Menu

What do you put in your enchiladas?

I made these enchiladas last night, and while they were pretty tasty, I can't imagine that *real* enchiladas have cream cheese as an ingredient. But when I search recipes, nearly all of them have either sour cream, cream cheese or cream of something soup. :confused:

Since I'm not an authentic Mexican myself, nor do I live any where near Mexico, my experience with Mexican food is more or less limited to local restaurants (we vacationed in Mexico once, and when we ate away from the resort, it was all kind of "build your own" from the offerings on the table). But I just don't see cream of something soup or cream cheese being the norm. We do have some great Mexican restaurants here, but then I run into the problem of understanding the difference between burritos and enchiladas because they all seem to be the same; meat or beans with seasonings wrapped in a tortilla, sometimes topped with cheese or with cheese inside.

What's in a real enchilada? And how is it different from a burrito at the end of the day? Is it because one is baked and one is typically not? If the burrito is not baked, then how is that different from a soft shell taco?

Help this northerner understand.

A lot of Mexican food uses similar ingredients but in different ways. Enchiladas are stuffed and rolled, then covered with sauce and/or cheese before baking. Burritos are stuffed and tucked, and eaten as is.

FWIW, for my chicken enchiladas I use a green chile sauce. I do a quick sear on the chicken (seasoned with salt and a dusting of cumin) before adding a few garlic cloves and chicken broth to slow bake in my dutch oven. After it cools I break up the chicken, add half a lime's worth of juice, the green chile sauce, and a little pepper jack cheese and set on a simmer. That makes up the filling, and then salsa verde goes on top and bottom, with the top adding more pepper jack to cover and diced roasted green chiles for a garnish. Sour cream is served on the side.

I made chicken enchiladas last night. They consisted of shredded chicken and shredded cheese wrapped in a tortilla then covered in sauce and more cheese then baked until bubbly.

I should have put some veggies (onions, chilies) in with the chicken but was lazy.

I use black beans, ground beef, red sauce, tomato/chicken buillion cubes, Cheese (inside and out), chili powder, and rice. I put it all into tortillas, roll them up and bake. It makes two batches, one mild, one hot. For the mild, I leave out the red sauce.

Edited by mama2cntrykids

I've never used cream cheese :blink: or any kind of cream-of soup in my enchiladas. I have put sour cream on top, after they've finished cooking, but never as part of the filling. Cottage cheese, yes, in cheese enchiladas, along with shredded cheese.

I use corn tortillas for enchiladas, not flour, so right off that would make them different from burritos (I soft-fry the tortillas first).

Tacos are corn tortillas. Burritos are flour tortillas. Fast-food restaurants use flour tortillas and call them "soft tacos." (Other non-fast-food restaurants have picked this up.) For us, if you want a soft taco you fry it for a shorter amount of time; if you want crispy, you fry it longer and fold it over, frying on both sides, until it's as crispy as you want it. We never buy "taco shells." You should never measure any kind of food by how fast-food restaurants prepare it, lol.

So, okay. The difference between enchilada, burrito, taco is essentially in what the tortilla is made from and the style in which it is wrapped? Not so much what is inside?

And I knew it! I knew there couldn't be such a rampant use of cream cheese and cream soups in real Mexican enchiladas! :tongue_smilie: I would think that just refried beans and melted cheese would give the "creamy" effect all on their own, and then add in a protein source (meat, beans, whatever). Sauce on the outside. Right? If so, I think I got it. And for burritos, anything can be tucked in there if the wrap is right?

You should never measure any kind of food by how fast-food restaurants prepare it, lol.

:lol: I don't think I've ever had Mexican food from a fast food type restaurant. Shudder!

The restaurant we like is owned and operated by a Mexican family. The food is great! But you're right - most of the tortillas are flour, although they do sometimes ask if we want corn. It's just that everything on the menu seems to consist of some combination of the same 10 or so ingredients.

