th grade plans?

The recent 5th grade and 7th grade threads made me want to do a 6th grade one. :D

For 2011-2012, my 6th grader will be doing:

Math: Singapore 4B/5A; Life of Fred Fractions; Life of Fred Decimals/Percents

Writing: Finish Remedia Outlining book, then WWE 4 (I think--need to give placement test)

Grammar: Grammar Town and Practice Town

Latin: Latin for Children B/C (carryover from last year)

Logic: Logic Countdown (carryover from last year), then Logic Liftoff

Literature: Ancients reading list drawn from SOTW 1 activity guide and whatever else I come up with from the library; oral discussion per WTM on a few

History: History Odyssey Level 2 Ancients (carryover from last year)

Science: Singapore Interactive Science (old version--gonna give this a shot, and see what happens); labs at co-op (hopefully)

Memory work: IEW's poetry memorization, level 2 (maybe 3 also)

Music: choir, music theory, trombone at music co-op

Ds is also in Scouts, youth group, and we may do canoeing class. He'll also get a couple more exploratory/enrichment things at our new co-op.

Anyone else want to share?

Edited by LanaTron
forgot logic and outlining book

My dd will be in 6th grade next year. The plan is:

Math: Horizons 4; Life of Fred Fractions; Life of Fred Decimals/Percents--she is behind in this subject but I have high hopes for next year

Writing: Meaningful Composition, possibly WWE 4 or WWS, we will see

Grammar: Grammar Town and Practice Town

Spelling: AAS

Vocab: MCT- can't remember the name off the top of my head, the one that goes with town level

Latin: Latina Christiana (if we do it, I have all the stuff, just not sure yet)

French: Mission Monde (have stuff just not sure of scheduling yet)

Greek: Hey Andrew(same at latin and french, have stuff but still figuring out logistics)

Literature: Sonlight core 100 with core 3 readers/read alouds added in

History: Sonlight core 100 with core 3 books, time travelers cd's and Canadian history (plan last year got derailed so getting back on track next year)

Science: Finish off Earth Science (finish water cycle and do weather), then Physical Science (magnetism, sound, light, electricity) and lastly a unit on the Human body and reproduction

Memory work: Harp and Laurel Wreath selections

Music: Violin and Piano lessons, composer study

Art: Artisitic Pursuits, artist study

Religion: Sonlight Bible 100 and Christian Studies II

She will also be participating in the nature society, archery club, dance, gymnastics, swim team, 4-H (baking and outdoor clubs) and possibly cadets. Of course not all of those happen in the same seasons.

ETA: I forgot about penmanship- HWOT cursive, Logic- Building thinking skills, and typing- typing tutor

Edited by swellmomma

dd12 is currently in our 2011-2012 year.

Math - Teaching Textbooks 6 with additional practice from Math Mammoth when needed.

Grammar - R&S 6 mostly taught on whiteboard and orally.

Spelling - an amalgamation of spelling lists with Sequential Spelling being the main one. Adapted instruction to best suite her VSL style.

Vocabulary - I haven't decided yet but I'm looking at the free program from Trivium Pursuit that Hunter linked. Instruction would need to be adapted heavily since she doesn't do rote memorization.

Writing - IEW SWI B with writing across the curriculum.

Reading Comprehension - CLE Reading 6. (Not sure we are sticking with this...the jury is still out.)

History - Time Travelers History Studies in addition to literature tied to the time period.

Science - Interest Projects. Currently she is working on a study of horses (a common topic of study here). She is doing a lapbook and in addition she wants to do a project board presentation of the history of the Lippizanner, a small report and diorama on the wild horses of Colorado and an informational poster about horses being used in bull fighting (not quite sure where she got the idea for this one?). We are going to research together coat color genetics and the history of the breeding industry. She is also going to listen to an audio book of The King of the Wind and make an oil painting of a favorite scence in the book, and bake a carrot cake decorated with a scene from Misty of Chincoteaque. (:tongue_smilie:... that's me licking my lips!)

Literature - I haven't finished compiling my list yet but all analysis will come just from Socratic discussion.

