Menu

EPGY Language Arts or other online program?

I've heard wonderful things about the EPGY math program but can't seem to find much about their LAW (language arts & writing) program. The handful of reviews I found were mixed. Has anyone else used EPGY LAW program? Did you go through OE or use their pricey tutor? How about the RWL (Reading and Writing about Literature) with LAW? What did you think?

Besides EPGY, can anyone else recommend a good online language arts programs? DD enjoys the independence of learning online and loves to read & read & read but we haven't much success with structured LA curriculum.

Thanks for your input!

Dd will start the writing W10A program in the fall. (she's 13) This is not a self paced program anymore. Students need to visit the virtual classroom once a week. This is the first time we'll be using EPGY's language program so I cannot comment on how we like it.

I don't have any experience with epgy. My son took one of CTY's online literature classes for 4th & 5th graders. My son enjoyed the class, the teacher comments, and the online interaction with the other students. That being said, it was a very expensive class.

For the past two years, we have used online g3 for literature. We have been very happy with it.

Dd took one of the writing classes. Her teacher was okay, but he made use of very limited visuals and dd tends to space out if everything is auditory. It wasn't the best fit for her. I've heard other teachers make more use of the screen to illustrate their teaching so our experience may have been very different with another teacher.

My biggest problem with the class was that the short stories were rather modern and depressing. That was the reason we didn't continue. I thought I'd prefer dd spend her time reading more classic literature, with the kind of values that you tend to find there, especially considering her age. KWIM?

The writing instruction was good but nothing spectacular. She completed several five paragraph essays and got that format down really well.

We sent in our tax return and got a huge break on tuition so it made it worth it for us. If I had to have paid the normal rate, I don't know if I would have thought it was worth it.

Hope this helps.

Now you've got me thinking if I should look at it again for my next one.:001_smile:

My son did EPGY LAW 2-6 for a while in 09-10 schoolyear. He would have been 7 or 8 yrs old at the time. He went from grade 2.5 to 5 in 110 sessions. By the end of it he was ID'ing paragraph construction and understood a lot of the basic mechanics, yet he was not writing any more (no more output than previously) or having to write for that program so I dropped it and went to the full MCT homeschool package last year. Also the interface for the LAW program was pretty buggy and frustrating at that time. I don't know if they've improved it or not.

MCT is a much better match for this kid. There's more detail and a higher expectation of his ability to learn and identify those details such as subject vs. object pronouns and gerunds, participles and infinitives. By the end of our 2010-2011 schoolyear, he was actually enjoying the four-level sentence analysis and he at least has to write on those exercise pages. Handwriting and output are still issues for us though he's not bad for a 9 yr old. The accompanying books of Caesar's English and Building Poems offer exercises that he enjoys. We add in a basic spelling book - FlashKids, a Harcourt property - and have him do short book reports for further writing exercise. He does a huge amount of output for creating computer mini-games (in Spore). We insist that he use proper grammar and spelling in those (mostly dialog between characters) regardless of what other creators are doing.

I may consider the EPGY writing program when he gets to the level of writing essays and where some outside instruction would be of more help but for his current level it's not for us.

hth

My dd (age 7) has only recently begun EPGY LAW (since end of May) and so far so good. I think they do a decent job on teaching mechanics, and she's done quite a bit of sentence structure & grammar work. She is doing the online self-pace so there's nothing outside of the online session to be done. We are not homeschoolers so I think this does a good job of supplementing/enhancing. We would not depend on this solely. I think the class with a live teacher would be more beneficial though.