I usually do a very simplified version of enchiladas--hubby likes them layered instead of rolled so I layer the meat,red sauce,cheese between small flat (usually corn) tortillas and bake till bubbly and melty....then if they want sour cream (and we have it) they can add it once they are served.....

So, okay. The difference between enchilada, burrito, taco is essentially in what the tortilla is made from and the style in which it is wrapped? Not so much what is inside?

And I knew it! I knew there couldn't be such a rampant use of cream cheese and cream soups in real Mexican enchiladas! :tongue_smilie: I would think that just refried beans and melted cheese would give the "creamy" effect all on their own, and then add in a protein source (meat, beans, whatever). Sauce on the outside. Right? If so, I think I got it. And for burritos, anything can be tucked in there if the wrap is right?

Yep! Although in my family we use the rule of corn for beef/pork and flour for chicken.

:lol: I don't think I've ever had Mexican food from a fast food type restaurant. Shudder!

The restaurant we like is owned and operated by a Mexican family. The food is great! But you're right - most of the tortillas are flour, although they do sometimes ask if we want corn. It's just that everything on the menu seems to consist of some combination of the same 10 or so ingredients.

If you want to try something different, look for tamales. Those are shredded and seasoned meat (we use pork or beef) in a layer of masa (like corn meal) and wrapped in a dried corn husk. The whole thing is steamed and is yummy goodness wrapped in a pocket! I'm getting ready to make a whole mess of them on our next chilly day. It's my comfort food - dh won't touch them with a ten foot pole, but then again he thought Taco Bell was real Mexican when we first met! :lol:

I didn't have time to read the previous responses, so forgive me if I repeat what someone else has said.

Corn tortillas are for enchiladas, crunchy tacos, taquitos.

Flour tortillas are for burritos, soft tacos, chimichangas, and flautas (yum!).

Enchiladas are usually meat filling with or without cheese, rolled in a corn tortilla, topped with either red or green chile sauce, and heated through.

Burritos are usually bean filling with any combination of meat, cheese, rice, or in southern CA, tiny bits of potato. They are wrapped in flour tortillas, and then heated (but not fried, if it's the same thing but fried, it's a chimichanga). Burritos are sometimes served with red chile sauce over the top. Often that's called a "wet" burrito, but it's still not the same as an enchilada.

Though some of the recipes using cream of whatever soup or cream cheese may be delicious, I've not seen that used in authentic recipes. There is sometimes sour cream, and Mexican cheeses come in a variety of types, and some of them are pretty soft and creamy. In reality though, I've heard that authentic Mexican recipes really downplay the cheese and that Americanized versions are the only ones that are so overloaded with creaminess or cheese.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong on some of the details, and this is just based on a lifetime growing up fairly near the border. :)

I made enchiladas last night. I used corn tortillas, which I "fried" first on the griddle with a little cooking spray. The filling I used ground beef, onion, diced green chilis, black olives and black beans. I put some cheese in there and smothered it all with green chili sauce and baked it for 1/2 hour.

The difference between burritoes and enchiladas is that a burrito is generally a flour tortilla with beans and cheese and whatever else you feel like putting in there. An enchilada is made from corn tortillas and usually has meat and cheese or just cheese. It always has some kind of sauce on it.

We use corn tortillas and usually green sauce. I usually just use a canned version and I might add some green chilis to it. If I have the time I lightly fry each tortilla to help it roll better. It tastes better after it cooks, too. I lightly cheese ours because I hate super gooey ones.

Black Beans

Sauted greens with onions and garlic

sweet potatoes..this one is better with red sauce

leftover chili

shredded chicken

chili relleno enchiliadas are my husbands favorite. So much easier than making chili rellenos. Basically you roast the chilis in the oven or on a gas stove top. Put them in a paper bag. De skin and de seed. I use Poblanos and Anahaiam or Hatch chilis. Then you lay a strip if that and some cheese in a tortilla. Roll up. I cover these with a small amount of green sauce. You can sprinkle a mexican cheese on top. Monteray Jack works well here if you don't hae access to good mexican cheeses. You could use canned chilis, I just find the flavor is no where as good as fresh roasted ones.