Art - She does tons of art on her own and I instruct her in drawing and painting. We focus on one artist a month. She also takes cake decorating classes and various art classes occasionally.

Music - Just using the website Classics for Kids in an informal way.

She is also in Girl Souts.

For my 6th grade DS:

Math: MM6A/6B or AoPS Pre-Alg1, SM CWP4,5

Vocabulary: MCT CE (finish 1 and start 20

LA: WWS1, MCT Voyage level but finishing up Paragraph Town writing, AAL, Daily Paragraph Editing 6, Sentence Composing for Middle Grades

Art: Pottery, cartooning class

Music: piano keyboard?

Spelling: SWR

Science: ACS Middle School Chemistry, Life Science, Exploration Education

History: Middle Ages w/ K12HO, maybe also HO

PE: Travel soccer, TKD

Literature: Lightening Lit 7, historical fiction, a few Teaching the Classics books thrown in, LLfLOTR to go w/ Middle Ages

Latin???? If we do it, which isn't likely, Latin for the New Millennium

Logic: Haven't decided....BTS Figural/Verbal or Art of Argument

Edited by Capt_Uhura

Math: Finish Saxon 7/6, move to 8/7

History/Lit: Finish SL 6, move to SL 7

US History: We're reading through Complete Book of World History & American Stories

Writing: WTM writing, Writing with Skill, Killgallon Sentence Composing

Spelling: Sequential Spelling

Grammar: Rod & Staff 6

Geography: Map Trek & Evan Moor's 7 Continent Series (we'll make it through 3 books this year, I think)

Science: Hakim's Story of Science & Milestones in Science kit

Latin: Latin Alive 1

Greek: finish Elementary Greek 1, move into EG2

Logic: Fallacy Detective & Thinking Toolbox, Orbiting With Logic

Music: Young Scholar's Guide to the Composers

He attends a 1 day a week enrichment program with art, science, PE and other activities, takes Judo & tumbling/power trampoline gymnastics, and takes piano lessons. Dh also leads us in a family Bible study in the mornings.

Ohh goodie...I play now!

I've been mulling over our schedule for a few weeks now and I'm still not 100% on all our choices but here goes (in no particular order):

Math: MM5A/5B; LoF Fractions/LoF Decimals & Percents

Science: Interest led science beginning with the MIT kitchen chemistry course.

Literature: Ancients/Middle Ages literature focus with some classics thrown in. Using SWB's suggestions for literature analysis

English/Grammar/Writing: MCT LA/Bravewriter combo or MCT/WWS/AAL combo (I'd love to them all, but something inside me does think it's crazy.....this will be the hardest decision to make for this year)

History: WTM logic stage history recommendations

Geography: MapTrek and blackline maps

Spanish: DIY Spanish mainly through immersion

Logic: Building Thinking Skills

Picture/Artist Study: ala Charlotte Mason

Music Study:ala Charlotte Mason and piano instruction

Art: Harmony Art Mom or Drawing with Children

Bringing up the rear will be our study of 2 Shakespeare plays, recitation/oral composition, memory work, and typing.

Edited by PenKase

Math: Saxon 7/6 and Life of Fred Decimals and Percents

English: Shurley English 6

Science: Holt Science and Technology Life Science, twice a month classes at nature center, participate in Science Olympiad

Literature: Lightning Lit and Composition 7, book club at library

Spanish: REAL Homeschool Spanish plus educacion espanola through Discovery Streaming

History: k12 Human Odyssey, parts of vol. 1 and 2 plus supplemental material (to cover Middle Ages)

Art: class at our group enrichment day weekly

PE: PE class at our group enrichment day weekly, once a month at Boys and Girls Club and weekly aikido class

She will also have Girl Scouts.

I love posts like these - then I can double check I'm not forgetting anything.

math: SM 6A/6B

science: BJU 7 (I really hope we get into the co-op class for this one!)

history/lit: SL 6

writing: home2teach.com

grammar: Easy Grammar

vocab: Dynamic Literacy (I can't wait to start this!!!)

spelling: Spelling Power

Spanish: Rosetta Stone

geography: Visual World Geography

logic: mindbenders

music: piano, trombone in hs band

Bible: AWANA, Balancing the Sword

co-op: fun stuff!

