Menu

This morning was looking good, and then we had a shipwreck!

Today is my 4th born's 4th birthday. He loved this Pirate Ship Cake, and it looked easy enough. So, by 6:00 this morning, I had baked the cakes, cleaned up the kitchen from small group last night, and had done the treadmill.

Sounds like I should have plenty of time to ice the cake and still get some school in with the older boys, right?

I assembled the cake and it fell apart! Gah! And not just a little bit, I mean it's completely useless. Talk about some major structural integrity issues.

A bit of panic, a quick thought on how to make it out of sheet cakes instead of round cakes, off to Albertson's with 5 boys in tow to buy more ingredients, and now I've got more cake in the oven. It's now 11:45, and I've got to cool the cakes and get them decorated, which should leave me just enough time to get everyone fed, clean and ready for Judo this afternoon.

So much for school. Um, I think this is being used to humble me for being proud for being so industrious this morning. :eek:

Ooo I can relate.

That sounds very much like me when I tried that very cake. It must be cursed! :p

I, too, thought, oh, this looks easy enough. I've assembled my share of cakes, I can do this. Then, yeah, *shipwreck* the only way to describe it. I also quickly came up with an alternate plan. Rushing about to get it all done in time.

Um, we will get to see the revised finished cake, right? :)

And Happy Birthday to your little man!

Ooo I can relate.

That sounds very much like me when I tried that very cake. It must be cursed! :p

I, too, thought, oh, this looks easy enough. I've assembled my share of cakes, I can do this. Then, yeah, *shipwreck* the only way to describe it. I also quickly came up with an alternate plan. Rushing about to get it all done in time.

Um, we will get to see the revised finished cake, right? :)

And Happy Birthday to your little man!

Yep. I'll blog all about it tomorrow. I'll even post the shipwreck. The boys are thrilled because they're getting cake twice today :eek:. My oldest wants me to set it on fire, though (since it's a shipwreck :rolleyes:).

This reminds me of my ds's birthday last year. He wanted a firetruck cake. No problem, right? We had gone up to Iowa to have his party with family (where everyone in my family lives, sniff, sniff) and I had decided to bring all the stuff and bake/decorate his cake there. I get it all made the night before and it looks fantastic. I'm so excited for ds to see it because I know how much he will love it. Next day, we are getting ready for the party. I don't even look at the cake or anything because it's in the box and I wanted it to be a surprise for ds. Fast forward, everyone has arrived, presents have been opened, pizza has been consumed. It's time for the cake. I go open the box and what happened? The front of the firetruck (the cab), which had been a separate piece of cake held to the body of the truck by frosting and toothpicks, had fallen forward and the whole front of the cake (including the cute little face of the fireman I made in the window) and was smashed. I mean, truly, it was unrepairable. I cried. Literally, I stood there and cried. I was so embarrassed to "present" this cake to ds in front of all these people but what else were we going to do? All the kids were waiting for their cake, ds was excited to see it. He was so sweet though. When I put the cake in front of him, I said, "I'm so sorry, buddy. Apparently it fell during the night and smashed the front." He said, "It's Ok, it's smashed, Mom. Just try not to do it again next time." LOL! What a good boy!

Anyway, I am so glad to hear (and impressed) that you were able to have time to make a new cake and it all worked out in the end. I can't believe all that you accomplished by 6am! Yes, impressed is what I am!

Were you able to find (obviously you did) gifts for him?

This reminds me of my ds's birthday last year. He wanted a firetruck cake. No problem, right? We had gone up to Iowa to have his party with family (where everyone in my family lives, sniff, sniff) and I had decided to bring all the stuff and bake/decorate his cake there. I get it all made the night before and it looks fantastic. I'm so excited for ds to see it because I know how much he will love it. Next day, we are getting ready for the party. I don't even look at the cake or anything because it's in the box and I wanted it to be a surprise for ds. Fast forward, everyone has arrived, presents have been opened, pizza has been consumed. It's time for the cake. I go open the box and what happened? The front of the firetruck (the cab), which had been a separate piece of cake held to the body of the truck by frosting and toothpicks, had fallen forward and the whole front of the cake (including the cute little face of the fireman I made in the window) and was smashed. I mean, truly, it was unrepairable. I cried. Literally, I stood there and cried. I was so embarrassed to "present" this cake to ds in front of all these people but what else were we going to do? All the kids were waiting for their cake, ds was excited to see it. He was so sweet though. When I put the cake in front of him, I said, "I'm so sorry, buddy. Apparently it fell during the night and smashed the front." He said, "It's Ok, it's smashed, Mom. Just try not to do it again next time." LOL! What a good boy!

Anyway, I am so glad to hear (and impressed) that you were able to have time to make a new cake and it all worked out in the end. I can't believe all that you accomplished by 6am! Yes, impressed is what I am!

Were you able to find (obviously you did) gifts for him?

Oh, no! I would've cried, too. What a sweet boy you have :). I did find gifts for him, and he's happy. Actually, I took him to the store and we "happened" to walk through the toy department and I paid attention to what caught his eye. What he received is at the bottom of the blog entry on his birthday.