Edited by Hausunterricht

If you want to try something different, look for tamales. Those are shredded and seasoned meat (we use pork or beef) in a layer of masa (like corn meal) and wrapped in a dried corn husk. The whole thing is steamed and is yummy goodness wrapped in a pocket! I'm getting ready to make a whole mess of them on our next chilly day. It's my comfort food - dh won't touch them with a ten foot pole, but then again he thought Taco Bell was real Mexican when we first met! :lol:

Oohhh, I love tamales! I made them for the first time fairly recently, and they came out pretty well for a first try. One thing about tamales though, they're either *wonderful*, or "meh", and there doesn't seem to be any in-between ground there.

Lol about Taco Bell being Mexican food! :lol: That's even worse than calling a Big Mac a cheeseburger. :D

I've never heard of using cream cheese or sour cream in enchiladas before. Here in New Mexico, enchiladas are corn tortillas stuffed with seasoned meat and topped with either red or green chile sauce. A burrito is a flour (wheat) tortilla stuffed with seasoned meat and other things (black beans, potatoes . . . eggs if it's a breakfast burrito). Around here, you can also usually order burritos smothered (in red or green chile, or sometimes even in green chile stew). But I didn't encounter that when I lived in OK and TX and it was "Tex-Mex" rather than "New Mexican". The New Mexican style - where everything is drowning in chile - took some getting used to but now I'm hooked. My breakfast this morning will be scrambled eggs topped with cheese and red chile (sans tortilla). Yum. And now I'm hungry so . . . :seeya:

I use this really easy tomato-based sauce:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mrs-espys-enchilada-sauce/detail.aspx

I used beef or chicken, whatever we have. Then I add cheese and diced green chile peppers.

FWIW, my husband was in Queretaro, Mexico (1 1/2 hrs from Mexico city) for 3 weeks in Feb, and said he didn't see a single enchilada, or sopapilla, or really any of the Tex-Mex food we have here. We were in shock that Mexicans didn't eat Mexican food.:lol:

I haven't read any other responses, forgive me. It's a busy day here.

What's in a real enchilada? And how is it different from a burrito at the end of the day? Is it because one is baked and one is typically not? If the burrito is not baked, then how is that different from a soft shell taco?

Enchiladas use corn tortillas, tacos can use corn or flour tortillas, burritos use flour tortillas. Enchiladas are covered with sauce and baked, burritos are not. Burritos often include fresh veggies that are not cooked. Burritos are typically bigger and wrapped differently than tacos, they often include wetter ingredients than tacos.

I make lots of different types of enchiladas. Instead of typing out the recipes, I'm going to just link a recipe that is similar to what I do.

My chicken enchiladas are actually adapted from this Martha Stewart recipe. Sometimes, I use a similar sauce to make spinach enchiladas with baby spinach, onions, chiles and cheese.

I sometimes make avocado enchiladas in a tomato based sauce. I adapted this recipe. I like this recipe because it's healthier than most enchiladas. I put more chiles/peppers inside of mine.

I found a great recipe in prevention magazine a few years back and made a couple changes. It called for low fat everything, but low fat stuff simply has no taste.

ground beef (cooked), black beans, steamed white rice mixed with sour cream and cream cheese. I can't stand cumin so left it out. Throw on some cheddar cheese or montery jack depending on mood. Rolled up in floor tortilla, drench with mild red taco sauce and bake for ten minutes. Absolutely yummy and even better the next day. Usually make quite a few and freeze, wrap individually so can pull out and microwave for lunch. Lots of good fiber.

I make enchiladas frequently, and I never use canned cream of anything soup (because personally I think canned soup is nasty--but that's just me). Here's my recipe:

Lightly fry corn tortillas in canola oil

Dip fried tortillas in enchilada sauce (I make my own, but canned is fine)

Fill tortillas with shredded meat (beef, chicken, or pork) and cheese

Place in baking dish, cover with more sauce and cheese

Bake at 350 until bubbly

Top with sour cream and serve

Yummy!