He also has boy scouts and (hopefully) swim team.

Edited by Boxing Hare

We're stretching 6th grade out over a two year period for a variety of reasons, so we're supplementing our main curriculum with a couple of things to round things out in the meanwhile.

We're using:

Oak Meadow 6 Ancient Civilizations and English (integrated Language Arts and Social Studies)

Story of the World Volume 1 Ancient Times (we've already been doing this over the summers when we weren't too busy with main curriculum, but now that we're stretching 6th grade out, we'll incorporate it over school year, too).

Story Grammar for Elementary School (we did Sentence Composing For Elementary School last year).

Oak Meadow 6 Basic Life Science

Teaching Textbooks Math 6 (plus Life of Fred Fractions 1X a week to see how we like it).

Meet The Masters (art)

Typing Instructor For Kids Platinum

Getting Started With Spanish

She will also be using the free health curriculum at kidshealth.org for health, beginning to cook using the Rachael Ray "Cooking Rocks!" cookbook, taking up guitar lessons for music, and continuing weekly Judo classes for P.E. She will also be continuing with Girl Scouts (becoming a Cadette this year).

This is what my 6th grade ds son will be doing. I can't believe he's going into 6th grade!

Sonlight 5 - History, Science, Literature, Reading

CLE Math/R&S Math?/Hands on Equations

Saxon Grammar

IEW Writing Class (Outsourced)

SRA's Spelling Mastery

EPS Reading Comprehension through Varied Subject Matter

Wordsmart Vocabulary Software

La Clase Divertida & Spanish vocabulary cd-rom

IEW Poetry Memorization

Mindbenders

Mark Kistler's Online Drawing Lessons

Extracurricular: Swim Team, Boy Scouts

After a year of public school we're redoing 6th at home.

Math: MUS Zeta

Science: Noeo Physics II

Reading: a list of books w/ various lit guides

Language Arts: Classical Writing's Aesop & Homer for Older Students/Word Roots

Grammar: Harvey's Grammar (goes with A&H)

Spelling: Sequential Spelling

History: HO Ancients level 2

Italian: Rosetta Stone + immersion

We're still solidifying the co-op schedule for next year but he'll have his "extras" there.

math - MM, LOF

spelling - AAS

writing - WWE/WWS

logic - still not sure, but probably critical thinking

Typing -

art - Class?? Sister Wendy disks

history - History Odyssey level 2 middle ages

science - biology for logic

latin - Lively latin

grammar - Advanced Language Lessons

She'll also be in soccer and most likely kung fu, and we've done art classes in the past so may do again, but she's also showing interest in photography so we may do something with that this year.

I'm also still working things out but here's where I am at this point:

Math: continue with Mastering Mathmatics, add in either Primary Challenge Math (doing the Einstein levels) or Challenge Math (we have both bks on hand)

Science: General Science via a co-op

History: TruthQuest Ren/Ref (lead a co-op) w/a trip to Renaissance Fair!, might even do related lapbooks from A Journey Through Learning

English:

Literature: read lit for TQ, discuss, begin analysis work? use?

Writing: TQ notetaking, outlines for history reading, papers via TQ ThinkWrites, ?finish Rod & Staff Eng 5 or WWS (still debating if he is beyond WWS level 1 or not)

Grammar: might skip this if we finish R&S Eng 5, considering Adv Lang Lessons but he might be beyond it, use Editor in Chief software for fun/review/challenge!

Spelling: finish Megawords bk 3, start bk 4

Vocab: ?use Megawords for this?, take words from hist/lit readings?, play vocab roots games

Penmenship: cursive handwriting (not sure which workbk yet)

Logic: finish Mindbenders software, finish Thinking Toolbox (if not already done), ?Fallacy Detective and/or ?Traditional Logic

Foreign Lang: Rossetta Stone Polish or German (we have both)

?Music: Piano lessons ??

Boy Scouts

Lego Mindstorms club

?Martial Arts class

For my 6th grade DS:

Math: Singapore Std. 6a/6b - considering Lial'c BCM

LA: WWS, MCT Voyage, ALL, Daily Paragraph Editing 6

Art: Sculpture

Music: Piano

Spelling: Apples and Pears

Science: Exploration Education

History: Finish up Ancients and start Middle ages w/ K12HO

Literature: Lightening Lit 7, LLfLOTR or The Hobit lit guide from MBTP

Latin: First Form maybe...

Logic: Not sure yet!

This is the plan so far, but I never really know how tings are going to shake out until we actually get started.

Math: Teaching Textbooks 7 with Life of Fred Fractions on Fridays (maybe?)

Writing: Writing With Skill (We've never done WWE so we might have to go back and do some of that first. I'm just going to play it by ear.)

Vocab: MCT Caesar's English II (We did the first book last year and loved it!)

Grammar: Advanced Language Lessons

History: Story of the World 4 with the Activity Guide. We'll also be pausing to do a unit study on WWII when we get to it in SOTW since ds looooves all things WWII.

Science: Starting out with the Intellego Electricity & Magnetism unit study with TOPS experiments. I plan on doing other unit studies on rocks/plate tectonics, astronomy, and botany (Ellen McHenry), but we might not get to all of them.

Typing: Typing Instructor Platinum

PE: Mixed martial arts class

Extras: Logic Liftoff (logic), Philosophy for Kids (philosophy), Classics for Kids (music) ... We just do these occasionally.

Possibly Japanese too (casually with Tell Me More or Rosetta Stone), but I'm not sure about that yet.

Math: Saxon 7/6, Life of Fred Fractions, Life of Fred Decimals

Science: FLVS Adv. Comprehensive Science 1

Spanish: FLVS Intermediate Spanish

English: FLVS Adv. English 7, MCT Grammar Voyage, Galore Park SYRWTL English 2

History: Galore Park SYRWTL History 1 & 2

Literature: LLLotR, Kolbe Jr. High Lit.

Guitar (all year) volleyball (fall) cross country (spring)

Edited by Melissa B

Your science choices--this is what we'll resort to if my current plans don't work out. It didn't work so well with my elder two, but I think they were too old for that kit when i was having them do it--I think 5th/6th grade is more appropriate.

I'm still working through this, trying to figure things out. I'm not 100% decided yet, but this is what I'm thinking so far:

Literature: Figuratively Speaking and a list of books I'm putting together

Grammar: Giggly Guide to Grammar and/or Winston Grammar wit Daily Language Review and Diagramming Sentences book

Cursive Practice: Daily Handwriting Practice

Writing: Winning with Writing 6 and maybe Writing With Skill (still looking it over)

Spelling: The Spell of Words or Spelling Plus with Dictation

Math: CLE Grade 6

History: SOTW Vol. 4 with AG

Science: McHenry's The Elements and ACS Middle School Chemistry OR Mr. Q's new chemistry (need to see Mr. Q's first to decide)

Geography: Evan Moor 7 Continents Series and maybe MapTrek

Logic: Building Thinking Skills Book 2

Latin: Lively Latin

Italian: if we do it, very casually; already have Rosetta Stone so we'll use that

Art: probably combination of Draw Squad, Artistic Pursuits, How to Teach Art to Children

Music: not sure

He does Boy Scouts and wants to start Sea Cadets. He likes to play soccer, but it wasn't in the budget this year.

Literature: Bob Schultz books (Boyhood and Beyond, Created for Work, Practical Happiness) and a list of books I'm still working on

Grammar: Easy Grammar

Cursive Practice: lots of practice.

Writing: Story Grammar for Elementary School, Jump In, and maybe Writing With Skill.

Need to set them all out and make a decision. Also dug out my copy of writing tales to look at.

Spelling: Spelling Plus also Homophones book

Math: TT 6 and Life of Fred

History: SOTW Vol 1

Science: McHenry's The Elements (might stretch out or might go to others after…)

Geography: Study of the US states…. No idea what format yet though.

Language: Sign Language

Art: Mark Kistler’s art. Plus planned museum visits (doing the free stuff for now, deciding if I want to pay for his site.)

