Menu

ClickNKids vs Headsprout vs Time4Learning

tribemama

Hi Everyone!!

I am trying to decide between these programs. As it is right now we use ETC, and OPGTR. I think my daughter needs more visual stimulation. I thought she really had the ABC's down but then she will ask, "what letter is that?" Anyway, I thought I would supplement with a fun online or computer game phonics/reading program.

Who has used them? Did you like them? I have checked out a TON of reviews! I am so confused - some like the price of ClickNKids, others say you get what you payed for. Did anyone see results? I'm at a loss.

Is there another program that you used that was a wonderful success! I would love to hear all about it. I am looking for anything and everything to get her reading.

Thanks for all of your wonderful knowledge ahead of time!

Tribemama

We've used Time 4 Learning and Click N Kids. Time 4 Learning is cute and fun. It is also very expensive if all you want is reading and phonics. I think their reading and phonics was the best part, however, and I liked it even more for higher grades. I think it is a great supplement for kids who are already sounding out and blending words on their own. It is almost too fun, however. It's a little distracting with all the animation and songs.

Click n Kids is much less flashy. It is not as fun and slower. IMO, however, it is better for kids who are non-readers. I thought it did a better job modeling blending and how to sound things out. The price is better too.

My kids wanted to do Time 4 Learning and had to be told to do Click N Kids. Both programs improved their reading skills, but Click N Kids worked better for my very beginning readers. Maybe it was more a personality thing and my beginners who went with Time 4 Learning wouldn't have caught on with Click n Kids at that age either and my child who started on Click n Kids would have excelled on Time 4 Learning if that's what she'd had, but it is our experience.

I have used Click'n Kids. I have not used the others (yet). DS2 is using the PK parts of T4L right now. I just wanted something fun to get him used to having school time.

I started Click'n Kids with DS1 at 5.5. It was his introduction to phonics because he was unwilling to look at anything printed (and we later found out he had serious vision, eye teaming and visual processing issues) and the animation at Starfall was too distracting (he is very easily distracted by visual movement). Click'n Read has large letters and just the right amount of animation at the right times to not be distracting.

He progressed rapidly at first, but the program covers K-3 and for him it moved too quickly into more challenging material. Since it was his first real exposure to phonics, he wasn't ready to move into the higher lessons yet. I should have looked over what each lesson covered and had him repeat the early lessons instead of moving further into it before he was really ready. He got into material he was not ready for and we stopped using it for a long time.

With DS2 I am waiting to use Click'n Read until he has already covered a basic introduction to phonics. I want the first parts of Click'n Read to feel easy to him, so that he can get further into the program before it starts to feel challenging. I will also go over the material with him outside of the program.

It is not totally necessary to have keyboarding skills but with DS1 the value he got from the spelling parts of the lessons greatly increased once he was typing with the right fingers. I want to have DS2 do the Dance Mat program before he gets too far into Click'n Read. DS1 is now working his way through Click'n Spell.

BTW the best price I found for Click'n Read was through the Homeschool Buyers Coop.

They also have a new Looney Tunes version of Click'n Read. It looks more expensive though.

Edited by laundrycrisis

Thanks for you input.

So, would you say that Time4Learning does not work for one that really needs to review even the alphabet?

Anyone with recommendations to HeadSprout? or even a Computer Game?

I was worried about the typing with ClickNKids - I will look into that program.

She is just really dragging her feet with ETC or any workbook for that matter. I want her to think learning how to read is fun - right now she has a different point of view:)

Thanks,

Tribemama

I wouldn't say Time 4 Learning doesn't work. I'm sure it would if you made sure the child redid lessons until he or she was ready for harder work. I just thought clink n kids was better for the littler ones. I'm sure that most small kids would like Time 4 Learning better, however, as it is more fun. If your child needs the fun, than he or she might not sit still for click n kids and that program's advantage would disappear. If your child needs to still work on ABC's however, you'd really be better off just staying with starfall until those are mastered since it is free and fun.