Enchiladas are like Mexican lasagna to me. I use the canned enchilada sauce (fairly low in carbs). I make a homemade taco seasoning and add extra chili powder and use that to season chicken when I cook it. I then fill LC tortillas with the chicken mixture. I top the rolled up tortillas with the sauce and then add some shredded cheese then bake it. That's it. I used to buy the El Paso enchilada bake kit, but that's too carby so this is a twist on that.

I've seen all kind of crazy enchilada recipes though (including stuff with canned condensed soup).

You can actually make it layered like a lasagna, by using masa harina to make fresh tortillas. Layer them flat with sauce and filling.

I use sour cream, olives, and or chopped green onion to garnish the top of my enchiladas. Mexican sour cream (crema) is more drizzly and sour. Yummmmmy!

If I wasn't cooking for vegans, I'd put a nice crumble-y Mexican cheese on top (not a thick layer of American type cheese).

Edited by helena

Sorry to be picky, but I live in Mexico and this really drives people here crazy. Burritos and chimichangas are not Mexican food. If anything, they are Ca food or maybe even Mexican-American food, big difference. People near the border are very familiar with burritos, but deeper south many people still do not know what they are. Enchiladas can have sauce poured over them if they are green or mole, or be fried with the sauce if they are red. They can be filled with chicken, cheese or shredded beef and maybe other ingrediants mostly used by the indigenous population. Flautas are traditionally made with corn tortillas. Yes, sour cream is used as a topping in many Mexican homes, but the original topping is Crema Mexicana. For cheese topping, common ones are cotija and fresca, not shredded. I know it sounds like a dumb thing to get worked up over, but Mexican food is a source of pride to Mexican's. Most of what you eat at restaurants is not even close to what you would eat in Mexico. My grandma has asked that I add that CARNE ASADA FRIES are not Mexican food. I guess that one really bothers her:lol: Also, Quesadillas are originally made with masa and fried;)

Mine is super easy but probably not authentic. I cook some chicken and cut it into small chunks, then mix in chopped red bell peppers, onions, a can of chopped green chilies, a package of cream cheese (cut into cubes) and about 1/4 can of mild green enchilada sauce and cook until cream cheese is melted. I then put the mixture into large flour tortillas (rolling them and turning under the ends), place them in a pan, cover with the remaining green enchilada sauce, top with shredded cheese and bake for 15 minutes. James Bond and Indy love these and request them almost weekly.

Sorry to be picky, but I live in Mexico and this really drives people here crazy. Burritos and chimichangas are not Mexican food. If anything, they are Ca food or maybe even Mexican-American food, big difference. People near the border are very familiar with burritos, but deeper south many people still do not know what they are. Enchiladas can have sauce poured over them if they are green or mole, or be fried with the sauce if they are red. They can be filled with chicken, cheese or shredded beef and maybe other ingrediants mostly used by the indigenous population. Flautas are traditionally made with corn tortillas. Yes, sour cream is used as a topping in many Mexican homes, but the original topping is Crema Mexicana. For cheese topping, common ones are cotija and fresca, not shredded. I know it sounds like a dumb thing to get worked up over, but Mexican food is a source of pride to Mexican's. Most of what you eat at restaurants is not even close to what you would eat in Mexico. My grandma has asked that I add that CARNE ASADA FRIES are not Mexican food. I guess that one really bothers her:lol: Also, Quesadillas are originally made with masa and fried;)

Let it out sister!

:D

Yeah, I guess we've kind of corrupted real Mexican food. But, that's nothing compared to we did to Chinese food.:D

I've been told that what we call Mexican food in the states isn't really Mexican food. With that in mind, here is how most restaurants in NM make green chile enchiladas (I don't know how to make red chile enchiladas becaue I don't like them):

I like to crockpot a chicken and then shred the meat. Either way, start with cooked, cut up chicken. I usually use a poultry seasoning when cooking the chicken.

You can roll or stack enchiladas.