Computer Programming: HTML 5, 24 hour trainer Book (working with his dad on this)

Woodshop: his dad will do this, probably using ana white site as inspiration.

He does Boy Scouts and is determined to get Eagle before age 15-16. Spends spare time on requirements and merit badges

No interest in music or sports. He does so much outdoor stuff already, I'm not too worried about it.

Here's ours for 11yo ds:

ENGLISH:

READING - REWARDS Intermediate Reading (working on fluency and decoding multi-syllable words); Pathways Readers

WRITING - Wordsmith Apprentice, along with some Freewriting

SPELLING - Megawords 1 (When REWARDS is completed)

GRAMMAR - Abeka Oral Language Lessons. Debating what to do after that: Rod & Staff or Winston

HANDWRITING - This has been seriously neglected. Must start back up with Handwriting Without Tears, I guess.

MATH:

Teaching Textbooks 6

SCIENCE:

LIFE - Diversity kit, Microscope

PHYSICAL - Electricity - Snap Circuits

EARTH - Extreme Environments kit

HISTORY/GEOGRAPHY:

Finish Courage & Conquest + Story of the World 4

Apple Press Map book

Study another country

GERMAN:

Das Ist Deutsch

BIBLE:

Our 24 Family Ways devotional

ART:

Mark Kistler's Draw Squad

PE:

Hockey

SamanthaBea--do you think the Intelligo Unit Study/TOPS kits you are planning could work in a co-op? I've been looking at those Unit Studies, and I like the idea, just don't know how easy it would be to implement in a group setting.

LanaTron--I haven't actually used either of them yet. However, just from looking them over, I would say that TOPS would be perfect for a co-op since it is actually written for classroom teachers. There are reproducible worksheets for each experiment, supply lists based on class size, and nothing expensive is required.

Intellego is mostly organized Internet links. I'm not sure how it could be used in a co-op setting.

Hope that helps! :001_smile:

Latin: continue LfC A

Math: CLE 7

Grammar/Spelling: CLE 6

Reading: CLE 7/HO/WTM list

Writing: IEW History-based Middle Ages

History: History Odyssey Level 2 Middle Ages

Science: Elemental Science Bio for logic stage

U.S. Geography: Star Spangled States (done with little sisters)

Logic: Orbiting with Logic and Fallacy Detective

Spanish: Getting Started with Spanish

Music: piano and choir

Art: Atelier

PE: soccer, swimming, tennis, triathlon

This is what we did for 6th this year:

grammar: Analytical with Daily Grams 2nd semester

history: SOTW vol 4 with Joy Hakim's History of US

literature: tons of books to accompany history

math: TT7

science: finished the last of the Apologia elementary series with Abeka 6

spelling: SWR with WordRoots vocab

writing: Ignite Your Writing with writing across the curriculum

logic: Mind Benders series

music: violin

PE: dance

For my 6th grade DS:

Math: Foerster's Algebra I (I also have AoPS and LoF on-hand)

Vocabulary: MCT CE 1

LA: Quickly through MCT Island level, then doing Town, Abeka Language C for reinforcement (no writing), Editor in Chief, Sentence Composing for Middle Grades

Art: Mark Kistler's video drawing classes

Music: Dallas School of Music (keyboarding, voice and/or guitar)

Science: Abeka Physical Science

History: VP Transition History (my way)... A whirlwind recap of world history, ancients to modern times, with emphasis on VP Chants, timeline project, and lots of books.

PE: Swimming and dry-land training

Literature: Abeka Of People (overview), 4 Progeny Press novel studies.

Latin: VP Secondary Latin 1

Logic: Art of Argument

Elective: Mandarin (Tell Me More)

Elective: Webdesign/maintenance (he's the webmaster for scouts)

He's in boy scouts, and we have drama/choir on Tuesdays with church.