Headsprout caused one of mine to memorize words/sight read. It's set up in a way that allows that if a child has a bent in that direction. I don't like it for that reason. I stopped mid-way through the first level and taught them to read using phonics. It was my biggest money waste by far. The kids loved it though.

I'd agree go with Starfall. I See Sam books were really fun here too.

Edited by sbgrace

We did ETC and ClickNRead at the same time. I never tried the other programs listed. I liked ClicKNRead and it worked when nothing else did. Definitely pay attention to the score sheet at the end. They say to repeat any lesson below 80%. We repeated any lesson below 90%. I kept a hard copy of every report and would have dd read the sentences from random reports at various times. An unattended bonus was that she became more familiar with the keyboard. :001_smile:

We have used Headsprout and LOVED it, but my DS is also more of a whole language child than a phonetic child...if you have strong convictions about your child NOT learning sight words, it may not be the program for you. It didn't bother me if DS learned sight words and phonics at the same time, but it's a big deal to some.

We did ETC and ClickNRead at the same time. I never tried the other programs listed. I liked ClicKNRead and it worked when nothing else did. Definitely pay attention to the score sheet at the end. They say to repeat any lesson below 80%. We repeated any lesson below 90%. I kept a hard copy of every report and would have dd read the sentences from random reports at various times. An unattended bonus was that she became more familiar with the keyboard. :001_smile:

So, you didn't feel like you needed to have the child learn typing before they did the program? I know that was one of the concerns in a review I read.

Thanks,

Tribemama

• 2 months later...
Guest snippets

My DD used both programs. She was older using them, but she has learning challenges and needed the phonics background from Click N Kids. She didn't get much out of Click N Kids at all and I paid full price for it--$60.00. We finally quit using it just before the end of it. She does T4L (Upper Level) and really likes it. We pay quarterly so we get a discount.

Time4Learning allows us access to three grade levels within each subject, so that is awesome! It also does all the record keeping for me, which I really like.

I think you will find a different opinion for almost every curriculum because we all learn differently and come from different backgrounds. No two people are the same. I also don't believe there is one "perfect" curriculum or resource. Sometimes it takes a blend of using several in order to reach your child where they are at the moment.

Jackie

We have used Headsprout and LOVED it, but my DS is also more of a whole language child than a phonetic child...if you have strong convictions about your child NOT learning sight words, it may not be the program for you. It didn't bother me if DS learned sight words and phonics at the same time, but it's a big deal to some.

:iagree:

Hug-A-Bug finished Headsprout a while ago and LOVED it. He loves to read now. He has gone from reading Dick & Jane mini-books (3 words in the whole book like run, jump) to reading the Nate the Great chapter books. In less than a year. I didn't really see any issues with phonics? He can sound out unfamiliar words with no trouble at all and has incredible fluency and comprehension. I was really impressed with the program, and thought it was money well spent.

I have used T4L with both of my kids. The youngest I started out in the preschool level as a review. Once I help them get logged on, they can do it by themselves so I like that part. I also really like that it uses phonics to teach the letter sounds. I think it helped my dd have a good foundation for reading and language.

Headsprout caused one of mine to memorize words/sight read. It's set up in a way that allows that if a child has a bent in that direction. I don't like it for that reason. I stopped mid-way through the first level and taught them to read using phonics. It was my biggest money waste by far. The kids loved it though.

I have mixed feelings about Headsprout. DS went from reading about 5 words to a beginner books/ 1st grade level, but he is still reluctant to read ("it's too hard"). He burned out around lesson 50 because the pace moves too quickly after lesson 40- I was having to do the lessons for him, and sometimes I couldn't even keep up with the timer- and the moving images were often blurred on my Macbook :confused:. He can memorize words pretty easily, but also still guesses (he saw the word frosted and told me it said "forested". If the program did not cost so much, I would be happy with his progress. But it does cost a lot, and for us, I will have to use another program to fill in the phonics gaps.