Menu

Why can't two straight men sleep in the same bed?

You know, I have no clue, but it is cracking me up thinking of two teenage boys eye-ing each other when someone suggests they have to sleep in the same bed for the night.

:lol: I can just imagine the incredulous looks and the hackles rising!

This one actually makes sense to me. Females can sleep in the same bed with more ease because, while it might be embarrassing if you roll onto the other person in your sleep, you at least know you won't roll onto the other person with an erection.

For the same reason they have to have an empty seat between them at the movie theater. :D

We have a couple of bachelor friends that always go to the movies together and we call that the "hope seat." As in, they hope that one day a girl will be sitting in it. :lol:

Why don't men go to the doctor? Why do women go to the bathroom together?

It's one of those mysteries of the ages....

Yeah, but...men use urinals side by side. Yech. When I go to the bathroom with my friends, we each take a separate stall.

Well, they *can,* if they have to, LOL. I think most of them are so big that they just wouldn't be comfortable (unless it was a king size bed, perhaps). And then the teens, at least, seem to fear some sort of loss of machismo. Perhaps they think it seeps out and into the other sleeper during the night.

There have been times when my son wanted to sleep downstairs with a friend over, and neither wanted the overly firm couch. Both wanted the bed. A couple of times they ended up compromising and sharing it, but they built a wall of pillows between them, LOL....

I've never shared a bed with a girlfriend or relative either. Well, other than my sister when I was four.

I just can't imagine sleeping with someone who wasn't directly and immediately related to me (i.e husband, child).

I asked my (not teenage) son. He replied "Gas".

That, and men are more violent sleepers/dreamers. I can't begin to count the times that I've woken up catching Wolf's elbow/arm/fist sailing around my head. I've heard stories from other wives that seem to indicate that its not that uncommon.

And why can't teenage boys - both straight sleep in the same bed? Women can sleep in the same bed, usually with girlfriends or relatives.

It's a cultural thing I think. I remember watching an episode of World's Strictest Parents in India where a boy had to sleep in the same bed as his foster parents' two nephews. No one batted an eyelash.

I would have to be pretty desperate. I would always prefer just to sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag if sharing a bed were my only option. I'm sure teen boys feel the same way.

But anyway, I'm sure part of the thing that would make this even harder for teen boys is that a lot of men get erections when they are asleep and would feel awkward waking up in bed with an erection and another guy in the bed.

For the same reason they have to have an empty seat between them at the movie theater. :D

Yes! I thought this was the most bizarre thing when I saw my brother and his friends do this.

I kept asking them if they were mad at each other :lol:.

I would have to be pretty desperate. I would always prefer just to sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag if sharing a bed were my only option. I'm sure teen boys feel the same way.

But anyway, I'm sure part of the thing that would make this even harder for teen boys is that a lot of men get erections when they are asleep and would feel awkward waking up in bed with an erection and another guy in the bed.

This makes sense. It's hard to understand how something they love so much can betray them! :lol:

According to dh, you have to skip a spot at the urinals, too. It is considered odd to use the urinal right next to someone else.

This is true. I remember my guy friends in high school discussing the 'rules of the urinals.' There are almost always an odd number of urinals in a bathroom so that guys can follow this rule. If there are five in a row, you don't take the middle one unless the two ends are already occupied.

And why can't teenage boys - both straight sleep in the same bed? Women can sleep in the same bed, usually with girlfriends or relatives.

Because we have a homophobic culture, and even if the two men involved are straight and NOTHING happens whatsoever, the surrounding culture will brand them or suspect them to be homosexual. The straight men in question don't want to put themselves under that kind of scrutiny, so they will play along in the cultural homophobia, even when they, themselves, are not homophobic, as a sort of survival/coping mechanism.

No man prefers to sleep two in a bed. In fact, you would a good deal rather not sleep with your own brother. I don't know how it is, but people like to be private when they are sleeping. And when it comes to sleeping with an unknown stranger, in a strange inn, in a strange town, and that stranger a harpooneer, then your objections indefinitely multiply. Nor was there any earthly reason why I as a sailor should sleep two in a bed, more than anybody else; for sailors no more sleep two in a bed at sea, than bachelor Kings do ashore. To be sure they all sleep together in one apartment, but you have your own hammock, and cover yourself with your own blanket, and sleep in your own skin.