Grammar: Rod and Staff English 5 (mostly with me on a whiteboard)

Writing: Oak Meadow 6 ideas with active TEACHING/Modeling by me

Literature: Ambleside Online Year 6 Ancient History/Literature

Math: Horizons 6

Science: PHE books

History: Oak Meadow English & History 6th grade/Ambleside Online Year 6

Fine Arts: composer & artist study, folksongs, & hymns - Ambleside

Art: Oak Meadow projects/crafts

Spanish: vocabulary/grammar using http://www.spanish-kit.net/spanish-download.php - Elementary Spanish Grammar, Espinosa & Allen

Latin: Latin for Children dvd (possibly) or First Form Latin

Extras: Plutarch & Shakespeare as a family - Ambleside Online

For DD11

Math: Finish Saxon Alg 1/2, LOF Prealgebra Econ, Patty Paper Geometry.

Latin: Second Form, doing some Wheelocks with her brother and a tutor.

Writing: CW Homer if I can get motivated.

Literature: LL 7 w/brother, The Tempest at co-op

Grammar: R&S 6 or MCT or AG (probably AG as her older brother is doing this).

Vocab: MCT CE 1

Spelling: SWO H

Science: Nancy Larson Science w/her younger sister. More science at co-op.

World History: SOTW w/younger sister, HO with older brother

American History AAH I think.

Religion: Faith and Life 6, Finish MP Christian Studies 1, start 2

Art: Probably Harmony Art, possibly Meet the Masters (it's on sale now at HBC).

Music: Possibly piano lessons (we never get around to these, but I did buy Discovering Music dvds).

Logic: Possibly Art of Argument, Mind Benders

Memory Work: CC Cycle 3 at home.

Co-op: PE, Science, Shakespearean Musical

PE: Volleyball, Fencing, Softball/Track

I always aim high, but never seem to hit it. Hopefully this year we'll come closer.

Laura

Here's what my ds will be doing. He's sixth grade age wise but more of a 7th grader academically.

Grammar: Rod & Staff 7

Writing: Lost Tools of Writing

Literature: MCT A World of Poetry, Progeny Press Tom Sawyer, Reading list for 19th and 20th century lit

Spelling: Sequential Spelling finish 3, start 4

Math: AoPS Intro to Algebra

Science: God's Design for Chemistry, World of Chemistry, biographies

History: finish MFW Exp to 1850, SotW 4, maybe Critical Thinking in US History

Latin: Latin for Children C

Logic: finish Building Thinking Skills book 2, Critical Thinking Book 1

Art: God and the History of Art

Music: Piano lessons

Memory Work: Classical Conversations, Junior Bible Quiz

Typing: tbd

Extracurricular Activities: Boy Scouts, Swim team, church activities

Grammar/Voc./Poetics: MCT Level 4

Writing: WWS + elements from MCT Academic Writing and Bravewriter

Math: Art of Problem Solve Pre-Algebra and we'll probably play with LOF Algebra

History: HO2 Middle Ages Spine (replace Van Loon w/ Gombrich) + 2nd half OM 6 for projects + Human Odyssey

Science: Classiquest Biology probably mixed and match with Elemental Science

Logic: Critical Thinking

Latin: Galore Park Latin Prep 1

French: Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn French 1

Art: Outside Class

PE: Horseback Riding

Yes, I'm incapable of using anything by itself as written. The history combination is the same one I used last year though and it worked very well for my dd. :)

list for dd11:

Grammar: Rod and Staff English 7

Spelling/Vocab: Vocabulary Workshop (and spelling corrections gleaned from her writing-she's a natural speller)

Writing: IEW/Elegant Essay at co-op, WWS and writing across curric at home

History/Geog: Biblioplan Middle Ages/Ren/Ref with MOH 2 and 3 as a spine, outlining from the old white Kingfisher, book basket books and other activites, documentaries, etc., added in

Literature: I'm sure I will do some lit tied in with history (Shakespeare, etc.) but I'm also considering LL7 or BJU7-not decided on all this yet

Logic: Fallacy Detective

Math: CLE6/MM5-part of 6, LOF (Fractions this summer, Dec/Perc this fall if it's a hit), possibly adding in some Hands-On Equations to prep her for algebraic thinking

Science: excellent co-op sci class that includes note-taking for quizzes, etc.

