Menu

Does anyone here use natural remedies for ADHD

I have ADD/ADHD but am not allowed to take medication any longer due to my epilepsy (some neuros allow it, mine does not). I drink two cups of coffee every morning. If I miss them, everyone can tell.

Coffee is no substitute for ADHD medication. Herbs are no substitute. A good diet always is helpful (absolutely no artificial sweeteners, no high fructose corn syrup, minimal food dyes, minimal processed foods), as is proper sleep and regimented scheduling.

I've said it before: I wish someone had noticed I was ADD/ADHD when I was a child; it would have made my educational experience much less painful. And, given a choice, I would have taken medication: the difference is like night and day (I have taken both stimulant type and 'sort of' stimulant type ADHD medication).

asta

My 11 yo has been diagnosed then undiagnosed with ADHD. He certainly acts like he has it. I've found that eggs in the morning helps as much as Ritalin did. I also give him omega-3s, magnesium, zinc, and vitamin B.

We use the Omega Brites http://www.omegabrite.com which are high quality omega 3s. My girls also get a probiotic, B-100 complex, and vit. E.

We had tried diet things but they did nothing but frustrate mom and the girls.

Exercise, a good sleep schedule, etc. can help as well.

If the child snores or is restless or congested a lot you might see if the tonsils/adenoids are overly large and causing trouble with sleep. If they don't sleep well, they can show ADD/ADHD stuff.

I would also make sure you dont' have petit mal seizures, thyroid/blood sugar, etc problems as well.

That all said,---we removed tonsils and adenoids, got dd on meds for her seizures, treated the hypothyroid, AND use the supplements BUT she still needs meds for her ADHD.

It is worth trying the other stuff and ruling out other possible causes but for many kids the meds are the ticket.

wow I always knew my kids did better with eggs for breakfast.

I give them free range eggs almost every day. I really thouht it was starting the day with a good solid protien sourse (instead of carbs which would spike the blood sugar level). But has a mom you just tend to do what works for your kids :)

Anyway I stopped meds for good about a year ago. I found an excellent homeopath that has done more than any meds ever have. the best part is there is no crash when the meds wear off.

unfortunalty the practioners are hard to sort out. I did A LOT of research to find out who really knew what they were doing and had success with other ADHD kids.

good luck

The eggs contain choline, which positively affects attention. You can also get choline supplements.

Just an FYI. Feingold works really well for about 10% of kids dx'd with ADHD, but doesn't impact the others. When it works, it really works.

curious to where you get the 10% from.. because feingold not only covers adhd but many other issues as well.. From everything i read it does help to some extent for any adhd child that goes on it.. but the issue is you have to follow it fully.. if you do any infractions it wont work. Most people who have failure with the program are not doing it accuratly. OR.. their child needs more removed like cassin(sp), dairy, or gluten.. and i agree.. when it works.. it really works!! But only if you choose to live that lifestyle.. it almost has to be a whole family change. Which is hard.. but really after you get past stage 1.. you can have just about anything you would normally eat.. you just have to switch brands :)

give my dc Nordic naturals 3-6-9

I can't decide if it really helps much or not, but I hear it certainly can't hurt.

There is a good article on fish oil on this website: http://www.additudemag.com

Ooooh! Ooooh! I just ordered this, as well as Nordic Naturals cod liver oil, a few days ago! I plan to do the 3-6-9 in the a.m. and the C.L.O. in the afternoon. I am so very ready for it to get here, but they informed me that the 3-6-9 is backordered. Grrrrrr. We need it yesterday... can you tell I am expecting great things from this?:tongue_smilie:

Please read:

Healing the New Childhood Epidemics Autism, Adhd, Asthma and Allergies The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders by:

Kenneth Bock, M.D. and Cameron Stauth

Every child is different so please get a good physical and check allergies etc.. before giving anything including supplements.

Boy, Do I sound like a tv commercial....;)

P.S. my dd has been diagnosed with Adhd and PDD...and you can not tell.

Forgot to say what my dd takes.

B-12 chewables - 1

nature's plus calcium chewables - 2

E-lyte pre-mixed liquid minerals with:

1. magnesium 5 drops

2. zinc 5 drops

Arctic D Cod Liver Oil - 1 tsp.

Miracle 2000 Total Body Nutrition - 1/2 capful

I will be putting her on Melatonin (for sleep issues)...the health food store didn't want me to use this for her...they gave me a natural thing to put in her pillow. That did not work.

We do as well.

We use Feingold and are also gluten free/casein free/soy free. We are adding a variety of supplements. Feingold made the biggest impact in his behavior and focus; gluten/casein/soy free means his stomach doesn't ache anymore, he's growing and putting on weight, and the rash on his chest and arms is gone.

One place we got information from recently was Dianne Craft. She has a two CD set (about 2.5 hours) talk/interview called "The Biology of Behavior" that was interesting.

1) A structured day w/ lots of work, play, and routine.

2) Healthy diet and avoidance of any foods that trigger behaviors. Lots of water. Make sure to keep the child's bowels regular w/ daily elimination.

3) Lot of love and hugs

4) Fresh air and sunshine

5) No t.v. or computer games (it's funny how those who are suspect of having ADD can pay so much attention to a computer or t.v. screen..????)

6) Don't allow the child to believe they have a deficiency and uphold them to the same rules and expectations as everyone else. Tendencies toward distraction are never allowed to be used as excuses for not meeting household expecations.

7) Frequent opportunities to practice paying attention w/ breaks afterward and rewards for good, hard work.

8) A mother who is well-rested and good-natured. (for me, this takes A LOT of prayer :o)

This is my list of natural remedies for ADD.

Blessings,

Camy