You can buy a green enchilada sauce in the grocery store, if you buy that, then you don't need to make your sauce or add any chile. You can buy green chiles in the freezer section in a tub or a block.

My sauce: Cook 2 Tbsp flour and 2 Tbsp butter until bubbly, add 2 tsp chicken flavored Better Than Boullion, 1.5 cups of water and .5 cup of milk. You can use chicken broth and .5 cup of milk as well. Stir until thickened, add black pepper and salt. Add about .5 cup of chopped green chile (or 2 of the small cans).

Prepare corn tortillas by putting about 7 in a ziplock bag and seal 2/3rds the way. Heat in microwave for about 70 seconds (10 seconds per tortilla).

Spray casserole dish with Pam.

To roll:

Put a tortilla in casserole dish, put a small amount of meat, sauce to cover and little cheese (I use a mexican 4 blend), then roll. I put the seam side down to hold the roll in place. Continue until you are out of materials or your casserole dish is full. When your casserole dish is full pour a little sauce on top and sprinkle with cheese.

To stack:

layer tortillas, meat, sauce and cheese. Make sure you end up with cheese on top.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Serve with refried beans, salsa, tortilla chips.

Everyone I've made this for LOVES it. Even those born and raise in NM (not me) say they are the best and most authentic enchiladas they've tasted.

ETA: I top my portion with raw onions. Dh doesn't like onions otherwise I'd sautee them and put them right in the casserole.

In case someone hasn't already beat me to it, you can buy a round of Mexican crumbling cheese at most supermarkets (even Walmart) and it is delicious. I use either that or pepper jack in enchiladas. There is another name for the Mexican cheese but I can't recall it off the top of my head.

But, that's nothing compared to we did to Chinese food.:D

OMG, the BEST Chinese food we've ever eaten is here in Germany. It is so NOT like American Chinese food. It's dam(n) delicious. In fact we had some for dinner last night. When we eat Chinese in the States it tastes so....bland. I do however love the little fried doughnut things covered in sugar that we have in America. Apparently that's not real Chinese. Who knew? ;)

http://www.alongwayfromthethetahouse.com/2008/09/breakdown-enchiladas.html

I made these for a friend who had a new baby and her husband is Mexican--he said he loved them! They were really yummy.

"Breakdown Enchiladas

• 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (7-ounce) bottle salsa verde (I use Herdez brand)
  • 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (I just buy a rotisserie chicken and viola! Easy as pie.
  • 1/3 cup (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
  • 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 4 lime wedges

I doubled this recipe and made two pans which my friend Gini promptly took from me when I was delivering Carrie's. I don't think she was near a breakdown but, you know, who couldn't use dinner already prepared?

Preheat oven to 425°.

Combine first 4 ingredients in a blender and whip those puppies into smooth green goodness. Combine chicken and cream cheese in a large bowl and mix it up with your hands. Make sure they're washed. Stir in 1/2 cup salsa mixture. Reserve remaining salsa mixture.

Bring your chicken broth to a simmer in a little skillet. Working with one tortilla at a time, add it to your pan; cook 20 seconds or until moist, turning once. Remove tortilla; drain on paper towels. Spoon about 1/4 cup chicken mixture down center of tortilla; roll up. Place tortilla, seam-side down, in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, broth, and chicken mixture.

Pour remaining salsa mixture over enchiladas; sprinkle evenly with queso fresco and chili powder. Bake at 425° for 18 minutes. VERY IMPORTANT: When you serve these babies, squeeze your lime wedge over them. It gives them a fresh, little kick."

OMG, the BEST Chinese food we've ever eaten is here in Germany. It is so NOT like American Chinese food. It's dam(n) delicious. In fact we had some for dinner last night. When we eat Chinese in the States it tastes so....bland. I do however love the little fried doughnut things covered in sugar that we have in America. Apparently that's not real Chinese. Who knew? ;)

That is so funny, I always say the best Mexican food I've ever had was in Japan. And I'm from the southwest - I've had a lot of Mexican food!