Bible: I have a few things here, haven't decided yet-maybe an inductive study, maybe the Simply Charlotte Mason study, or Positive Action Curric

Art: Art class at co-op; also study artists in our history time period

Extra: Ballet 3x/wk (pre-professional), Keepers at Home group, Awana

Math and writing will be big areas of focus this year. We are playing down history, even though it's our favorite, to allow time for skills. Also I am having her do more independently because my other dc will need a lot of help with 3rd grade.

I'm not that excited about my choices this yr but I do need more time with my younger child so I'm hoping this will work out ok.

Well, I *think* I finally have ours figured out! (Subject to change once we figure out which school dd will be attending for 7th, and if I need to adjust plans accordingly.) I welcome feedback. Have I overlooked anything?

Math:

CLE 700 and Life of Fred Pre-Algebra

English:

Spelling - How to Teach Any Child to Spell

Vocabulary - Vocabulary Vine (probably in one semester? not sure what to use after that!)

Grammar - Our Mother Tongue

Composition - SWB's writing workshop suggestions plus Story Grammar for Middle School the first semester, and I'm not sure about the second semester (looking at Put That in Writing, Wordsmith, I don't know what else.)

Logic:

Logic Safari and Perplexors to start, then not sure where we'll go

Geography:

Map-drawing methods from The Core

Science:

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding, vol 2 (and vol 3 when it comes out)

History, Literature, Poetry, and Faith:

Ages of Grace: Age of Triumph (Middle Ages)

Memory Work

We do this across the curriculum

Typing

I have a Mavis Beacon program I picked up for a few bucks. We'll see how that works.

Art and Art History: outsourced

Music: outsourced

Foreign Language: outsourced

Whew, that's kind of a relief to see it all laid out like that. Now that the curriculum has been chosen, I just need to figure out how to schedule it all! :001_huh:

Edited by GretaLynne

Assuming my child survives our summer work (3 hours on 3 pages of math, seriously?!?) she will be attempting...

Math: MUS Epsilon then Zeta

Grammar: GWG 6

Spelling: Sequential Spelling 3

Language: Getting Started with Spanish

Science: I hate finding this subject so probably unit studies of interest

Social Studies: Memoria Press States & Capitals (after I realized we have a huge gap in geography knowledge), probably followed up by a world geography program

Writing: The Five Finger Paragraph

Reading: Whatever I can get in her, she hates it

Music: Piano

PE: Competitive Gymnastics

Grammar/Voc./Poetics: MCT Level 4

Writing: WWS + elements from MCT Academic Writing and Bravewriter

Math: Art of Problem Solve Pre-Algebra and we'll probably play with LOF Algebra

History: HO2 Middle Ages Spine (replace Van Loon w/ Gombrich) + 2nd half OM 6 for projects + Human Odyssey

Science: Classiquest Biology probably mixed and match with Elemental Science

Latin: Galore Park Latin Prep 1

French: Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn French 1

Art: Outside Class

PE: Horseback Riding

Yes, I'm incapable of using anything by itself as written. The history combination is the same one I used last year though and it worked very well for my dd. :)

You don't happen to have the HO schedule handy do you? I have Gombrich and would love to use it instead of Van Loon. Would you be willing to email? Julie of sardis @ gmail dot com

Thanks!

Long-time reader, I haven't participated in much too long :001_huh:

Math: JacobsĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ Mathematics: A Human Endeavor. Singapore Math Intensive Practice 4B, 5B.

History: History Odyssey 2: Ancient Times with additional reading.

English Literature: Shakespeare play(s?) and retellings. Myths and epics from the classical, First Peoples, and northern/Norse worlds. Prep for National Mythology Exam & Medusa Mythology Exam?

English Composition: Exercises from Classical Composition -- Fable, Narrative, Chreia, possibly Maxim. Possibly more The Primary School Spelling Book (1858) exercises for spelling, vocabulary, and copywork.

Latin: Latin Prep 2. Prep for National Latin Exam in March.

Science: Lyrical Life Science 2 & 3 (general & human body), with additional reading. GEMS or TOPS science projects? HakimĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s The Story of Science Volume 1: Aristotle Leads the Way.