Ishmael

No man prefers to sleep two in a bed. In fact, you would a good deal rather not sleep with your own brother. I don't know how it is, but people like to be private when they are sleeping. And when it comes to sleeping with an unknown stranger, in a strange inn, in a strange town, and that stranger a harpooneer, then your objections indefinitely multiply. Nor was there any earthly reason why I as a sailor should sleep two in a bed, more than anybody else; for sailors no more sleep two in a bed at sea, than bachelor Kings do ashore. To be sure they all sleep together in one apartment, but you have your own hammock, and cover yourself with your own blanket, and sleep in your own skin.

Ishmael

Ah yes, seems it has been in the genetic code! :)

We call that empty seat at the theater a "man space."

Just telll them they can share the bed if they both say "no homo" first. Apparently you can do just about anything, and no one will think you are gay if you say "no homo" first. :P

But, it is a combination of the night erection (and nocturnal emissions, perhaps) thing, and the fear of being thought of as gay.

Upon waking next morning about daylight, I found Queequeg's arm thrown over me in the most loving and affectionate manner. You had almost thought I had been his wife. The counterpane was of patchwork, full of odd little parti-colored squares and triangles; and this arm of his tattooed all over with an interminable Cretan labyrinth of a figure, no two parts of which were of one precise shade - owing I suppose to his keeping his arm at sea unmethodically in sun and shade, his shirt sleeves irregularly rolled up at various times - this same arm of his, I say, looked for all the world like a strip of that same patchwork quilt. Indeed, partly lying on it as the arm did when I first awoke, I could hardly tell it from the quilt, they so blended their hues together; and it was only by the sense of weight and pressure that I could tell that Queequeg was hugging me.

Ishmael

This is what I thought was the reason.

This one actually makes sense to me. Females can sleep in the same bed with more ease because, while it might be embarrassing if you roll onto the other person in your sleep, you at least know you won't roll onto the other person with an erection.

:lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

My husband is the oddball because he said it wouldn't be a big deal to him, if he knew the guy he was bed sharing with. :lol: He used to travel a lot during high school and college to play baseball, and he said the guys shared beds in the hotel all the time.

On the rare occasion that I go out of town with my girlfriends, we double up in the beds. It beats the floor or spending the money for another room. I've never given it a second thought.

My hubby doesn't even want to share a bed with his brother.

I have no problem. In fact, I have a dear friend I haven't seen in years coming to visit. (Hubby is out of town for work.) I asked her if she wanted to sleep in DD's bed or upstairs with me. "Duh, of course with you!" We talk late at night like we did when we were teens. We would miss all that talking if she slept downstairs.

When we were kids we slept two in a twin bed when I had a sleepover.

Because we have a homophobic culture, and even if the two men involved are straight and NOTHING happens whatsoever, the surrounding culture will brand them or suspect them to be homosexual. The straight men in question don't want to put themselves under that kind of scrutiny, so they will play along in the cultural homophobia, even when they, themselves, are not homophobic, as a sort of survival/coping mechanism.

And the reason it's ok for women to sleep in the same bed is because 1) being a lesbian is more acceptable and 2) women engaging sexually is a popular straight male fantasy

When my women's circle at church plans a retreat or trip they always assume the women will split a hotel room 4 ways. Two women per bed, even though most hotel double rooms in this part of the country use full size beds not queen.

I would not mind if this were my sister but just some random lady from church? no. I always ask if I can pay two shares and have a bed of my own and then I get looks like. Are you too good to share a bed? It is very embarassing.

I have no idea if the mens groups plan 4 to a room or 2, now I wonder, but I sure as heck am not going to ask. :lol:

My DH has no problem sharing a bed, he says that when he does, they just sleep all the way on opposite sides of the bed. I, personally, HATE sharing beds, or rooms even. If I am in a position where the room is supposed to be split 4 ways, like at a retreat, I'll pay for the whole room myself if I can, or at least pay for half of the room, so I don't have to share a bed, like Denise does. It gives me the creeps.

DH and I just talked about this and he said it's pretty much a No Win situation for guys. Either you approach the topic and appear to be eager to share a bed (homosexual) or you appear to be afraid to share a bed (homophobic).

So he said you just accept the "one to a bed" rule and move on.

We girls used to tease the boys on youth retreats, because the rooms were booked with 4 per room with the intention of 2 to a bed. They, however would sleep one on each bed, one on the floor, and one on the couch (if available). A few of the older guys would sleep with one guy under the covers, and one on top or they would both bring sleeping bags and sleep on the bed in those. We girls thought this was silly--we just shared the beds and didn't give it a second thought!