Menu

NYers, join me for a little cheese and IHIP whine?

What I would put in my IHIP if I could just say what we're doing:

- Lively Latin 1 & 2 from where we are until where we get by the end of the year

- CW Aesop unless it freaks my 3rd grader out too much, in which case, just written narrations

- Singapore Math 3

- lots of living books in earth and space science, and medieval history

- drawing and piano practice every day

Then I could write long, chatty essays about what the kids did in those areas each quarter. Instead, when I write my IHIP I'm thinking, "am I making this broad enough to explain on a quarterly report?" It's an exercise in generalizing, for sure, and I feel like I'm lying and cheating.

I don't know if I can get away with student initiated low organized gross motor activity on a regular basis (which means goofing off like a boy) for phys ed anymore.

I always put on my IHIP that I'll teach my kids about dental hygiene in health. My kids already know quite enough about dental hygiene. Last year all I did was make sure they remembered to practice it, but they're big enough now that they remember pretty well on their own. It's a little demoralizing to have to teach health again. They learned it last year. They know everything about health they need to know until they hit puberty.

Every June I write, American history will be studied in the context of and in contrast to world history, and every June I want to move to Illinois, where no reporting or even notifying is required at all.

/rant

Anyone else want to rant, whine, avoid writing, or post about their IHIP?

but I swear no one even looked at them at our previous district. I was always tempted to slip a nonsensical sentence right in the middle of it to see if they noticed but I'm too much a wimp. I did shorten my IHIPS and reports a lot since oldest was in 1st grade.

I hear that the district we are in now is fairly hs friendly so I hoping to never really hear from them either.

In fact I told our old district we were moving out of the district in my June quarterly last year and they called me (our phone # is the same) in like January wondering where he was.

We don't do any formal phys ed so I never really know what to put down. They go golfing, swimming and little league so I put those down but I mostly try to make sure they are active which is not hard with 4 boys and know how to be a good sport. I wonder if the school district would have a problem with target shooting?

I've written that same exact line about American History when we were doing SOTW in 1st and 2nd. We been studying American History the past 2 years so it hasn't been a problem. I'm not sure what I will do about state history.

I really don't like having to fit into their box.

I have a 7th grader and i am working on my first quarterly report.

I'm really having issues about it. I took her out of school at the start of the 4th quarter. She is above grade level in all subjects but math where she is 2 years BELOW.

I am teaching her 2 years of math (3-4 grade) during this last quarter to fill in the gaps she just never got from school.

How do I document that I am doing math and not worrying so much about the other subjects till next year?

I'm not really touching health, art music or PE right now. Shall I say for health we are reviewing multiplication factors of the food groups?

for art, division among great artists?

for PE fractions of physical fitness goals that no one cared she never understood?

to come up with ways to say we covered art and music on my IHIPs.The children listen to alot of music when we are in the car and they doodle on their school books and papers...does that count?

hey!

We do that! I'd love to use that one LOL

Can I compose myself to say doodling is our art for this quarter while we focus on important things??

to come up with ways to say we covered art and music on my IHIPs.The children listen to alot of music when we are in the car and they doodle on their school books and papers...does that count?

Hm . . . Sounds to me like your kids are doing unaffected rhythmic conceptualization in mixed media, across the fine arts.

unaffected rhythmic conceptualization in mixed media, across the fine arts.

:rofl:

Oh - I hate these reports. I always feel like I am on the edge of the truth because it is hard to translate my idea of a good, age-appropriate, enjoyable school year into the structured reports they want. Sigh.