Music: Guitar lessons.

Sports/Fitness: Weekly phys ed class. Bowling league. Inline skating.

Literature: Various classics: Call of the Wild, Wrinkle in Time, The Hobbit, The Giver, Lord of the Flies, Have Spaceship will Travel, The Outsiders, plus some historical fiction and biographies of his choice.

Composition: Classical Writing for Older Beginners

Language Arts: MCT Voyage level; SWR for spelling

Latin: Latin prep 1

Math: Art of Problem Solving Introductory Algebra

Logic: Finish Fallacy Detective, then Thinking Toolbox

Science: Exploration Education advanced level and Hewitt's Conceptual Physics

History: The Idiot's Guide to the Twentieth Century supplemented w/tons of movies and books of interest

Extracurriculars: Boy Scouts, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Football, Baseball, Chess team, Co-op

Here's ours:

How to Teach Spelling

Grammar Voyage, Practice Voyage

Write with the Best, CW Homer, Grammar for Middle School

MCT Vocab & Poetry

MCT Literature program

Saxon 7/6, LoF Decimals/Percents, Real Life Math

Rosetta Stone Spanish, Getting Started With Spanish

Critical Thinking

SOTW 1 w/lots of added components to bring it up to grade level

Elemental Science

Harmony Fine Arts (music & art)

My 6th grade dd will use:

History:America the Beautiful-will outline

Science-Apologia Zoology 1-will outline at least once a week (hopefully)

Grammar-1 semester of AG the rest of the year WP LA-6 this includes writing, spelling, grammar, literature etc.

Copywork: Copywork for Girls and Verses from Queen Homeschool

Math: MUS Epsilon and hopefully start Zeta

Latin-Latin Primer

Math: Teaching Textbooks

Reading: resources from Continental Press

Spelling: Spelling Power

Writing: Apologia Jump In

Grammar: Shurley English

Vocab: Visual Vocabulary + Shurley English

History: Veritas Press on-line, self-paced (we loved this last year!)

Science: RS4K Biology & Physics

Geography: continent maps, Continental Press books

Art: Mark Kistler, Meet the Masters, art class

Music: piano

Typing: ???

Sign Language

Enrichment classes

Math: Saxon 7/6

History: beefed up SOTW2

Science: Mr Qs Earth Science with added kits, nature studies

Lit: still working on book list

Vocab: Vocab from Classical Roots

Spelling: finish AAS5 then AAS6

Grammar: ALL sample, the rest when available

Writing: WWS sample, the rest when available

Typing: Mavis Beacon

Art, Music, Film and Theater are taken at local co-op

PE through another co-op and I have the boys skate, scooter, ripstik,

or bike around the neighborhood with me daily weather permitting -

keeps me honest. :tongue_smilie:

Drum lessons with Dad

• 4 weeks later...

Math: Finish up CLE 600 series

History/Lit: TOG Y2

Science: maybe Rainbow Science??

Grammar: Rod&Staff 6 and Editor in Chief

Spelling: Phonetic Zoo

Vocab: Caesar's English

Foreign Language: VisualLink Spanish

Health: SL Science level ?

Art: Kistler

It's still a work in progress...

Math: Saxon 7/6 with Life of Fred Fractions and Decimals

Bible: Explorer's Bible Study Ă¢â‚¬â€œQuest: Promises

R&S Reading (Bible) 4 (he loves it an is insisting he finishes it so whatever lol)

Long Bible passage memorization and short passage memorization with the famiy

Science: CEP Life Science task cards

History: CEP Geography and Culture Cards

Literature: Potters School Online course literature selections, some readings from the cards and choices from mom

Writing:

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Potters School Online Writing Course

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Geography & Science writings

English: finishing R&S 5 & and doing R&S 6

Language: First Form Latin and Rosetta Stone Spanish

Logic: Finish Logic Liftoff, Orbiting with Logic and move towards Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox

Cursive Ă¢â‚¬â€œ New American Cursive II

Typing: BBC Typing

Art: Picture and Artist study

Music:

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Classical music "survey"

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Recorder

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ piano

Scouts, etc.