Menu

Economical, Healthy(er) Snacks for Large Group

Costco has real fruit leathers rather than the "fruit snacks" kind but not sure if you put them in the same category

Costco has gluten free rice crackers now that are tasty, at least to my crew

Dried fruits of various types

Plain fruit cut up

Cut up veggies

Whole grain crackers with or without bits of cheese

Yogurts? Need refrigeration

How big a group? Is there a preparation area available?

I plan to run a open house/pool party/ birthday /graduation event :001_smile: in a few weeks. My plan is a running grill with hot dogs & hamburgers.

The side dishes will be:

veggie tray (it really doesn't take much work to chop celery, carrots, cucumbers, etc - if you have the space and equipment)

Chopped watermelon

chips and salsa

devilled eggs (depending on the fridge available at the community room)

tubs of cheap ice cream with toppings (again dependent on facilities)

Cheese and relish tray

I am flying in from out of state, my sis and dad have rented the community room in an apartment complex. I have never seen it. Neither sis nor dad has any willingness to fix food. They would do this at a restuarant but I want to have a long afternoon with folks I only see once a year, not a crowded rushed lunch where I am worried that we are tying up some poor waitresses table. iykwim :tongue_smilie:

I'm not very familiar with those stores… they sell large/bulk type packages, right? What about granola bars, or those cheese/cracker packs (they make them with peanut butter too if there are no allergies in your group) … do they sell yoghurt covered raisins? Those are delicious.

How large of a group and what ages? Do you have refrigeration available?

-yogurt cups

-watermelon slices

-trailmix, divided into smaller cups for each child (not so great for adults but could work)

-hummus and fresh veggies

-peanut butter on celery with raisins on top ;)

-an apple each :D

Almonds

I love the Sweet Potato chips I get there, but I don't think they qualify as healthy ;)

I second cheese - Costco has lots of interesting cheeses, some presliced. We had a yummy Irish one last week.

Avocados - alone or made into a simple guacamole (I just use salt and pepper and fresh squeezed lime juice)

Great ideas! Guess I should have clarified...this is a weekly gathering for up to 100 children, and the decision by the one in charge is to have some type of healthier, snack type food available. In the past there was a scheduled "snack time" but they're moving away from that but still want kids to have an option to "grab" a snack. (I do know many kids who need something...or may be more alert or obedient... every few hours because of adrenal/blood sugar issues.) Wish there was time/personnel/money to cut up veggies and fruit-- which would be my very favorite option. :)

You guys are great.

:001_smile: