Menu

If you were going to teach a world history 4-5th grade for a co-op class...

KristineIN

Story of the World Activities Guide!!!

I was in a co-op three years ago and this is the curriculum that they used.

I asked my fourth grade son what would you teach 4th-5th graders in a co-op. He said immediately Story of the World.

I like Story of the World because it is so well written. I also enjoy that it gives just enough information. You can add the literature parts, the maps, the games, and the activities from the Activities Guide.

The beauty of the way my co-op did this curriculum is the following:

Co-op was one day a week. The child did the readings and writings at home. The activities, the maps, and games were done at the co-op.

It makes for a nice co-op program.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Is this going to be just one year? Then I don't see how you can use SOTW, as it would be so much, so fast. CHOW is probably the best thing for that scenario. I'd have them all get the CHOW workbook (available directly from Calvert, not that expensive) as the outlining can be their homework. The workbook has activities in the back. They're not too amazing, but I assume you have the SOTW AG's to add more pizzaz. Then you could do some sort of timeline or chronology marking and mapping. CHOW has a staircase and you could make a sheet playing off that, having them fill in their own each week and adding to the big class one.

Thanks ladies, I spoke with another gal on our co-op board and told her I thought we needed to pick a topic and not call it "World History" She was sending out the survey and had "world history" on there. I think I'm going to teach New World Explorers from Homeschool in the Woods in place of what she was wanting.

Thanks,

Kristine